What clubs could seriously tempt McClaren to leave?

Mostyn6

IN a thread yesterday, it was suggested that some of the Premier League clubs might now have McClaren on their radar, and could be 'licking their lips' at the chance of poaching him as their manager.

I was thinking about this and then trying to work out if I was being deluded, or the things I am seeing and feeling at Derby County are genuine. Am I getting caught up in the good feeling and romance of it all? Or is Steve McClaren 'home'?

I looked at some of the teams who could've looked at McClaren. Villa? Norwich? Sunderland? West Brom? West Ham?, then I think that perhaps Steve could have Derby on level terms (or even above) those teams by September!

Then you look at the teams in the 'level above', your Newcastle, Swansea, Southampton, Stoke and co, can they offer him something that he cannot earn himself by succeeding here?

I cannot see the teams at the true top looking at McClaren, which may be harsh, but he's English and not high-profile enough.

What's left? Europe? Well I think his return to Holland burnt him a little. He didn't deserve the sack then and perhaps may think his current security is better.

I don't think there are any clubs that would be interested that could possibly steal him.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

IN a thread yesterday, it was suggested that some of the Premier League clubs might now have McClaren on their radar, and could be 'licking their lips' at the chance of poaching him as their manager.

I was thinking about this and then trying to work out if I was being deluded, or the things I am seeing and feeling at Derby County are genuine. Am I getting caught up in the good feeling and romance of it all? Or is Steve McClaren 'home'?

I looked at some of the teams who could've looked at McClaren. Villa? Norwich? Sunderland? West Brom? West Ham?, then I think that perhaps Steve could have Derby on level terms (or even above) those teams by September!

Then you look at the teams in the 'level above', your Newcastle, Swansea, Southampton, Stoke and co, can they offer him something that he cannot earn himself by succeeding here?

I cannot see the teams at the true top looking at McClaren, which may be harsh, but he's English and not high-profile enough.

What's left? Europe? Well I think his return to Holland burnt him a little. He didn't deserve the sack then and perhaps may think his current security is better.

I don't think there are any clubs that would be interested that could possibly steal him.

He's had success and failures as a Manager mostly success and always successful as a coach.

I feel he has come back to his home at DCFC and he has unfinished business.

He will be concentrating on a very difficult Xmas programme and as regards being tempted away I don't see it happening at all as he's loving it back at the Rams.

RAMS4LIFE. Merry Xmas

I do believe Villa fans made the mistake some of ours did by really calling him for not being wanted. Think they would least be a top 8 club now with him in charge.

I think he will stay and build with us.

If he gets us to the Prem then there aren't many teams outside the top 8 in the Prem that would be a step up from us. I can't see Manure, Arsenal, Chelsea or Man City looking at him so he would need the likes of Spurs, Everton or Liverpool to come in for him and I can't see that happening.

He's achieved nothing at Derby yet, a 7 game winning streak isn't going to get a chairman looking, also a lot of the hard work was done by NC, which Mc acknowledges.  He's been brought in to take Derby to the next level and at the moment he seems to be moving in the right direction.

As Mc would say, nothing is won in December.

He's achieved nothing at Derby yet, a 7 game winning streak isn't going to get a chairman looking, also a lot of the hard work was done by NC, which Mc acknowledges.  He's been brought in to take Derby to the next level and at the moment he seems to be moving in the right direction.

As Mc would say, nothing is won in December.

Whilst that's true, the attraction would be the instant improvement. Imagine how Sunderland would look right now if they'd had our results since sacking Di Canio..

A three month spell in charge, when all he has had to do is tinker with an already assembled squad, is not really a career-defining moment. If we were to get promoted this year, then the jury would still be out until at least half way through next season - and if he still looked an attractive proposition then, it would be because we would have strengthened and be mid-table or better in the Premier League (no idea whether that would be a likely scenario or not).

In short, no-one at all.

I'd actually like the owners to be concerned that he is on some teams radar. If they have an ambition they will want to keep him and the best place to see this would be in transfer support. This goes for the management team and not just mc

Perhaps they are.

I think you guys are getting a tad overboard... He's just signed a 3 year contact at Derby - massive fee to buy him out of it. Not to mention he could barely get a championship job before this stint. As stated, he's achieved nout

Whilst I agree with the first part but barely get a Championship job? Was only out of work for 4 months from leaving Twente and joining QPR. Maybe he had offers in that time which wasn't quite right.

Whilst I agree with the first part but barely get a Championship job? Was only out of work for 4 months from leaving Twente and joining QPR. Maybe he had offers in that time which wasn't quite right.

He applied and was interviewed for the Wigan job. He also applied for the Wolves job in the summer before they appointed Jackett, followed by applying for the England u21 job

I'd actually like the owners to be concerned that he is on some teams radar. If they have an ambition they will want to keep him and the best place to see this would be in transfer support. This goes for the management team and not just mc

Perhaps they are.

Hope so, last time he was here the club didn't seem t' do owt t' try and keep him. I think they even paid his taxi fare t' Manchester.

Archived