will we sign player(s) in jan.

Tricky1884

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What worries me most is what we do if we lose a key player for a few games (or longer) due to injury. In some areas we just don't have decent enough cover. Eg Right back and Wisdom …who steps in for him ?! If we lose either Buxton or Keane when Keogh is out (ligaments ?) then Wisdom could step in easily as CB but then no RB. I don't think OB is ready fitness - wise and as much as I like the lad just think he's been left behind quality-wise in terms of the team as a whole.

I also don't see a replacement for Martin and without him we would probably have to change our style of play.

Theres also the holding midfield role if Eustace is out. Just can't see Hendrick doing that particularly week as his instincts are to move upfield (thats not a dig at him, i think he's a super player). Cisse ?! Cant see that he's gonna be around as of Jan. Who else ?

It's those 3 areas I think we need to pay attention to.

Oh, and whilst I like Fossie there is no cover for him - and tbh we could probably get someone even stronger - like a Wisdom class player.

What worries me most is what we do if we lose a key player for a few games (or longer) due to injury. In some areas we just don't have decent enough cover. Eg Right back and Wisdom …who steps in for him ?! If we lose either Buxton or Keane when Keogh is out (ligaments ?) then Wisdom could step in easily as CB but then no RB. I don't think OB is ready fitness - wise and as much as I like the lad just think he's been left behind quality-wise in terms of the team as a whole.

I also don't see a replacement for Martin and without him we would probably have to change our style of play.

Theres also the holding midfield role if Eustace is out. Just can't see Hendrick doing that particularly week as his instincts are to move upfield (thats not a dig at him, i think he's a super player). Cisse ?! Cant see that he's gonna be around as of Jan. Who else ?

It's those 3 areas I think we need to pay attention to.

Oh, and whilst I like Fossie there is no cover for him - and tbh we could probably get someone even stronger - like a Wisdom class player.

Cover worries me too

I'd ship a couple of fringe players out e.g Ben Davies and possibly Sammon if the price is right.

I reckon we'll bring in a versatile defender to keep both full backs on their toes (More for Forsyth than Wisdom). Extend Keane's loan and get Dawkins on a permenant.

Don't ask me why but i've got a feeling we'll bring in one or two surprise ones too. Just feel like McClaren will go for it and use the position we're in to attract some top players. Bloody hell, cannot remember the last time I was this excited for a transfer window!

Depends a bit on injuries and how we cope with the next three or four games. On top of Keogh it looked to me like Hughes and Russell were carrying knocks by the end of the game vs Donny. If we lose two or three key players at once I think we might struggle to retain our momentum. Although he has his critics, Keogh has been very good in the last 10 games, we will certainly miss him if he's out for any period.

The flip side is that I wouldn't want us to bloated by too many loans at the expense of giving the likes of Russell, Bennet, Sammon the chance to stake a claim on the injured player's place.

At the moment I think we're just about okay unless we can pull something exceptional out of the bag in January to really state our intent and put even more fear into the rest of the league!

For cover at full back, I dont see any problem recalling Freeman, he can fill in adequately if Fos or Wisdom are out for a game or two, longer would require more thought.

Just defensive cover for the full back spots. But to me, I don't know who you would get without trying to sign someone for the first team. You can't simply go out and get players good enough to be playing week in and week out just to sit on the bench.

Transfer window is always opportunity to make your team better.

I'd take

CB to pair Keane. Whitbread looked like best CB we have at the moment, but I'm sure Mac can get us better than 5 or 6 choice of Leics.

LB, Forsyth would be great back up.

Freeman back to cover RB or hopefully there's recall option.

I'd like to have fit Cisse around longer. If that's not possible, then DM who is like Eustace but faster.

Dawks 'til the end of season.

Those I'd take straightaway. Hopefully we can keep our midfield and forwards for now, they've "clicked" so well that even if we got better player in, it could be distraction to our attacking play (eventhough I'd be tempted to sell Martin, he should play in South America, Portugal or similar, not in Championship)

I think he'll definitely go for a left back. He was quoted as saying "Forsyth has improved", but I think he'll replace him.

Although things are going well, it will be interesting to see if he goes for a higher quality replacement of a current starter, bumping someone to cover. We have to start thinking that Prem football is a possibility, this season or later. I think we've seen the folly of bringing in players to get promoted and then starting from scratch once that happens. We should always be looking to tweak the quality upwards. Harsh but realistic.

Depends how much our owners want to chip in.

If it were me, I'd push the boat out to bring in a quality centre back and striker.

I know we have Wisdom who can cover in the middle at the back but that then takes him away from RB. Forsyth, needs to work on his defensive side of his game - looks good going forward, but shaky at the back. How close is OB to coming back? Or Whitbread? TBH, even if not far away I'd still like a physically imposing centre back if possible.

Think we're ok in midfield - Ward can cover either wing, Coutts can't be far away from a return, and Dawkins can play out on the left. In the middle we have Cisse and Eustace for the holding role, and then Bryson, Hughes, Hendrick further forward.

Although we have Sammon, Russell and Bennett to cover up front, I don't see any of them as being as good a target man as Martin in.

I think we're only a few players away from having a realistic chance at having a go at the automatics. Hope our owners see that.

I think he'll definitely go for a left back. He was quoted as saying "Forsyth has improved", but I think he'll replace him.

Although things are going well, it will be interesting to see if he goes for a higher quality replacement of a current starter, bumping someone to cover. We have to start thinking that Prem football is a possibility, this season or later. I think we've seen the folly of bringing in players to get promoted and then starting from scratch once that happens. We should always be looking to tweak the quality upwards. Harsh but realistic.

I've always wondered if Forsyth could be converted into a decent DCM to cover Eustace.

Depends how much our owners want to chip in.

If it were me, I'd push the boat out to bring in a quality centre back and striker.

I know we have Wisdom who can cover in the middle at the back but that then takes him away from RB. Forsyth, needs to work on his defensive side of his game - looks good going forward, but shaky at the back. How close is OB to coming back? Or Whitbread? TBH, even if not far away I'd still like a physically imposing centre back if possible.

Think we're ok in midfield - Ward can cover either wing, Coutts can't be far away from a return, and Dawkins can play out on the left. In the middle we have Cisse and Eustace for the holding role, and then Bryson, Hughes, Hendrick further forward.

Although we have Sammon, Russell and Bennett to cover up front, I don't see any of them as being as good a target man as Martin in.

I think we're only a few players away from having a realistic chance at having a go at the automatics. Hope our owners see that.

I think cover for Martin is a must for two reason's really. a) to give him a rest from time to time b) cover for injury. Shame Ball bag isn't quite up to that level of performance. 

The last time we were flying results-wise at this time of the year was when Krankie was manager. He nearly threw promotion away with his January signings (Dave Jones, Gary Teale, Stephen Pearson, Jay McEverley, Jon Macken, Tyrone Mears). Five out of the six were immediate first-choices and remained that way for the following season.

What it did was completely disrupt the original 'togetherness', it failed to address the one area where we had no real cover (central defence was always perm two from Johnno, Leaky and Big Dave) and, of course, it created massive disruption in the dressing room over the 'promotion bonuses' which had obviously been used to entice the new signings.

No massive changes this time please - a tweak here, a tweak there.

Archived