Keogh/Keane

CapeTownRams

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It is funny reading this thread after a number of threads where most people slated him. I remember when people were saying he should be dropped and that he shouldn't be captain. As soon as he goes off, we apparently lost our way and lacked leadership.

I think this will affect us though. Keane looks like a good player but we'll miss the settled partnership of Keogh/Buxton that's been doing so well. Ideally, you don't want to change a winning team.

Michael Keane said in an interview he has never played on the right side of the CB's why on earth Bucko didn't go across to RCB I don't know. Surely the coaching staff made a real lack of judgement there?

Some will argue Bucko is playing so well you shouldn't move him but Bucko's distribution with his right foot is equally as good as his left foot.

And simply put Keane is left footed, Bucko is right footed it would be better for the entire team if they swapped, and after all the team is the most important thing.

Finally I can see people saying it shouldn't matter which side of CB you are playing you are a CB and should be able to play either side. I strongly apposite this argument and as an example I don't think Jason Shackell would be half as good as he is now if he played on the right side of the two CB's simply because he only has a left foot.

You can only judge a player on what they do. I've been one of Keogh's biggest critics, his failings WERE costing us goals and points, at times he was calamitous. The goal threat he provided in the first season was / is missing. The defence was disorganised, he didn't stand out as a leader at all.

All this judgement was made when he was playing under Nigel Clough, who ('s coaches) was (were) unable to produce a consistently good defensive unit.

One of the first things McClaren set out to do was improve our play off the ball, to get rid of the indiscipline that constantly lead to our team shape going out the window and made us a soft touch.

Now everyone knows their role, everyone is organised - the players focus on doing what they are good at (on and off the ball). Keogh has been one of the biggest beneficieries of this, and he's been very good recently.

Michael Keane said in an interview he has never played on the right side of the CB's why on earth Bucko didn't go across to RCB I don't know. Surely the coaching staff made a real lack of judgement there?

Some will argue Bucko is playing so well you shouldn't move him but Bucko's distribution with his right foot is equally as good as his left foot.

And simply put Keane is left footed, Bucko is right footed it would be better for the entire team if they swapped, and after all the team is the most important thing.

Finally I can see people saying it shouldn't matter which side of CB you are playing you are a CB and should be able to play either side. I strongly apposite this argument and as an example I don't think Jason Shackell would be half as good as he is now if he played on the right side of the two CB's simply because he only has a left foot.

Really good points

You can only judge a player on what they do. I've been one of Keogh's biggest critics, his failings WERE costing us goals and points, at times he was calamitous. The goal threat he provided in the first season was / is missing. The defence was disorganised, he didn't stand out as a leader at all.

All this judgement was made when he was playing under Nigel Clough, who ('s coaches) was (were) unable to produce a consistently good defensive unit.

One of the first things McClaren set out to do was improve our play off the ball, to get rid of the indiscipline that constantly lead to our team shape going out the window and made us a soft touch.

Now everyone knows their role, everyone is organised - the players focus on doing what they are good at (on and off the ball). Keogh has been one of the biggest beneficieries of this, and he's been very good recently.

I've always thought Keogh was good but you do make good points

The Bucko point is a good one. He looked like a different player with Keogh next to him.

No disrespect to Keane, as I thought that he looked handy when he came on, but the loss of Keogh certainly destabilized things at the back, and Bucko in particular looked shaky after that. I can't remember him losing a header in the first half, yet the second, different story.

In terms of leadership, Bryson would be the obvious candidate when keogh/Eustance aren't around, but is he that kind of leader, or more like Gerrard who 'leads by example'? I think we needed the 'shouty' kind of leader yesterday and we didn't really have that when Keogh/Eustace were off the pitch.

Did you not notice Buxton's distribution during the Ipswich game? When Whitbread was on the left.

The Bucko point is a good one. He looked like a different player with Keogh next to him.

No disrespect to Keane, as I thought that he looked handy when he came on, but the loss of Keogh certainly destabilized things at the back, and Bucko in particular looked shaky after that. I can't remember him losing a header in the first half, yet the second, different story.

In terms of leadership, Bryson would be the obvious candidate when keogh/Eustance aren't around, but is he that kind of leader, or more like Gerrard who 'leads by example'? I think we needed the 'shouty' kind of leader yesterday and we didn't really have that when Keogh/Eustace were off the pitch.

Definitely Bryson, a true professional that leads by example.

The captaincy seemed to weigh heavily on his shoulders. Certainly, he couldn't keep up with Theo. Our defence in general is a bit slow and when you have that, you have to have a good understanding to provide cover. I guess that's what Buxton and Keane will have to work on, assuming Keogh isn't fit.

As showed yesterday, Buxton is a solid championship defender but pace is his achilles heel. As soon as a quick striker( ie. Theo) gets the wrong side of him, he's never going to catch him. When we come up against a team with 2 pacy strikers, I would like to see Keogh and Keane playing together. That for me could be a superb centre back pairing, but we will have to wait and see.    :)

As showed yesterday, Buxton is a solid championship defender but pace is his achilles heel. As soon as a quick striker( ie. Theo) gets the wrong side of him, he's never going to catch him. When we come up against a team with 2 pacy strikers, I would like to see Keogh and Keane playing together. That for me could be a superb centre back pairing, but we will have to wait and see. :)

Totally agree, I think Keane just needs two or three games to get in the groove of things. For all Buckos heart and passion, he has to play to the highest of his ability every game and not have a bad game. With Keogh he can be only 70/80% and still manage to get through a game. Not saying it's wrong is what Bucko has to do to keep his place. Hope I made sense? Feel free to rip me apart

think people are now guilty of over-rating Keogh. He's a poor leader/captain. The leaders out there appear to be Eustace and Martin. Admittedly, Eustace on the whole has proven a few people wrong, I personally was dead against signing him, so I was wrong there. Keogh though is a liability, his passing is rubbish, his technique is awful, his heading is weak, the only thing he has is commitment.

Archived