Brian Clough

LeicesterFanInPeace

Hello DCFC Fans,  Leicester fan in peace here,

I have been a Leicester fan from a young age (currently 22), However Derby County have always had a soft spot in my heart.

I was always brought up with the expression when discussing football management "Cloughie was the best of all" 

And have always deeply admired him as a manager, and as a man.

No bullshit. Hard hitting, Says what needs to be said, and not what the people at the top want to hear. This attitude has helped me in my career in business, and just listening to  interviews  of the man, I have learnt so much. (even if it was all before my time!)

His success in those times were completely unrepeatable, what he done with the players at hand was astonishing, and there will never be another cloughie.

With school friends being derby fans, and with the love of clough been instilled into me from a young age, I was very nearly a derby fan...

(I was taken to a Leicester - united game, so it grew from there)

And with the mutual hate of forest from yourselves and Leicester fans, It was derby or leicester. I'd never been to a derby game! (Sometimes I wish it was the derby game I was taken too!)

So that aside, I just wanted to mention just how great a fan I am of him.

(Posting this in the LCFC forum wouldnt get much  gratitude)

I was a fan of Nigel clough aswell, I was told by a friend who was well in at derby, that one of your  back room  staff left for man city (cannot remember his name) but stated.

"I left because they offered me a  ridiculous  wage, without it I would of stayed, the work nigel has done here... these lads are guaranteed promotion in the next few seasons"

And it looks as though the platform built by NC has worked so far for SM, To be honest, if we fail to reach top two this season. 

I fully expect it to be you who takes that spot.

It was a GREAT shame, that Mr Clough and Sam Longson did not stick together.

Because if he had stayed, DCFC would have the trophies, and who knows where the team could be today. Unfortunately he was to  succeed  most of his career at those red ********.

It was astounding how he could take players like mcgovern, who was not the best player in division 4! to winning the european cup. 

As I said, I have always had a soft spot for DCFC (Although its a well kept secret at Leicester!)

I really hope you go up this season (Along with us) and hope that SM can keep you up next year.

If anybody has not seen it, There is a fantastic short documentary on the man (Most of it about his time at forest, but the pure respect for the man would see you enjoy it) It's been shortened and loses sync towards the end, but is still a good watch!!

Just wondered what stories or memories you have of him, in his time here.

Take care and good luck all.

Lee

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It was a GREAT shame, that Mr Clough and Sam Longson did not stick together.

Because if he had stayed, DCFC would have the trophies, and who knows where the team could be today. Unfortunately he was to  succeed  most of his career at those red ********.

Lee

I can't remember where i saw it but i remember seeing a clip of Brian in which he said that he 'enjoyed the success at Derby more than he did the success at Forest'.

You know the sorting hat in scene in Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone? Harry gets given the choice by the hat. "You can do great things in Slytherin.." said the hat. But Harry being Harry, he chose the good side of Gryffindor.

You, my friend, chose Slytherin.

The Leicester/Derby rivalry is a bit sh1te really. You'd never get a thread like this from a Forest fan.

Sky Sports don't seem to have got that though.

I would say best of luck back at you, but you're one of our main rivals in the table now. Down with the Foxes and that sort of thing.

Something doesn't sit right that you are reportedly the same age as me yet seem to know about things like McGovern in division 4.

But anyway....

We don't care about Leicester... despite what the TV says or what "desperate for a rival" Leicester fans think.

Something doesn't sit right that you are reportedly the same age as me yet seem to know about things like McGovern in division 4.

But anyway....

We don't care about Leicester... despite what the TV says or what "desperate for a rival" Leicester fans think.

Big football following family, Grandad :)

Agree to the rivalry, I don't have a problem with you, and most leicester fans don't have a problem with you...

It's just the geographical rivalry!

Aren't Vardy, Nugent, Wood, Schlupp, Waghorn, Taylor-Fletcher, Vassell, Joachim, Marshall, Cottee and Lineker enough for you?

Vardy - Work horse, been one of our best players this season, scored 6, should be on 15

Nugent - 4 goals from open play this season, about 5 in 45 away games.. should be top scorer by a mile, been missing since january.

Schlupp - More of a winger, Not got a clue when he's infront of goal

Waghorn - Has 1 good game in 10

Taylor-Fletcher - Less said the better, good touch, good pass... other than that he's been disappointing..

Vassell was on about 30k a week at us (Thanks sven)

I'd have the rest back  :lol:

Just been injured forever. When he's played he has looked good... We're (hopefully) not keeping him though   :)

I always said the same, His debut he was rusty, But towards the 75 minute mark commanded the game, then looked quality for a few games, had a knock for a few weeks, came back gave away a penalty in the last minute, lost a game and been **** since for us.. 

Nigel Pearson has the tendency to fall out with players!

Archived