"Clough may raid Rams"

drgoodspeak

Im certain he wont play for DCFC again. His style of centre half does not suit this team at all. What level he can play at I do not know but he has a certain aura about him at DCFC and I would like to see him stay on in some capacity. Coaching/ ambassador type role.

I'd have to agree. At his best he was immense in this league. You're right though, not only is this team more mobile and dynamic, I don't think he'd stand a chance in the premiership if we're promoted. If he can get back to fitness and form he'll be a great signing for someone, most likely on a free.

Seems a long time has passed since that old cry of "Chris Barker for England".

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If he goes for one of the peripheral players I can see it happening, regardless of what happened in the past. We don't know exactly how well he got on with the players frozen out. Ok, the relationship was clearly strained for some, but not necessarily to breaking point. I'm sure a few would let bygones be bygones at the thought of a fresh contract and first team football.

Also take a look at Chris Porter - barely played under Clough here (albeit down to injury) and eventually allowed to leave. I'm sure at the time it was frustrating for all parties involved, but now he's been recalled and is starting every game for SUFC. 

If he goes for one of the peripheral players I can see it happening, regardless of what happened in the past. We don't know exactly how well he got on with the players frozen out. Ok, the relationship was clearly strained for some, but not necessarily to breaking point. I'm sure a few would let bygones be bygones at the thought of a fresh contract and first team football.

Also take a look at Chris Porter - barely played under Clough here (albeit down to injury) and eventually allowed to leave. I'm sure at the time it was frustrating for all parties involved, but now he's been recalled and is starting every game for SUFC. 

Porter was chosen above Hulse and Steven Davies when fit.

Porter was chosen above Hulse and Steven Davies when fit.

Not sure how much truth to that there is to that. Seem to remember Porter barely figuring for huge periods thanks to injury. In fact Wikipedia reckons he only made 25 starts in his whole 2.5 years at Derby. On top of that, he came on 19 times as a sub, so 44 appearances in total. I also remember Clough mentioning in an interview that he was pretty fed up with Porter's neverending hip injury. Wiki also suggests he was eventually displaced by Theo and Ward.

Hulse and Davies each had injury hit phases too of course, but both made more appearances than Porter, so I don't know how much opportunity there was for an overlap unless we go back and look at the squads on a match-by-match basis. Also the fact that Hulse made more appearances suggests he was the preferred option for the most part.

Obviously a lot of logical deduction on my part there - happy for you to shed some more light on things.  

I remember it well, cos I was a fan of both Hulse and S Davies, and selecting Porter ahead of either/both was another stick I used to beat Nigel Clough with. I had been told Hulse was out of favour cos he smacked Savage and was outraged at the concept of Clough siding with Savage over Hulse.

I remember it well, cos I was a fan of both Hulse and S Davies, and selecting Porter ahead of either/both was another stick I used to beat Nigel Clough with. I had been told Hulse was out of favour cos he smacked Savage and was outraged at the concept of Clough siding with Savage over Hulse.

Hulse lamped Savage? Hero!

I'd have to agree. At his best he was immense in this league. You're right though, not only is this team more mobile and dynamic, I don't think he'd stand a chance in the premiership if we're promoted. If he can get back to fitness and form he'll be a great signing for someone, most likely on a free.

Seems a long time has passed since that old cry of "Chris Barker for England".

'Shaun Barker for England' was the better shout though

I remember it well, cos I was a fan of both Hulse and S Davies, and selecting Porter ahead of either/both was another stick I used to beat Nigel Clough with. 

Porter kept his place for a game or two after Hulse had been out injured. 

It happens sometimes in football. The mock outrage at the time was just Clough-bashing for the pure hell of it as well you know!

Clough confirms interest in Russell. Why not take Bryson and Hughes too eh?

http://www.sheffieldtelegraph.co.uk/sport/sheffield-united/sheffield-united-clough-confirms-striker-interest-1-6329568

Sheffield United manager Nigel Clough has confirmed he would be interested in signing Johnny Russell if the former Scotland under-21 international is allowed to leave Derby County, writes James Shield.

As The Star revealed on Monday, Russell features on a short-list of targets compiled by the League One club’s coaching staff ahead of next month’s transfer window.

Admitting fellow centre-forward Marlon King faces an uncertain future at Bramall Lane after failing to make an impression since his appointment in October, Clough said: “It’s fair to say that he (Russell) is on the list. Then again, so are a few others.

“Johnny has got good qualities but we’ve not spoken with anyone about him yet because the window hasn’t opened. We’ll have to wait and see what happens because he’s not to only one we’re looking at.”

King, recruited by Clough’s predecessor David Weir, has been used only sparingly following the 47-year-old’s arrival and is unlikely to feature at Stevenage today.

“We’re not sure about Marlon,” Clough added. “He’s had a problem with his knee lately and is on a permanent deal.”

Clough, who spent 44 months in charge of County before leaving the iPro Stadium in September, fought off competition from Catania to acquire Russell’s services earlier this year. Aged 23, he scored 46 goals in 120 appearances for Dundee United and has hit the target five times since moving to England.

“I was asked a specific question about Johnny and that’s why I answered it,” Clough said. “I don’t mind where a player comes from but, of course, if you’ve worked with them before and know them then all the better.

“There are some people we are looking at. Like I say, he’s not the only one.”

United, ranked 19th in the table, head to 21st placed Stevenage hoping to stretch their unbeaten run to six matches.

Clough, insisting talks about the future of on-loan trio Conor Coady, Simon Lappin and Aidy White will begin shortly, also acknowledged that Matt Hill’s recent performances, coupled with Terry Kennedy’s impressive displays for the under-21’s, have prompted a revision of United’s plans.

“I think we are looking at a midfielder and a striker,” Clough said. “We could possibly do with another midfielder in there.

“Matty means we’ve got good defensive cover and Terry Kennedy has also impressed us with what he’s been doing too. It’s important there is always a pathway through.”

Meanwhile chief executive Julian Winter is leaving the club to pursue new opportunities.

The club is re-organising its top tier management, which will mean Winter’s current post of CEO not being filled.

It was Winter’s second spell with the Blades.

Russel is too good for our bench. I hate seeing him on it. He has so much more to offer us than he is at present.

I hope he gets a deserved start today.

I can appreciate Clough would like to bring Russel to the Blades but we all know - including Clough, that there is no chance.

Can't wait til he really gets into gear for us.

Fire us to the Prem, Johnny!

Archived