Boro £85million in the red

David

Boro £85million in the red

Gareth Southgate is remaining focused on the task in hand after revealing Middlesbrough are currently £85million in debt.

Boro are struggling in the Premier League, with the club second from bottom in the table and without a win since November.

Southgate has received a strong backing from chairman Steve Gibson since he took over in 2006, and the Boro chief is refusing to buckle under the growing pressure surrounding his position.

He said in The Sun: "I'm thinking about getting our team out and getting the right level of performance from them like we did here [saturday at Manchester City].

"I have a very good relationship with the chairman. Everything about the club is discussed.

"We have a debt of £85million. We know the resources we have and we know the parameters and that makes life difficult.

"We are in a different position now to the last eight or nine years. The chairman knows what he will get from me and that is every hour towards keeping this football club in the Premier League."

[url=http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11095_4906937,00.html]http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11095_4906937,00.html

Shocking for the position they are in, relegation will destroy the club. I'm surprised Southgate is still in the job, as £85m in debt with the squad they have and fighting relegation.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

and they still didn't sell Downing to spurs?

Even if they stayed up, the debt will not be going down but up. They have seriously lived beyond their means.

When they were spending big money on players I was wondering how they can afford them on such small gates.

Who's next to the crash and burn?

If Birmingham don't get promoted they'll be worried. 15k last home game?

Now Boro's debt is in the open, if they were to get relegated they would get nowhere near the £12m offered in January. I'd imagine clubs to be offering around £5m and would they be in a position to refuse that sort of money.

Don't rate Boro or Southgate at all.

They're constantly being bigged up in the media for having a great production of youth team players on their first XI.

If these guys are so good why are they 19th? Only ones I can see having a decent career are Downing, Wheater and Johnson.

Also for the amount of years they've been in the Premiership their attendances are pitiful - no wonder they're £85m in debt.

If they go down, they're screwed.

If they stay up, it will be difficult but there'll be alright.

So they've been living off money that isn't theres? I thought they had a rich owner who was funding most of it.

They're not a big club though so you can't really say they're the next big demise, e.g. Leeds, Forest, Sheff. Wed.

Archived