Two League hat tricks

rsmini

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1984-5

Derby 3 v 0 Bolton Kevin Wilson hat-trick

Derby 3 v 1 Doncaster Bobby Davison hat-trick

I claim an assist,though I knew the three musketeers would pitch in.

I think king Kev scored a hat trick (Southampton?) in the season Davies got his 5 V Luton.

Another half assist-rhymes a bit with my current state.

Just for interest,Billy Hodgson got one on 13/11/65 v Boro (H) 5-0,as did Alan Durban on 9/4/66 v Brum (A) 5-5.

Eddie Thomas had loads of braces over 64/5 and 65/6 (although Les Moore had false gnashers in earlier years).

Fascinating looking back over these results-no wonder I enjoyed them all as a kid in spite of our lowly standings because there were plenty of goals and entertaining games.

Did we really have 3 cup hatricks since simpsons?

I seem to remember lupoli, villa, and did ellington all get cup hatricks?

plus mick harford got one a bit before simpsos time.

Ellington is unique - he also got a cup hat trick against us.

Call me bonkers, but I expected a hattrick or two this season, because one of our players has form there: Johnny Russell is as regular a scorer as they come of three in a game. Last season he scored hattricks away at Stranraer and away at Kilmarnock. I think he's due in the black&white/maroon/thunderbirds. Soon we'll be saying, "you wait umpteen years for a hattrick and then three come along at once". Could this be the year for a hattrick of hattricks? Or does the universe implode at that point?

As an aside, I was there for Davies' five in a game against Luton. He also had two perfectly good goals disallowed!

Call me bonkers, but I expected a hattrick or two this season, because one of our players has form there: Johnny Russell is as regular a scorer as they come of three in a game. Last season he scored hattricks away at Stranraer and away at Kilmarnock. I think he's due in the black&white/maroon/thunderbirds. Soon we'll be saying, "you wait umpteen years for a hattrick and then three come along at once". Could this be the year for a hattrick of hattricks? Or does the universe implode at that point?

As an aside, I was there for Davies' five in a game against Luton. He also had two perfectly good goals disallowed!

And hit the post and bar.

Ellington is unique - he also got a cup hat trick against us.

The Ellington for brizze rovers of league 1, against premiership rams was one of the lowest moments for me as a Derby fan... we were so awful that day! :(

If im not mistaken this was during colin todds brief managerial stint for us.

Mick Harford hit a hat trick against Sunderland in the cup, 1990.

All in the first half, at the Ossie End, in front of the away fans.

We eventually won 6-0 in a relegation season.

One of the few high points ( apart from beating the Dogs 2-1!)

Talking of hattricks... didnt a young Paul Jossie williams playing in midfield at this stage of his career, score 3 in a 6-1 last game of the season win against southampton?

Thats a league hattrick for ya.

I have a feeling its the season we went down, and we were already down before this game.

eddie Posted 08 December 2013 - 12:26 AM

1984-5

Derby 3 v 0 Bolton Kevin Wilson hat-trick

Derby 3 v 1 Doncaster Bobby Davison hat-trick

Interestingly, Kevin Wilson scored 4 goals in the League Cup 3 days earlier ( 29/8/1984 )at the BBG v Hartlepool, thus seven goals in the 2nd and 3rd games of the season! His luck did not hold out however, having his arm broken by a high tackle in front of the Popside against Plymouth in mid- October. In 17 games that season, he netted 14 goals. (8 league, 6 League Cup).

Talking of hattricks... didnt a young Paul Jossie williams playing in midfield at this stage of his career, score 3 in a 6-1 last game of the season win against southampton?

Thats a league hattrick for ya.

I have a feeling its the season we went down, and we were already down before this game.

At that time Jossie was a wonderfully talented England U21 midfielder. In their wisdom, the management team turned him into a clobbing centre half instead and all that exceptional skill was lost. He was an OK centre back, but he could have been great. Reminded me of the insistence in playing Addison at centre half instead of the position where he could have been great.

Did a certain John Duncan score three against the trees back in 1979? Or was that only two.? Certainly a great day and a 4-1 win, but we didn't win again for months and ended up going down.

At that time Jossie was a wonderfully talented England U21 midfielder. In their wisdom, the management team turned him into a clobbing centre half instead and all that exceptional skill was lost. He was an OK centre back, but he could have been great. Reminded me of the insistence in playing Addison at centre half instead of the position where he could have been great.

Did a certain John Duncan score three against the trees back in 1979? Or was that only two.? Certainly a great day and a 4-1 win, but we didn't win again for months and ended up going down.

I personally think Jossie was better in defence than in midfield. He was certainly in better teams when he was in defence.

As for Addison, could have made a decent inforcer but had no pace, and couldnt pass more than a few yards.

To what extent you ever think he could be great beats me.

One of the first things Clough did , was to ditch lumbering Addison and return Savage to the starting lineup, as it helps when you have a midfielder who can actually switch the play!

One of the first things Clough did , was to ditch lumbering Addison and return Savage to the starting lineup, as it helps when you have a midfielder who can actually switch the play!

I guess you could say that hooking the ball blindly over your shoulder is switching play.

Archived