Platini: Uefa chief wants sin-bin over yellow cards

Day

European football chief Michel Platini has called for yellow cards to be replaced by a sin-bin.

"I would make it like rugby, punishing the offender with 10 or 15 minutes out of the game," he said in an interview with Spanish sports daily newspaper AS.

"It is an idea. Now it needs to mature and see if it really is good for the game. It is a proposal to be explored."

Uefa president Platini also backed the idea of allowing national cup champions to take part in the Champions League.

Under the existing in-game disciplinary system a player who is shown a straight red card or two yellow cards in the same game is immediately sent off and cannot be replaced.

However, if a player picks up a certain number of yellow cards spread over several matches they will be suspended for future games, and it is this aspect that most concerns Platini.

He believes a sin-bin would be a fairer punishment because "that way, the benefit goes to the team he is playing against, in the same match, instead of a sanction by cards which is carried out against a third team, the next on the calendar".

The former France captain, who won 76 international caps between 1976-87 and has run Uefa since 2007, also believes goalkeepers who concede a penalty should not be sent off.

"It seems excessive," he said. "The penalty is itself already is punishment enough.

"I think it's something that everyone in Fifa and Uefa agree, but one or two of the countries that make up the International Board are unwilling to change."

Regarding the subject of Champions League qualification, which is currently restricted to where teams finish in their domestic leagues, Platini backed plans to also include winners of domestic cup competitions.

"I agree with this proposal, which we have debated many times," he said. "But when it comes time to vote, countries that don't want to cede a place for the cup champion are in the majority."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/25235277

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Won't happen, but I'd love it to. Yellow cards aren't enough of a punishment anymore.

Players need to be a bit more scared of the referees as well. I'm getting fed up with it.

Like the Cup idea too, it might make the FA Cup mean something again.

The former France captain, who won 76 international caps between 1976-87 and has run Uefa since 2007, also believes goalkeepers who concede a penalty should not be sent off.

"It seems excessive," he said. "The penalty is itself already is punishment enough.

"I think it's something that everyone in Fifa and Uefa agree, but one or two of the countries that make up the International Board are unwilling to change."

What if the goalkeeper fouls outside the box, but it's a blatant goal if the striker isn't clattered?

If you're saying the keeper can't be sent off, then surely any goalkeeper foul should be a penalty?

(I'm not saying I agree with that, just posting a thought)

If we are going for a sin-bin approach to offences that normally warrant a yellow, what are you going to do when such an offence is committed towards the end of a game when there is insufficient time remaining to serve a full punishment?

The 'goalkeeper conceding a penalty not being sent off' could open up a similar can of worms. Certain goal? Grab the striker's legs. He would have scored otherwise but there's always a chance of someone missing the spot kick.

Actually think this idea isn't too bad

If we are going for a sin-bin approach to offences that normally warrant a yellow, what are you going to do when such an offence is committed towards the end of a game when there is insufficient time remaining to serve a full punishment?

In Rugby, the player is still yellowed and binned but no retrospective action is taken (so you would lose a player for the rest of the game but no ban afterwards.) Think that would work in football

Goalkeeper sent to sin bin, another player is subbed for bench goalkeeper . Goalkeeper comes out of sin bin. 2 goalies on pitch?

Put an outfield player in goal (like Savage at Reading)

Ridiculous to say the least

Although if they are to copy ice hockey... The 'Icing rule' would certainly stop players hoofing it 70 yards and it would certainly stop teams from sitting back on their own 18 yard line

That's buggered Forest then

I see the point of suspensions only benefiting a third team thy had nothing to do with the original infringement though. It's a fair point.

Like on Saturday, were massively benefiting from fouls that Blackpool committed against Yeovil. Doesn't really make sense (not that I'm complaining).

I suppose you could say 'that's football', but then nothing would ever change for the better if that was your attitude. I like that platini explains his thinking.

Having said I think a sin bin would be crap in football.

Generally, I hate it when these tw@ts try to muck about with our game but the benefit to the third team is a good point.  Being sent off for x minutes would be a real punishment.  Having said that the refs would need to be more consistent on the booking decisions.  Could work but not sure how it would for GK's.  How would the sin bin affect them.  Can see this causing more interruptions.

Furthermore, why should a GK get away with denying a goal scoring opportunity.  

Archived