The best tea brand

Cisse

Did Vikings have graves? Or did they put coins on their eyes and burn them on a floating coffin? I genuinely don't know, but I'm pretty sure I've heard the phrase "a viking funeral".

Anyway, I last bought PG Tips, it was last week, and I got a mug with them, The monkey's dressing gown disappears when there's hot water int mug. Magic.

owh! I gotta get one of them.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My gran used to swear by mazawattee - but they stopped doing that about 70 years ago.

My favourite is Lapsang Souchong.

My grandad used to sell Mazawattee.

As you say, long since gone, but my (usually abstemious) Dad at Christmas used to say "We'll have a cup of Mazawattee" which meant a generous spoonful of Whiskey in the cup. One of my fondest memories of bygone Chrismases

mazawattee-tea-ceylon-empire-uk-1890

I've just had a look to see if I could find the original 'Brooke Bond Dividend Tea' advert on YouTube but no luck. The only one that seems to be around is after it was re-branded 'D'. Probably because it could be interpreted as marginally racist.

I think we are talking circa 1967 and went something along the lines of...

<Stereotypical Boer War British soldier in pith helmet, saluting>

"The sun never sets…."

<Stereotypical African tribesman plays bongos>

"On Brooke Bond Dividend Tea"

<Same African tribesman strikes match - match flares, African tribesman looks in wonder at white man's magic, exclaims "Aaah!"

<Stereotypical Vicar drinking tea, little pinky pointing out (and probably his finger too)>

"Good tea"

<Circus strongman holding globe over his head>

"Strong tea"

<Stereotypical businessman/stockbroker/bank manager (wearing bowler hat)>

"And a dividend, ha ha"

We have decaff Tetleys, not strong at all for me, the water just gets threatened with the tea bag.

Now coffee, that's different, I love it and buy the same as what Froggy has posted. Lovely it is. My coffee machines on a timer, best one is when we wake up and you can smell it wafting upstairs.

No decaff here though, just proper coffee.

Lazy Sunday 2 for 6 squid in tesco atm :D

Just had to go and check - Ringtons (same difference - only John Christie doesn't get to kill you)

I see their vans pull up when I'm out and about. When I see one walking up a path and about to knock the door, a warm feeling of, "lazy barsteward" comes over me.

How thoroughly English , old boy.

Archived