Doctor Who - 50 years on.

networker1884

Okay then, so I haven't been too active on here lately otherwise I would have made this thread much sooner (and I'm disappointed nobody else already has). But with the 50th Anniversary being celebrated today I think it's deserving of its own thread. Bring us whovians (as we're known as these days, pffft) together to discuss the travels of our favourite Timelord.

So then, how long have you been a fan? Favourite Doctor? Favourite Companion? Classic series' or new series'? Favourite Who moment? And, oh, what are we doing to celebrate?

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fantastic thread networker, fantastic...absolutely fantastic... ;)

I'll start.

Fan since I was wee, introduced to Peter Cushing by the old man, then Paul McGann, then the fantastic Tom Baker, so it all started about 18 years ago for me...I was, 4? Yeah, sounds about right. Favourite Doctor, a really hard choice...probably between Ecclestone and Tom Baker. Although I met Colin Baker in the Blackpool Exhibition once and he was my favourite Doctor for about a week. Favourite companion...well I had a crush on Susan as a teenager, and Sarah-Janes return was my favourite Who moment, so...I'm going to go Sarah Jane. And classic series for me...EASY.

My favourite Doctor is David Tennant. He was always funny, especially when he was with Donna,she's brilliant and I always laugh no matter how many times I watch their episodes. So bring back Donna!!

Favourite episodes, Turn Left, The Sound of the Drums and Last of the Time Lords. John Simm is fab as The Master.

I'll give a shout to Wilf played by Bernard Cribbins, bless him he's lovely.

Can't wait for tonights episode. Glad Billy Piper is back, but will she be with the other Doctor David she kopped off with?

Not rating Clara much, but she's marginally better than Amy Pond, be interesting to see how her & Rose interact.

Our takeaways arriving 5 mins before it starts, and bevvies will be nice and chilled - gotta be ready

;-)

How long have you been a fan? 0 Years

Favourite Doctor?

Doctor Little when I lived in Derby

Favourite Companion?

My cat Cloughie

Classic series' or new series'?

Classic fools and horses all the way!

Favourite Who moment?

Who? What you on about?

And, oh, what are we doing to celebrate?

Erm...went to the pub last night, didn't really celebrate tho just had a few pints

Since the late 80's

Favourite Doctor :DT (Only saw McCoy) from the old series

Favourite companion - Donna

Best episodes - turn left, the sound of the drums.

I heard someone on telly ask why adults are hooked on it again. For me I felt robbed of Doctor Who - it went off screens in 89 I think so I only remember a couple of episodes and nothing sticks in my mind. Then the Americans got involved gave us the movie in the 96 with a "we might bring it back' but then didn't (despite nearly 10million viewers ) and we had to wait for then to give production rights back to the BBC

Only started watching it a while after David Tenant started, so to me his version is my favourite / the best.

Saw the end of Billie Piper but hadn't really seen her episodes before that. Freema Agyemang wasn't too bad but never really had much of a character. Catherine Tate's spell was very good. I don't know why anyone would dislike watching Karen Gillan, and I enjoyed the character too!

The best episodes were with Tenant/Simm, though I couldn't name any of them individually. Those and the original statues/blink were very good.

River Song is crap. Clara is crap. Jenna Louise Coleman and Matt Smith have absolutely zero chemistry and I'm not talking about romance - lovey dovey ***** between Dr/Companion is just that, ***** - there's no place for it, no need.

Nevertheles I did still enjoy some of the last series, but the whole thing seems to have been camped up to stage school proportions. I don't think i've ever seen any worse acting than in that episode with the 3 brothers inside the Tardis (you know the ones) and the alien companion things.... abysmal, not even characters.

I'm not sure how Peter Capaldi is going to fit in tbh, he's made a guest appearance before and played a big part in one of the Torchwood series - neither appearance gave him anything good to work with.

I think Capaldi will take us back to the pre camp faze and he will be like a grown up David Tennant.

A little bit Darker than we have now, I'm looking forward to it.

Matt Smith did say in an interview each new doctor has to have their own angle on it. Their own way of making the dialogue theirs. He struggled with making the jargon sound believable coming out if his mouth. I guess his angle was to camp it up a bit and make it sound like an exciting thing (a little over the top sometimes) but he did well with the darker stories towards the end if the last series.

dom dom dom dom

dom dom dom dom

dom dom dom dom

Wonder if the Master returns tonight? If he does can it be John Simm again?

And tell yer what, I love John Hurt, so it'll be good watching him, he's a brilliant actor.

Favourite Doctor? 
I started with New Who so only can really pick from Ecclestone, Tennant and Smith. Hard to pick from Tennant/Smith to be honest, but I'd probably go with Smith. 

Favourite Companion? 
Karen Gillan - I'd make her look like a plasterers radio if given the chance, the new companion would definitely get it too.

New, haven't seen any of the classic.

Favourite Who moment? 
I enjoy the Cybermen episodes on a whole when they are taking the human population and turning them into cybermen. But the best episodes have to be when there is one enemy and not a bunch. Like the first Weeping Angels or Dalek episode. They definitely lose their fear factor when there are a bunch of them!

Not sure what time it's on too be fair, probably iPlayer it tomorrow!

Favourite Doctor?

I started with New Who so only can really pick from Ecclestone, Tennant and Smith. Hard to pick from Tennant/Smith to be honest, but I'd probably go with Smith.

Favourite Companion?

Karen Gillan - I'd make her look like a plasterers radio if given the chance, the new companion would definitely get it too.

New, haven't seen any of the classic.

Favourite Who moment?

I enjoy the Cybermen episodes on a whole when they are taking the human population and turning them into cybermen. But the best episodes have to be when there is one enemy and not a bunch. Like the first Weeping Angels or Dalek episode. They definitely lose their fear factor when there are a bunch of them!

Not sure what time it's on too be fair, probably iPlayer it tomorrow!

7:45 I think after come dancing

Got to be fish fingers and custard to celebrate with

I think Capaldi will take us back to the pre camp faze and he will be like a grown up David Tennant.

A little bit Darker than we have now, I'm looking forward to it.

Matt Smith did say in an interview each new doctor has to have their own angle on it. Their own way of making the dialogue theirs. He struggled with making the jargon sound believable coming out if his mouth. I guess his angle was to camp it up a bit and make it sound like an exciting thing (a little over the top sometimes) but he did well with the darker stories towards the end if the last series.

Oh I liked Matt Smith, just not what he's been given to work with since the end of pondlife.

He did look like he was really struggling with his disability/injury in the his exit interview when Capaldi was announced.

Watched more when I was a kid but can piss me right off these days. When the Doctor gets all self-righteous and solves the problem through talking  <_< kill me now

HOWEVER, Matt Smith has been really good. Very cool clothes, energetic and some very good episodes. Will be sad to see him go but I was sad to see Tennant go, but preferred Matt Smith in the end. Capaldi will be good, interesting to see how where he goes with it.

The most recent assistant is really fit too. 9/10 would bang.

Archived