2013-14 Ashes Series

Oh Bobby Bobby

They don't seem to know the price of failure. The England team has always had that feeling that it's easier to get in than out.

Here is an opportunity to change that.

Start with the coach and the captain. They shouldn't be allowed to resign, they should be sacked. Cook is worth his place as a batsman but he can't captain for toffee.

If it were the coach who came up with the strategy of bowling short, he ought to be hung out to dry.

There also seems to have been precious little work done on technical flaws. The coach's job.

Drop Root and tell him he will be picked again when he stops believing what his supporters in the media say about him and starts to deal with the obvious flaws in his technique.

Tell Pietersen that the next time he is caught on the boundary, he's dropped.

Tell Panesar, thanks very much but you aren't actually very good.

Keep Broad and Anderson but tell them that it is possible to get batsmen out by hitting those wooden stick things at the end of the pitch.

Keep Bell.

Persevere with Stokes.

Work on Finn's radar.

Get a proper wicket keeper.

Easy peasy.

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They don't seem to know the price of failure. The England team has always had that feeling that it's easier to get in than out.

Start with the coach and the captain. They shouldn't be allowed to resign, they should be sacked. Cook is worth his place as a batsman but he can't captain for toffee.

If it were the coach who came up with the strategy of bowling short, he ought to be hung out to dry.

There also seems to have been precious little work done on technical flaws. The coach's job.

Drop Root and tell him he will be picked again when he stops believing what his supporters in the media say about him and starts to deal with the obvious flaws in his technique.

Keep Broad and Anderson but tell them that it is possible to get batsmen out by hitting those wooden stick things at the end of the pitch.

Keep Bell.

Persevere with Stokes.

Work on Finn's radar.

Easy peasy.

What would your team be Andy?

What strategy do we need to improve the quality of the team? Mostly youngsters in? Trial and error with players that have performed domestically until we have the right blend in the team?

I think we missed a taller bowler that could give a bit of variation (a Finn or a Tremlett or even an Onions) Broad Anderson and Bresnan are all to similar in style and technique. Although sometimes I think Bresnan gets in the team because he can "bat" a bit but he isn't good enough with either to justify being picked.

Bresnan is one of the most average cricketers I have seen since Mark Ealam.

Nobody has yet explained to me to my satisfaction why Compton was dropped and why Onions is deemed to be less good than Bresnan.

Players need to play for their counties. Rip up central contracts and tell them to go and earn a place in the team.

Bresnan is one of the most average cricketers I have seen since Mark Ealam.

Nobody has yet explained to me to my satisfaction why Compton was dropped and why Onions is deemed to be less good than Bresnan.

Players need to play for their counties. Rip up central contracts and tell them to go and earn a place in the team.

Agree with all that (although Ealam is before my time)

I have heard many people say it is harder to get out of the England team than into it and the contracts are a big part of that.

Keep Bell.

Persevere with Stokes.

Work on Finn's radar.

Easy peasy.

I'd vote for you! 

At test level it's often 60% talent, 40% attitude. Bresnan and Root are game triers but don't quite have the talent. Root will, for sure. However, he should be batting at 5 if he keeps his place. 

I would like to see Chopra and Moeen Ali given a chance next year and Ballance must have a crack in the last test. I see no point picking Pietersen and Bell for that one as we know what they can do. I also think Borthwick should get a protracted chance and Topley of Essex needs to be groomed to provide the X Factor.

Let's hope they make a better start than the two debutants at the Oval this summer. The way this tour is going I wouldn't be surprised if they scored no runs and took no wickets. Am I being a touch negative?

Well your right we have been poor but I'm quite excited about this test match.

Well your right we have been poor but I'm quite excited about this test match.

So am I. And I enjoy watching good cricket regardless of who's playing - the Aussies have been tremendous during this series. But we have been absolutely dreadful, we haven't shown a single ounce of fight.

So am I. And I enjoy watching good cricket regardless of who's playing - the Aussies have been tremendous during this series. But we have been absolutely dreadful, we haven't shown a single ounce of fight.

Looking forward to see how Rankin bowls . Just about to start at least it's a bit earlier in Sydney

We won the toss?

What do we do now? A lap of honour?

Just the law of averages he had to win it some time but a lap of honour might be a bit over the top lol. Not seen a lot of movement up to now in this wicket.

Just as I said that Warner was out bowled by Broad.

Australia 22-1

Decent morning.

The fourth wicket was, unbelievably, the first Leg Off Before Wicket of the series for England.

(if you don't know what I'm talking about, very few do, but see below anyway)

Archived