Anyone remember the England vs France U21 game at PP?

ollycutts1982

I went to this game with a load of school mates, i remember after the game waiting for the players to leave the ground for autographs, the England players came out and got straight on the coach without really spending anytime with the fans, incredible arrogance when you look at the team that day, S.Simonsen, J.Curtis, Garth Barry (Seth Johnson), A.O'Brien, D.Williams, Matthew Upson (L.Marshall), Frank Lampard (Matt Jansen), Jamie Carragher, M.Bridge (James Beattie), Lee Bowyer (R.Cresswell), Lee Hendrie

Okay a few have done really well for themselves ala Barry, Lamps, Carragher but the rest like Williams, Marshall, Curtis and Cresswell hardly went on to set the world alight.

Yet when the French team, containg players such as Henry & Trezeguet spent ages outside the ground talking, signing autographs and having pics taken

Just shows the difference how our young players have such high opinions of themselves

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think thats one thing we are good at, keeping the young lads, Hughes and Bennett most notably, feet on the ground. Look at Stirling for Liverpool, 12 months ago massive things were expected of him, talk of big contracts, now he's been linked with us. Too much too soon, as much as i despise the youth i was reading about Joey Barton the other day, he was saying that when he was 20 he got a contrat at City on £6k a week and he then got it renewed for a figure which blew the £6k out the water, no wonder they are arrogant and many of them do not wana play for the U21's.

I mentioned this on another thread, but the days of having a senior player to look after, wash his boots etc, has gone. Young players aren't made to feel like apprentices anymore, so it just feeds their ego.

Its ridiculous, Surely you cant think you've made it until you have actually achieved something noteworthy.

Its ridiculous, Surely you cant think you've made it until you have actually achieved something noteworthy.

Some people just have that sort of thing in their make-up I suppose.

Giles Barnes springs to mind.

I remember the game really well.  All me & my mates could go on about afterwards was the left wing back who had Henry in his pocket the whole match.  Turns out that wing back was Seth Johnson and we bid for him a few day later.

As for the culture of young English players...  Too much too soon, most of them think they've made it once they make it to a Prem side's reserves and are earning £10k a week.  3 years of that with a few bonuses for making the bench now and again buys you an awful lot of bling!

I think it was Gareth Barry who got his £30k a week deal as a 17yr old, bought a car, got drunk and crashed it, all in the same day/weekend. But cos he was under18, the papers wouldn't name him. John Gregory did though.

You cannot stop young people full of confidence and becoming men from showing off to their peers, it's only natural. The ones that didn't (Michael Owen, Paul Scholes,etc) and keep themselves to themselves are in the vast minority at that level of ability.

Archived