January - Mclaren's first transfer window

ChaddesdenRam

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Personally I would like to see us sign a really commanding centre-back who would be good enough for the Premiership. We already have more than enough decent centre-backs on our books who can cut it in the championship e.g. Keogh, Buxton, Whitbread, O'Brien & Barker. What we need is someone special that any of these would be able to play alongside. Someone like an Igor or a McFarland. 

What I don't want to see us do is buy more squad fillers. What we need now is quality to take us to the next level.

Right a few pieces of info from the pub tours...

1 - Wisdom is not linked to Hughes leaving. McClaren and Rodgers are friends, apparently McClaren invited Rodgers over to Twente shortly after Rodgers was sacked by Watford. 5 Premier League teams wanted Wisdom but Rodgers offered him to McClaren.

2 - McClaren did not answer when asked about Sterling, just smiled.

3 - McClaren said the budget allowed for one more loan signing and that the fans would not be disappointed with the signing if and when it happens.

It's rumours of players like Martins that scare me if I'm honest.

Pretty high risk for a club our size, hasn't really done a great deal since Newcastle when he should have been in the prime of his career and the kind of player that put the club at risk 5 years ago. I might be doing him a complete disservice but for me he's the kind of player that could upset the balance of our hardworking, honest squad. Big wages, relatively sketchy form in the last few years and I can't see that we need too much more up top anyway.

It's probably nonsense but I don't think we need to do anything particularly clever or rash with the squad we have.

So far the loan signings have been fairly astute, Dawkins looks promising and Wisdom has been solid but I don't think we need to go crazy. If Cisse proves himself then I'd expect him to be added and we could perhaps do with someone to challenge Forsyth at LB but apart from that I would hope that we don't do anything too disruptive in January, depending on where we are in the table. I'd much rather we continue to build at a reasonable rate than spunk loads of money on risky foreign imports.

Didn't he score Birmingham's winning goal in the League cup final?

But your right not heard anything from him since then. Don't even know where he is now. I'm betting Oz, USA or middle east.

It's not 17k a week though is it.. :(

It's not as if your other strikers are prolific. Why doesn't TSP give young Ishmael another go? Surely better than Halford up front? No no no to him coming here. But considering he brought Reid to the Sh*tty Ground, we might ask him to follow his mentor to the iPro to add a bit of experience and solve our freekick issues. :D

Archived