January - Mclaren's first transfer window

ChaddesdenRam

So by January pretty much we will have our whole squad back, even Obrien should be fit by then.

With a full squad who do we think will be sold? (I presume by then Mclaren will have made his mind up as to who he thinks is surplus to requirements)

And what position will he bring players in?

I think he will bring in a foreign left back. And cut the squad by about 3 or 4 players.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Assuming Hughes is sold, I would like to see some investment in a cb and lb around the million pound mark, would bring in Dawkins and whitbread on permanent deals, as well as letting Sammon go and bring in a new back up striker who has more of a threat off the bench finishing wise

I don't think anyone will be sold unless there are offers on the table. Likely to see Deeney, Bailey, Davies etc out on loan if anything. McClaren has already stated the squads abit thin especially with injuries hence why Dawkins, Whitbread, Wisdom and Cisse have been drafted in.

I'd personally like to see Whitbread and Dawkins given permanent deals but need that depends on how much their clubs want for them and they both need a good run in the team to show they can perform for more than a handful of match

I imagine it'll be Dawkins in but I can't see further than that in terms of ins at the moment. Whitbread has played a couple of games and then out for months - I doubt that will warrant him a contract with us to be honest, not a McClaren acquisition anyway.

In terms of outs, I think we're probably looking at loans for the likes of Davies, Jacobs, Deeney (released?) and possibly Bailey, O'Brien and Freeman too. I would hope that the core squad Clough assembled can been retained with a bit more strength in depth to challenge. However, I doubt we'll see masses of movement, the current loanees have largely been forced acquisitions through injury and suspension and not necessarily part of any grand plan.

The main at risk sales are obviously Hughes and Bryson, I think further ins will depend on what movement there is there.

Position wise we might see some competition at LB on loan and another CB to push for a place.

I suspect a lot will ride on where we are in the league and whether we've got any momentum going into the transfer window. If we're well placed i.e. inside the top 6 and showing signs of pushing on then we may see McClaren being able to unlock some funds without necessarily having to sell one of our better players.

He will know now where needs stregnthing but I think it'll be where we stand at the end off December on how many come in go out! Plus we may end up with another injury before January!! Fingers crossed not though

Anyone else think Hughes might actually want to stay? Go on a good run up until January, be in the top six. Grass isn't always greener

I think ben Davies will be loaned/sold, o brien, Jacobs, freeman and bailey all to be loaned or sold. Deeney released and I would do the same with ball.

Sammon might want away, doesn't seem a mclaren type player at all.

Suppose if we're looking to gain promotion in the next 6/18 months then a lot of the squad can be improved upon. Genuinely don't think anyone is safe as such. Maybe Hughes and Bryson?

I wonder if Sam Rush's old client Shaun Barker will be earning his wages from January?

Look forward to seeing him.

Maybe decision time on that front as well? Around 20 months now since his injury and he's not getting any younger. With the renewed competition for places i'm not sure there is room for sentiment? Happy for him to heal as well as he can here but I don't think he'll play a meaningful part for derby again. Maybe a late sub goodbye appearance?

Offer 3/4 of what Cardiff paid us for Bray.

I'd imagine he'd jump at the chance of coming back, even without Clough. Just to get out of Wales more than anything.

He's firmly behind Catherine the Paedophile in Cardiff's right back stakes.

Archived