BT Sport exclusive rights to Champions League games from 2015

David

This is bad news for customers/fans as they now have to pay £15p/m more to have what they were getting on Sky Sports anyway. The two companies are in cahoots anyway as BT Sport is available through a Sky set top box and Sky Sports is available on BT's YouView boxes.

It's only fair that the monthly fee for Sky Sports should be reduced, unless Sky spend the money they've saved on purchasing UEFA rights on something else just as popular.

Just pull the plug on Sky and go with Virgin Media

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is bad news for customers/fans as they now have to pay £15p/m more to have what they were getting on Sky Sports anyway. The two companies are in cahoots anyway as BT Sport is available through a Sky set top box and Sky Sports is available on BT's YouView boxes.

It's only fair that the monthly fee for Sky Sports should be reduced, unless Sky spend the money they've saved on purchasing UEFA rights on something else just as popular.

Being available on each other's platforms is called an open market

I'm starting to prefer BT Sport to Sky anyway, so a full BT switch might be in order. This isn't the final nail in the coffin but it's close to it.

Sky's attitude to sport infuriates me. They act like Premier League football is the only football there's ever been. But it's not just football - they act like F1 is the only motor racing there is. Hours upon hours of nothing on the F1 channel when they could surely stick some highlights of Touring Cars or something, or maybe even buy the rights to Moto GP?

I'm starting to prefer BT Sport to Sky anyway, so a full BT switch might be in order. This isn't the final nail in the coffin but it's close to it.

Sky's attitude to sport infuriates me. They act like Premier League football is the only football there's ever been. But it's not just football - they act like F1 is the only motor racing there is. Hours upon hours of nothing on the F1 channel when they could surely stick some highlights of Touring Cars or something, or maybe even buy the rights to Moto GP?

BT have bought Moto GP off of the BBC.So I'd go with BT Sport just for that.

Hope they do a good job.

BT have bought Moto GP off of the BBC.So I'd go with BT Sport just for that.

Hope they do a good job.

BT will have Moto GP, DTM, Nascar, IndyCars and maybe even the World Rally Championship too next year. Not a bad argument in their favour.

That's against Sky who just have F1 - and half of those races aren't exclusive anyway.

Eurosport has a surprising amount of good sport too, and I think you get them with either package. The whole of Le Mans is live on it, they show Moto GP (and the lower categories too), British and World Superbikes - and that's just the motorsport. There's always a sport on there you haven't seen before. Used to love the Champions League handball.

When I used to be ill in my schooldays, it just meant a day of watching Bobsleigh on Eurosport.

Not sure about that. They tried and failed to re-invent motor-racing by launching a rival to F1 that relied on the driver over the engineering. It lasted about 3 years.

Not sure about that. They tried and failed to re-invent motor-racing by launching a rival to F1 that relied on the driver over the engineering. It lasted about 3 years.

A1GP? Sky didn't really invest anything in that, in fact I'd be surprised if anyone rivalled them for the coverage. The series had enough interest but it failed due to the complicated leasing arrangement of the cars which made it difficult for teams to make any money. And when the owner of the series tried to sell it, they couldn't find a buyer, hence its death.

Sky then dumped it and didn't replace it with anything else.

A1GP? Sky didn't really invest anything in that, in fact I'd be surprised if anyone rivalled them for the coverage. The series had enough interest but it failed due to the complicated leasing arrangement of the cars which made it difficult for teams to make any money. And when the owner of the series tried to sell it, they couldn't find a buyer, hence its death.

Sky then dumped it and didn't replace it with anything else.

what? I remember being saturated by publicity and coverage of that. It stressed me out cos I find motosport quite tedious (as I do all elitist sports).

what? I remember being saturated by publicity and coverage of that. It stressed me out cos I find motosport quite tedious (as I do all elitist sports).

They decided it was going to be the new holy grail of motor sports for some reason. The concept was that each car was a "nation", and that it would be the World Cup of Motor Sport.

Essentially it was them being both lazy and missing the point. They bought the rights to a series no one else wanted and then built it up to something it wasn't. A bit like buying the rights to the MLS and then billing it as one of the world's biggest leagues.

It was a bit silly, really. Italy racing in blue rather than red always stumped me for a start. Motor racing and football don't mix very well together, despite people trying time and time again.

That's slightly unfair as the first place to watch any goals from The Championship and below is actually usually on SSN.

But they have championship games on sky? So it's of interest to them, so your point doesn't make sense?

Archived