Settled down and we're back on track...

PrivateDerby

You know what the biggest sign for me was that things are looking up....

The fact I was absolutely devastated with a draw against Birmingham. Before, a draw would always have been a fairly solid result ("at least it's better than a loss" kind of thing) but I genuinely expected 3 points, such is the buzz and optimism.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey fella, sound post (for a stokie)... 

I was as big a Clough fan as anyone but will admit it was time for a change...jeez, i've seem some lads who i thought had died! :o .

Your right, it's amazing how many people are crawling out of the woodwork at the moment and the great thing is it's not glory hunting either. They have been lured back by a positive vibe that has been sadly lacking for a long time.

Time will tell whether we are successful but it's good to see passion and excitement returning to the club. 

Well done Private for your honest opinion. What you maybe do not realise (depending on how long you have been watching the Rams) is how much of a breath of fresh air this is. Many younger fans will not know this and some older fans will have forgotten this.

It goes back (in my opinion) to the promotion days of Billy Davies. Many younger fans (including my eldest son) loved that season because we got promoted. He knew no better. Many of the older fans were saying that the football was predictable and boring (generally). We were lucky to go up and it wasn't surprising we came straight back down. Listen to the older guys when they talk about the days of Jim Smith and even George Burley.

We eventually brought in Nigel Clough. He was brought in to reduce our wage bill by getting rid of the high earners and to replace them with lesser known, lower earning players who were capable (over a period of time - which was available because of his name) of challeging for promotion.

I for one, think that Nigel did an outstanding job of putting together a low cost squad WITHOUT taking us backwards. We had something to build on but I believe that Nigel's stubbernness and lack of back room experience could not take us any further. The consequences of this unforunately brought us a satandard of football that had become boring, even though we played some gret stuff. Away days have been a chore for over 6 years and even home games had fans turning up, watching a match and going home (like clockwork) even if we won.

I likened it to a stale marriage. The younger fans only ever knew the marriage they were in, some of the older ones had forgotten what a good marriage was like.

Now then, the jury is still out for me regarding McClaren. I think we have the right man but time will tell. We will have ups and downs along the way but let me promise you younger guys something. If the good feeling around the club and fans continue and we are on the up, you ain't seen nothing yet. Get ready for some great games at Pride Park and also away games which you will tell your grandchildren about (if you can get a ticket).

I just hope and pray it doesn't go horribly wrong.

Good post. Although playing on the stale marriage thing...you could say that pre-Clough we had lots of failed affairs and messy spilts. Some were fun for a while, but the downsides were worse, and messed us up and left us emotinally bankrupt.

We got together with Nigel and he brought us back from the brink. It wasn't always exciting but we needed it. The relationship went on longer than most in the present age. Our friends saw us become content for a while, but were we ever truely happy. As the years rolled on, we forgot about the state we were in before Nigel and our minds wandered to thoughts of something newer and exciting.

After an old rival made us look silly, we snapped and, out of the blue and unceremoniously dumped Nigel. We treated him harshly and he didn't deserve it after all he had done.

Now, we are parading around town with someone new. Friends meet them and are polite but you can tell what they are thinking? Have we just returned the older days, or is this the One. We hope it is, but time will tell. We know part of us will start to voice concerns as the first sign of trouble and the cycle will start again. The honeymoon period ends soon.

Good post. Although playing on the stale marriage thing...you could say that pre-Clough we had lots of failed affairs and messy spilts. Some were fun for a while, but the downsides were worse, and messed us up and left us emotinally bankrupt.

We got together with Nigel and he brought us back from the brink. It wasn't always exciting but we needed it. The relationship went on longer than most in the present age. Our friends saw us become content for a while, but were we ever truely happy. As the years rolled on, we forgot about the state we were in before Nigel and our minds wandered to thoughts of something newer and exciting.

After an old rival made us look silly, we snapped and, out of the blue and unceremoniously dumped Nigel. We treated him harshly and he didn't deserve it after all he had done.

Now, we are parading around town with someone new. Friends meet them and are polite but you can tell what they are thinking? Have we just returned the older days, or is this the One. We hope it is, but time will tell. We know part of us will start to voice concerns as the first sign of trouble and the cycle will start again. The honeymoon period ends soon.

oh dear oh dear it was 5 long years for me with Nigel. Glad it's all over.

So, where you been?

You think you can just buzz off and not let anyone know? Did you fill in an holiday form? No. You come back on here and start a thread and expect people to join in?

Bris let management know.

Ramnut let the community know

The Hindge had medical leave

3 fine examples. You want a bad example?

I've had to go down to PP and take down all the missing in action posters and cancell the appeal that was going out on central news.

A new man after 2 days... The clubs a slut.

Two days? Nige got up to wash his face, when he got back to bed someone had taken his place.

Two hours more like. The club isn't a slut, it's Cecilia.

Oh Sam the salesman you're breaking my heart, you're shaking my confidence daily.

I'm begging you please do .......... ........ 

Loving the optimism, but that will dwindle real fast if we can't win more than we lose. Same squad...

We have brought one or two in though so it is not exactly the same. We also have Russell to come back who hasn't played too many games. And then of course we have the January window, at least give McClaren that.

Two days? Nige got up to wash his face, when he got back to bed someone had taken his place.

Two hours more like. The club isn't a slut, it's Cecilia.

Oh Sam the salesman you're breaking my heart, you're shaking my confidence daily.

I'm begging you please do .......... ........ 

And I've always thought DCFC stands for Down Cecilia, F****** C***!

Hey fella, sound post (for a stokie)... 

I was as big a Clough fan as anyone but will admit it was time for a change...jeez, i've seem some lads who i thought had died! :o .

Haha same here, one rang me this morning... "can you get a ticket near you?" rang the ticket office who told me computer says no... rang him back... "bloody hell, what's your seat number i'm ringing for a match plan"

Can only be a good thing!

We have brought one or two in though so it is not exactly the same. We also have Russell to come back who hasn't played too many games. And then of course we have the January window, at least give McClaren that.

I'll give McClaren every ounce of support, same as I have with every manager since John Newman. I'm delighted people are excited again. I just haven't seen it on the pitch yet, although admittedly I haven't been away yet this season.

Well done Private for your honest opinion. What you maybe do not realise (depending on how long you have been watching the Rams) is how much of a breath of fresh air this is. Many younger fans will not know this and some older fans will have forgotten this.

It goes back (in my opinion) to the promotion days of Billy Davies. Many younger fans (including my eldest son) loved that season because we got promoted. He knew no better. Many of the older fans were saying that the football was predictable and boring (generally). We were lucky to go up and it wasn't surprising we came straight back down. Listen to the older guys when they talk about the days of Jim Smith and even George Burley.

We eventually brought in Nigel Clough. He was brought in to reduce our wage bill by getting rid of the high earners and to replace them with lesser known, lower earning players who were capable (over a period of time - which was available because of his name) of challeging for promotion.

I for one, think that Nigel did an outstanding job of putting together a low cost squad WITHOUT taking us backwards. We had something to build on but I believe that Nigel's stubbernness and lack of back room experience could not take us any further. The consequences of this unforunately brought us a satandard of football that had become boring, even though we played some gret stuff. Away days have been a chore for over 6 years and even home games had fans turning up, watching a match and going home (like clockwork) even if we won.

I likened it to a stale marriage. The younger fans only ever knew the marriage they were in, some of the older ones had forgotten what a good marriage was like.

Now then, the jury is still out for me regarding McClaren. I think we have the right man but time will tell. We will have ups and downs along the way but let me promise you younger guys something. If the good feeling around the club and fans continue and we are on the up, you ain't seen nothing yet. Get ready for some great games at Pride Park and also away games which you will tell your grandchildren about (if you can get a ticket).

I just hope and pray it doesn't go horribly wrong.

The jury is not out for me - we are different class with the new coaching team. Everything is feeling fresher and better on and off the pitch. For the first time in more than 5 years I am really interested and excited again, and I know a number of people who have come back to the club now that Clough has departed. The loan signings have been very well chosen and the way the management have genuinely started to give everyone in the squad a chance to show what they can do makes me realise how poorly run things were before.

We have a genuine chance to have a crack at the top 6 and it feels like we are now finally progressing. Just hope GSE back SM in the transfer window now.

Archived