Exams.

ladyram

Does anybody elses teenagers start their final GCSE exams today? Our lass does. She's only been in Yr 11 for 2 months!

A nice way to kick off - Maths, with another paper on Friday. This round of exams finishes the week before Christmas.

Anyway, I'm feeling a bit stressed :-[

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Does anybody elses teenagers start their final GCSE exams today? Our lass does. She's only been in Yr 11 for 2 months!

A nice way to kick off - Maths, with another paper on Friday. This round of exams finishes the week before Christmas.

Anyway, I'm feeling a bit stressed :-[

My eldest has started school this year so I have got a few years to wait until he is taking his GCSE's (or what ever they are called then)

I did start mine at the end of November when I took mine, early entry Maths, only my class took them, it was the intermediate paper everyone took and if you got a C or B you got to do the higher paper in June/July (yay!) Well I got a B and messed around for the rest of the year did the higher paper and got a B again :lol:

One thing though is if you aren't satisfied with your GCSE's they can be done again can't they? They aren't as final as they make it seem.

Obviously that's not what you want her thinking and I assume that's why they don't tell you!

If she messed up then its just a blip and she can still go onto whatever she wants. She just has to go through it all again. If she glides through then she's saved herself some time and can take some forward steps.

Just saying that either she succeeds or she fails and then succeeds anyway. If she puts her mind to it. God knows I wish I did.

I know it feels like doomsday for some.

Good luck to her anyway. Pressure can bring out the best or worst.

Good or bad results don't spell success or disaster really. Just be great to have that first solid step in place.

Anyway, 'they're easier nowadays. All kids are thick.'

- said someone who's never sat down and seen their work!

I've seen recent exam papers, I think they're anything but easy.

Anway, the last mock she did she was 2 marks off getting the grade she wanted. I agree if she passes this one she could get a breather from it and concerntrate on other subjects. What concerns me is if she has the knowledge needed now, instead of waiting till nearer the end of Yr 11.

I know she has Dav to give her extra help and a bit of fine tuning where necessary, thankfully, but at the end of the day she has to sit the paper.

I'm rambling I guess, I think it's probably me who's more stressed than she is. :-|

Gone through that nonsense years ago - yes, it's quite stressful. Now my daughter's writing up her PhD thesis/dissertation, but seeing as though she's a lawyer I just don't care any more.

The "they're getting easier" misconception is pretty common these days, although it's not true at all. They're just as hard as they've always been (in fact the constant changing of formats and using certain year groups as guinea pigs for experimentation, ******* up their results only to have a total reform the next year making it all pointless frankly disgusts me and makes it even harder) .

The Government/exam boards are in complete control of what grades we get, they choose the grade boundaries once the results come in to gain a certain amount of A's, B's and C's etc. It isn't a case of 'the A grade-mark is 70%' and exams get easier while the boundary stays the same, meaning there are more A's each year. The Government choose to increase or decrease the percentage of A's each year, or mark a particular exam harder than usual.

Nowt to do with them being easier. The levels of hype and stress surrounding exams are significantly higher than they've ever been, if anything the exam experience is even tougher than ever. So obviously, having recently just finished my GCSE's anyone saying they're nothing irritates me somewhat.

I also disagree with the whole it's getting easier idea. The point is, schools teaching is getting better hence the kids do better.

Getting a C above in Maths and English is vital nowadays when you apply for many jobs and higher education courses. I'd advice any 15-16 year olds to study hard for them because they are the most important exams by a mile.

I also disagree with the whole it's getting easier idea. The point is, schools teaching is getting better hence the kids do better.

Getting a C above in Maths and English is vital nowadays when you apply for many jobs and higher education courses. I'd advice any 15-16 year olds to study hard for them because they are the most important exams by a mile.

Advise...

Certainly better than the school you went to :p

Archived