James Bailey given squad number

Day

To me, it just looked like the change of formation didn't suit him.  When he played alongside Savage at the base of a 4231 he was fine, Savage did the running and Bailey was free to just pick up the ball and spray it around.  But in a 442, he doesn't do enough defensively or offer enough in terms of supporting the forwards, so you're stuck with either having to play a defensive player alongside him (and not getting anybody running past the frontline), or you play an attacking player with him and get exposed at the back.

If we're going with a 433 now, then he's potentially useful - he's probably a better passer than anyone at the club, bar maybe Hughes. But Hendrick is still a very good passer plus he's stronger, scores goals and can run with the ball.  And Eustace is also a decent passer, plus he's stronger, a better tackler and reads the game much better defensively.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Clough wanted to move him one for one reason.

He's not good enough. Plain and simple. He hardly pulled up any trees while on loan to a Division One club so why should he be good enough to play in a higher league.

Why the constant love in for such a mediocre player is beyond me.

I heard he rejected a move to Wigan and Clough fell out with him for it. Probably all lies, but that's what I was told

As in all cases of players falling out of favour with managers its more than likely several reasons not just one. Yours may well be on the list!

injury

Jeff's emergence

Turning down a move

Turning orange....

its all in the past now, hope he's fit, ready and makes a contribution to our promotion push....

He's not good enough. Plain and simple. He hardly pulled up any trees while on loan to a Division One club so why should he be good enough to play in a higher league.

I used to wonder why the constant love for a mediocre (being kind) manager.

I never understood remove squad numbers or removing players from training with the first team unless they'd done something to tarnish the image of the club or made it clear they didn't want to be here. If you want a player to move on I'm not sure ostracising them is going to get you the best money for the player.

He now has a squad number and maybe he'll get back in and around the first team or maybe he won't. We will see. I always rated him and I'm sure some of the people calling him poor or mediocre probably held him up as a good signing when he was here for the first few seasons.

Hardly a love in.  I'm not saying he should be a starter when everyone's fit but how many seasons have people moaned about our lack of depth yet we have a perfectly good player at this level rotting away when he can keep us ticking over whilst better players are injured???

If he doesn't want to warm the bench then fair enough, ship him out.  But if he's willing to pull his sleeves up and put a shift in I'd rather have him than this Cisse...

I'm not being funny but can certain posters desist from making tedious points about the previous management in various threads.

I'm not being funny, but I think certain posters should comment on the topics in hand, such as Derby County, (this includes players past and present, management past and present, fans, games, stadia and many other things!) instead of trying to censor the people who are entitled to express their views (as long as said views are within the rules of the forum!)

Hardly a love in.  I'm not saying he should be a starter when everyone's fit but how many seasons have people moaned about our lack of depth yet we have a perfectly good player at this level rotting away when he can keep us ticking over whilst better players are injured???

If he doesn't want to warm the bench then fair enough, ship him out.  But if he's willing to pull his sleeves up and put a shift in I'd rather have him than this Cisse...

Why?

Has he proven himself to be better than Cisse?

Why is Bailey a perfectly good player at this level? If that were the case then Clough wouldn't have been willing to let him go.

Bailey on the available list yet how many clubs have come in for him? If he were as good as you seem to be making out then surely one championship club might have taken him off our hands.

Why?

Has he proven himself to be better than Cisse?

Why is Bailey a perfectly good player at this level? If that were the case then Clough wouldn't have been willing to let him go.

Bailey on the available list yet how many clubs have come in for him? If he were as good as you seem to be making out then surely one championship club might have taken him off our hands.

I've seen a lot more of Bailey in the past and can only vaguely remember seeing Cisse a couple of times.  It's alright for Bailey not to pull up any trees in League 1 but Cisse had his contract cancelled by an MLS team, and not a particularly good one at that.  Considering a number of contributing factors can affect the respective players form (club, fellow squad members, tactics, formation) so we should be judging them on their performances at the level we currently occupy in the league pyramid, The Championship.  And going by that Bailey has been and can be a good player.

From what my hazy memory can remember Nigel stated that Bailey had done nothing wrong to find himself out the side and it was down to Hendricks form.  Considering that many believe (myself included bar a couple of exceptions) Nigel's judgement of player ability is pretty sound, so I'd say he's considered a decent player by at least one recent Skybet Championship manager.

Archived