NFL thread

Perky1106

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I watch a lot but don't know a lot about how the rosters, player trades draft picks etc work.

Basically there is such a huge drop off from the elite QBs (Rodgers, Brady, Manning, Brees), followed by the good QBs (Roethlisberger, Flacco, Ryan etc) to the rest, it leaves teams scrambling for the right guy to be competitive, until they're in a position to get their guy in the draft. Obviously, when you are just awful you get in a position where it makes long term sense to be bad just to get the worst record and therefore the number 1 pick - ie the best person available in the draft.

I do hope that the Bears pick up a new exciting QB in this years draft. I don't have a clue who's available, but instead of sinking a $100 million contract on Cutler (who I love), I'd rather see us get a franchise QB on the cheap and free up some money to keep Tillman. Cutler hasn't gone a whole season since 2009, and while he can be a great QB he's so inconsistent.

But I don't really follow the post season and the draft, I guess I will this year.

I do hope that the Bears pick up a new exciting QB in this years draft. I don't have a clue who's available, but instead of sinking a $100 million contract on Cutler (who I love), I'd rather see us get a franchise QB on the cheap and free up some money to keep Tillman. Cutler hasn't gone a whole season since 2009, and while he can be a great QB he's so inconsistent.

But I don't really follow the post season and the draft, I guess I will this year.

Slightly harsh on him. He's been really really good this year thus far under a new head coach who is putting him in a position to succeed. The fact that finding a good QB in this league is very difficult, makes you think they can not really afford to lose him. Not every draft class even has a good QB in there... For example this years is very meh. Afraid the 100m is standard now when you look at Flacco etc

Does anyone keep track of/ support a team in College Football?

I know the big names (Manziel, Clowney, etc.) but I really don't know much about them.

I might just pick a team and keep an eye on results now that the Rams' season is effectively over.

Does anyone keep track of/ support a team in College Football?

I know the big names (Manziel, Clowney, etc.) but I really don't know much about them.

I might just pick a team and keep an eye on results now that the Rams' season is effectively over.

Only very loosely. Tend to do more research after the season is over when draft time comes around. I think Teddy Bridgewater is the top QB as things stand.

Only very loosely. Tend to do more research after the season is over when draft time comes around. I think Teddy Bridgewater is the top QB as things stand.

Same. When the draft comes around, I know roughly who will be going in the 1st round (and maybe upper 2nd) but that's it. I put that largely down to reading experts' mock drafts though.

Not heard of him haha. Do we know if Manziel and Clowney are coming into the NFL next year or not yet?

Same. When the draft comes around, I know roughly who will be going in the 1st round (and maybe upper 2nd) but that's it. I put that largely down to reading experts' mock drafts though.

Not heard of him haha. Do we know if Manziel and Clowney are coming into the NFL next year or not yet?

Clowney is. Not sure on Manziel.

I take whatever Mike Mayock says as gospel.

Can someone tell me why the NFL players feel compelled to have to wear helmets and shoulder padding whilst Rugby League and Union players whom have similar levels of physical contact in their sport wear neither. This always removed any real sense of credibility from the sport for me.

Can someone tell me why the NFL players feel compelled to have to wear helmets and shoulder padding whilst Rugby League and Union players whom have similar levels of physical contact in their sport wear neither. This always removed any real sense of credibility from the sport for me.

Because at literally no point do rugby players sprint 100yards head first into each other. Similarly, at no point do they catch a 40 yard pass down field and get absolutely leathered on an angle. It's all about the much faster speed and the distance they come at each other. Have you seen a running back hit a whole and everyone come crashing on him? Play after play the defensive lineman do more than what happens in a scrum, and this happens literally every play - not a few times every game as in rugby.

Watch a game and you will see the difference. It's complete ignorance to use the "wusses" argument as many do. Rugby is a rough sport, yes, but it's also a lot more close quarters, and it's usually one or two men tackling and releasing... not 5 guys leaving their feet and flyin at you from 5 yards away at full speed.

Fair comment just applying a broadbrush view I guess. Rugby has never really appealed to me quite honestly, American Football even less so, I used to watch it on C4 when it was first aired in the UK but never really got into it, it was all of the extended gaps from play/timeouts and commercial breaks that did it for me; absolutely no continuity in play to hold you to the game. 

That's because you do not understand the chess match which is going on in each play. Which is understandable as someone who doesn't watch it, however, shouldn't be discounted as a sport without giving it a good go.

Archived