Who's worth what?

Brammie Steve

In the early '70s Brian Clough signed Colin Todd for a record fee of about £230,000;

He paid £63,000 odd for Archie Gemmill.

A couple of years later Dave Mackay paid £100,000 for an out of favour but very much in-form Charlie George.

Siir Brian later shelled out £1,000,000 for Trevor Francis.

All this not too many years after Johnny Haynes (I think!) had become the country's first £1,000 transfer.

Today, Spurs 'reluctantly' sold Gareth Bale for £86,000,000!!!!!!!!!

How much does this mean Derby's current team is worth?

Is anyone prepared to guess how much Derby greats of the past might have been "worth" at 2013 prices.

How about the Stanley Matthews, Bobby Charlton, George Best, Duncan Edwards, Pele etcs of the game?

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Depends, Tottenham without question could be 5x better off without bale with the money they have received and turn themselves into actual title contenders (if money is spent wisely) 

Real Madrid have took a massive risk.

Bale isn't David Beckham, nor is he Ronaldo. He won't sell shirts, he is well known and respected but he isn't an 'icon' to me and ronaldo is still pin up boy.

So, for me since his commercial value is relatively low (probably on a par with Di Maria) then they are banking on him making that much difference in their league and champions league positioning - now, is Gareth Bale that good? It remains to be seen, but I could name players who I would bank on helping that much better than Bale. 

In the early '70s Brian Clough signed Colin Todd for a record fee of about £230,000;

He paid £63,000 odd for Archie Gemmill.

A couple of years later Dave Mackay paid £100,000 for an out of favour but very much in-form Charlie George.

Siir Brian later shelled out £1,000,000 for Trevor Francis.

All this not too many years after Johnny Haynes (I think!) had become the country's first £1,000 transfer.

Today, Spurs 'reluctantly' sold Gareth Bale for £86,000,000!!!!!!!!!

How much does this mean Derby's current team is worth?

Is anyone prepared to guess how much Derby greats of the past might have been "worth" at 2013 prices.

How about the Stanley Matthews, Bobby Charlton, George Best, Duncan Edwards, Pele etcs of the game?

It were Nishy that cost £230k Steve, a British record at the time -  Toddy was only £170k, that was merely a British record for a defender!

It were Nishy that cost £230k Steve, a British record at the time -  Toddy was only £170k, that was merely a British record for a defender!

I realised that when it was too late to alter it.

Even way back then I thoughtt Toddy was an incredible bargain. (Why did that idiot ever sell him on?)

Now, how about Roy Mac for £23,000! ?

Does that mean that a player like David Nish was worth ten Roy MacFarlands?

Never in a hundred million euros!

Different type of players. Hinton was a better crosser and had a better shot with either foot than Messi.

Jeff Chandler was more like Messi imho

Therefore then Beckham and Messi are not fir to tie Hintons boots. Alan was such a class player, best crosser and striker of a ball I have ever seen

Derby County team values i would guess at:

Grant ---------- 750k

Freeman ------ 600K

Keogh --------- 1.3 million

Buxton --------- 500k

Forsyth -------- 300k

Hughes --------- 8-12 million

Bryson ---------- 1 million

Hendrick -------- 1.5 million

Ward ------------- 750k (only because he is in the last year of his contract) 

Martin ------------ 1 million

Russell ---------- 750k

if the players of Derbys' 1970/71 team were valued today i'd say..

Les Green £500.000

Ron Webster £1,5 m

John Robson £ 1,5m

Alan Durban £3m

Roy Mcfarland £7m

Colin Todd £10m

John McGovern £1m (at a push)

Willie Carlin £3m

John O'Hare £2m

Kevin Hector £7m

Alan Hinton £5m

Frank Wignall £1m

Let the arguments begin.. :)

if the players of Derbys' 1970/71 team were valued today i'd say..

Les Green £500.000

Ron Webster £1,5 m

John Robson £ 1,5m

Alan Durban £3m

Roy Mcfarland £7m

Colin Todd £10m

John McGovern £1m (at a push)

Willie Carlin £3m

John O'Hare £2m

Kevin Hector £7m

Alan Hinton £5m

Frank Wignall £1m

Let the arguments begin.. :)

Man United paid £30m for Rio Ferdinand. Roy Mcfarland and Colin Todd were both better defenders, quicker and had better positioning and distribution than him. Both could bring the ball out of defence make 40 yard passes to launch attacks.

Roy also scored far more goals than Rio.

Roy Mac £40m

Toddy £35m

is more realistic.

Man United paid £30m for Rio Ferdinand. Roy Mcfarland and Colin Todd were both better defenders, quicker and had better positioning and distribution than him. Both could bring the ball out of defence make 40 yard passes to launch attacks.

Roy Mac £40m

Toddy £35m

is more realistic.

To be fair....I am better than Rio ever has been... but yes, closer valuations..

Roy Mac £40m

Toddy £35m

is more realistic.

ok , how do you rate my other valuations , realisticly ?

Archived