Would you sign a CB? - Poll

ChaddesdenRam

Do we need a new central defender?  

96 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

If we wanted Keogh but didn't have the money then we needed to sell someone to get the money. Seems plausible.

Keogh had never been mentioned as a Derby target before Shackell was sold. Not saying he wasn't but it's not very often we don't hear about our targets either through the media or on here.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So before yesterday Nigel was right and we didn't need a CB. He correctly stated there was no need, we had two playing well, cover if need be and there was no point getting anyone in.

Now I am to believe that he only said that due to financial constraints. That I should believe that he really wanted more defensively but he's forced to say it to cover the lack of finances.

Perhaps it's more realistic that some would defend his position and opinion and when it comes to looking like it was wrong then find an excuse.

We've spent money, we're not poor scavengers forced to live off scraps. We have a healthy enough transfer budget for this league. I have heard and seen nothing to suggest we do not have money to spend and only have comments of "we have a good squad and don't feel it necessary" to go off.

So before yesterday Nigel was right and we didn't need a CB. He correctly stated there was no need, we had two playing well, cover if need be and there was no point getting anyone in.

Now I am to believe that he only said that due to financial constraints. That I should believe that he really wanted more defensively but he's forced to say it to cover the lack of finances.

Perhaps it's more realistic that some would defend his position and opinion and when it comes to looking like it was wrong then find an excuse.

We've spent money, we're not poor scavengers forced to live off scraps. We have a healthy enough transfer budget for this league. I have heard and seen nothing to suggest we do not have money to spend and only have comments of "we have a good squad and don't feel it necessary" to go off.

If you ever get chance to speak to any backroom staff off the record you will know this isn't true. At present they see themselves as a mid table team and if they can put a run together, could get a 6th spot. They know they are 5-6 players away from being genuine promotion candidates and they need a minimum £10 million to do it (including wages). At present they have no money to spend, despite the wage cuts, we are still spending more than GSE want and unless we self generate we won't be getting anymore. Suffice to say we are scavengers.

If you ever get chance to speak to any backroom staff off the record you will know this isn't true. At present they see themselves as a mid table team and if they can put a run together, could get a 6th spot. They know they are 5-6 players away from being genuine promotion candidates and they need a minimum £10 million to do it (including wages). At present they have no money to spend, despite the wage cuts, we are still spending more than GSE want and unless we self generate we won't be getting anymore. Suffice to say we are scavengers.

Utter rubbish.

We lost 3-0 at home to Burnley yesterday...the team who had to offload their star striker just before the season and lost their player of the year goalkeeper because he didn't want to take a big wage cut...do you know where he ended up?!

I don't think we are that far away, an actual LB, a first choice CB and a first choice reserve CB on loan until OB is fit again, and I think we'd be close (although I must admit I am starting to worry about Russell being the goal scorer we hoped he would).

Clough's said before that selling Shackell enabled us to sign Jacobs and Coutts as well as Keogh, just saying.

And when Clough says he won't sign a centre half unless he's better than what we've got, people interpret this as 'we won't sign a centre half unless he's better than Buxton'. But, in my opinion, it should be interpreted as 'we won't sign a centre half unless he's better than Barker'.

Clough's said before that selling Shackell enabled us to sign Jacobs and Coutts as well as Keogh, just saying.

And when Clough says he won't sign a centre half unless he's better than what we've got, people interpret this as 'we won't sign a centre half unless he's better than Buxton'. But, in my opinion, it should be interpreted as 'we won't sign a centre half unless he's better than Barker'.

Well I am better than Barker at the moment.

Why hasn't Gjokaj been making the bench this season? Not even involved in the league cup. I am not saying he is the solution. But in the games he played last season I thought he did fine and if we are looking long term, he should be involved. Surely we should have a recognised CB on the bench? No I do not count Eustace as CB cover.

I've changed my mind on this - I don't think either Buxton or Keogh have been great this season & I think a lack of competition is the main cause for this. I had hoped that Gjokaj would be more involved but obviously Clough doesn't see him as first team material yet. Also Barker is still months away & OB isn't in a position to play for a bit.

Therefore, I would get in a loan CB until Christmas - doesn't necessarily need to be with a view to a permanent transfer, just someone who will hit the ground running & bring a bit of leadership to the back 4.

Slightly off topic, I would employ Eustace as cover in front of the back 4 - its a role he would be ideally suited for & would release Bryson & Hughes to do more effective work up the park. We currently are suffering (again) from having plenty of the ball but not doing a right lot with it in the final 3rd, whilst getting punished at the back.

I would totally dispense with a flat 4 in midfield - it lacks imagination & we will continue to struggle at home having 2 banks of 4 trying to unlock well organised teams also playing 4-4-2 who know that if they keep it tight at PP, they've got a good chance of nicking a result. Get players in the "hole" between the banks of 4 - particularly Hughes & we'll get the results our possession & ambition deserves.

It seems that if Keogh or Buxton were injured of sent off,in the near future we would have to use Eustace or Forsyth as CB ? ( dunno about O'Bs return? )

I too dont really understand why Gjok isnt even on the bench in Cup Games, either way it doesn't fill you with optimism  does it........ so i dont understand why NC says he's not looking to add to the defence, unless, he's playing his negotiation tactics so as not to look desperate and therefore open to being exploited, or, we dont have the funds, or, he genuinely believes we will be ok......  :unsure:

I guess we will all have to sit tight and wait for fate or NC to show us.....

I've changed my mind on this - I don't think either Buxton or Keogh have been great this season & I think a lack of competition is the main cause for this. I had hoped that Gjokaj would be more involved but obviously Clough doesn't see him as first team material yet. Also Barker is still months away & OB isn't in a position to play for a bit.

Therefore, I would get in a loan CB until Christmas - doesn't necessarily need to be with a view to a permanent transfer, just someone who will hit the ground running & bring a bit of leadership to the back 4.

Slightly off topic, I would employ Eustace as cover in front of the back 4 - its a role he would be ideally suited for & would release Bryson & Hughes to do more effective work up the park. We currently are suffering (again) from having plenty of the ball but not doing a right lot with it in the final 3rd, whilst getting punished at the back.

I would totally dispense with a flat 4 in midfield - it lacks imagination & we will continue to struggle at home having 2 banks of 4 trying to unlock well organised teams also playing 4-4-2 who know that if they keep it tight at PP, they've got a good chance of nicking a result. Get players in the "hole" between the banks of 4 - particularly Hughes & we'll get the results our possession & ambition deserves.

Agree CB to provide competition on loan just until Obrien is fully fit.

Archived