Would you sign a CB? - Poll

ChaddesdenRam

Do we need a new central defender?  

96 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nigel Clough is the manager, he's not one of these head coaches with players put on him to deal with, it's Nigel's job to replace players. He told us himself that it was his decision to sell Shackell not the owners. Yes it could be BS to keep the financial situation under wraps but we've also heard him have a little moan in the past about money.

I choose to believe him until I hear something from the club.

Nigel has had money to spend, we had Sammon, Ward, Theo, Tyson, Bennett, Ball and just 3 fit centre backs, one being a kid that couldn't get a game at Carlisle and what does he do? Bring in Martin and Russell.

4 of those strikers are Nigel's buys, you can't say they were the hand he was dealt with and having to offload them.

And Ward is a striker if that's going to be pulled up, we have a lad called Jacobs who plays on the left of midfield, that is his position and can't get a game. Another Nigel purchase.

Nigel's overall transfer dealings have been positive in my opinion. But the centre back issue has been a problem since Barker got injured. I'm sure Clough wouldn't have wanted to sell Shackell to get Keogh when we clearly needed both.

Where I do blame Clough is he thinks Buxton is better than he actually is.

Nigel's overall transfer dealings have been positive in my opinion. But the centre back issue has been a problem since Barker got injured. I'm sure Clough wouldn't have wanted to sell Shackell to get Keogh when we clearly needed both.

Maybe he didn't want to sell Shackell, maybe he did we can only sit here and guess, Shackell is gone and Nigel still hasn't solved the CB issue whilst spending money elsewhere on the team. For me this was a priority, number 1. If given a choice between Russell and a CB I would have took a CB everytime and used Theo for another season, wouldn't have been the end of the world and we know Theo can score goals.

For me Russell is the better player and will show in time but you have to sort your priorities out, buying a CB was like paying the electricity bill, buying Russell was going for a beer instead.

I don't think Clough should walk even if he's not happy with the finances. A lot of people work under financial constraints, should they all walk?

It they don't feel they can take the club further yes, otherwise they are no different to a player happy to not be in the squad at Man City and collect his money. Nigel took us to 10th last season, if he believes he can take us on further then great, if not thanks and good luck for the future.

If you think the transfer dealings have been positive I assume you want to see the board/owners given their share of praise for this then?

I doubt we will sign anyone either, NC has said as much, and despite the writting on the wall, we all know how stubborn that man can be........ 

That said, im sure every manager wants to better his squad, so there must be an element of him working within the financial constraints set by his employers...

But then there is the money fom Brayford which we were told was there should he need it..... 

:unsure:  :unsure:

Why should the owners / board take any credit for the transfer dealings? They set the budget, Clough chooses the players.

Budget is too small for a realistic promotion push against some teams budgets in this league. Yet they choose to say we're pushing for the top 6. No evidence of that for me

In Russell, Martin, Forsyth, Eustace, Grant, Smith (loan).

Out Brayford, Fielding, Robinson, Roberts, Doyle (loan), Naylor (loan), Ball (loan), Atkins (loan), Morch (loan)

Not a set of transfer dealings to propel a 10th place team into the top 6!

The official reason was that we needed the money. That was what the club told Shackell when he was interviewed on joining Burnley!

I have never ever heard anyone from Derby say that so it can hardly be called the 'official reason'. If we needed the money why did we go and buy Keogh out of the proceeds?

I've said it a few times over the last 12 months, we would thrive off someone in the mould of Darren Moore at the heart of the defence to lead us, attack the ball and just absolutely kill the opposition's striker.

I suspect any defender that deliberately killed the opposition's striker would probably get sent off so would be of limited value......

If we wanted Keogh but didn't have the money then we needed to sell someone to get the money. Seems plausible.

Who would you rather have, Keogh or Shackell?

I know you will say both but let's say both isn't an option, who would you have?

Archived