Chris Martin review

Mostyn6

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wasn't at all impressed, but he was unfit last season - looked disinterested, sloppy...etc

Still early doors, but hard work has been put in and at the minute he looks every inch of a premier league standard player, hope he keeps it up.

He's still no Theo Robinson...what a mistake we dun letting im go

martin was outstanding last night.  i was pleasantly suprised how well he linked with sammon.

with a bit of fortune they could both have had hatricks  connor's early effort was brilliantly cleared and the chance martin turned past the post was very close...

Looks a totally different player, had him at a similar level to Forsyth last year. Ok but doesn't really improve us much as a team. But even in the Leicester game which was awful he impressed me more than last season.Looks fitter, quicker,hungrier and his confidence is growing each game! Keep up the good work.

Five goals so far in August! Sure theo had ten by November last year, we just need someone to last a full season.

If Martin and Russell get fifteen each I think we'd all be very happy. Looks a definate possibility at the minute as well

I rated him, then I didn't, then I did.  :lol: 

Didn't like when he was always on the floor moaning etc, seems to have stopped that now.

He still is always on the floor moaning.

He doesnt half go down easily, good at winning free kicks.

But like you, I rated him when he got here, then was a little disappointed at times but as said looked unfit etc, and now he's showing his class again.

I thought he started off well last season but then seemed to go off the boil a bit (maybe it was just a lack of fitness), and for me Forsythe looked the better of the two at the end of the season.

This season its the complete opposite.

He's flying while Forsythe seems to be struggling.

Clough said Martin came back for pre-season in very good condition - and I think it shows.

Looks a good signing.

He still is always on the floor moaning.

He doesnt half go down easily, good at winning free kicks.

But like you, I rated him when he got here, then was a little disappointed at times but as said looked unfit etc, and now he's showing his class again.

Plays intelligently, but always get the feeling that given the choice between going past a player and going down will only go past if the outcome is totally in his favour.  Needs to show a bit more mettle when challenged and needs to work a bit harder too. That said, great prospect for this season. ;)  

Martin went down ONCE last night, when shoved in the back in the second half about 3 minutes before his goal.

He went down a lot against Wes Morgan, but I wonder whether that could've been part of a plan to get Morgan booked.

Martin went down ONCE last night, when shoved in the back in the second half about 3 minutes before his goal.

He went down a lot against Wes Morgan, but I wonder whether that could've been part of a plan to get Morgan booked.

yes -  and remember when he deliberately clipped morgan's heels when he ran back? - made me giggle.

I was very critical of him before, but I take everything back. He looks top quality this season and his hold up of the ball is excellent. Think having someone up front who can actually control the ball and hold onto it will go a long way towards not letting in so many late goals this season.

I was very critical of him before, but I take everything back. He looks top quality this season and his hold up of the ball is excellent. Think having someone up front who can actually control the ball and hold onto it will go a long way towards not letting in so many late goals this season.

I was saying last night, how amazing it is that he can control a ball that is fired in his direction, but is almost 6ft away from his feet when he stretches to gather it, then he manages to get it into his stride, whilst fending off an opponent and then picking out a pass. I saw signs of this last season, but too far out of any position that could do damage, ie near the left wing. Last night, and against Leicester, he was exhibiting this ability 20-40 yards from goal, where it was impacting the game.

It was truly special and he's my star player at the moment.

I was saying last night, how amazing it is that he can control a ball that is fired in his direction, but is almost 6ft away from his feet when he stretches to gather it, then he manages to get it into his stride, whilst fending off an opponent and then picking out a pass. I saw signs of this last season, but too far out of any position that could do damage, ie near the left wing. Last night, and against Leicester, he was exhibiting this ability 20-40 yards from goal, where it was impacting the game.

It was truly special and he's my star player at the moment.

I was expecting Russell to be the star player and personally I would have started the season with him and Sammon. If Martin can continue the rest of the season at the same level then he will be a shoe in for Player of the year.

Also, after seeing Sammon play last night I don't know how people in the other thread were saying he's no better than Theo. His first touch, movement, positioning and finishing were all excellent. I think dropping him has given him a shock and he looks better than he ever was last season.

I think we have 3 top championship strikers this season and I'd expect them to all get double figures this season. If Freeman and Buxton carry on at the same level, and Keogh pulls his socks up and cuts out the mistakes we can definitely acheive top 6 this season.

Archived