Barcelona interest in Will Hughes

CumbrianRam

Apart from getting called into the under 21 squad at 17, playing alongside a player that cost liverpool £16 million, a player that cost united £4 million, two youngsters from Chelsea and Tottenham, both top 6 sides, that will be playing premiership football in the next few years, and a winger that is rumoured to be leaving Blackpool in January for a 6 figure sum, and being at least a year younger then all of them, and in one case 5 years younger, so yes he is rather average

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He's just signed a contract with us you feckin eeediots. He wants to stay. He's not overhyped.

He gets the occasional mention on the FLS, every commentator comments on how comfortable he is on the ball, he doesn't have a zillion dollar contract with Nike and he's not on the back page of the Sun.

A jump to the PL would be too soon. e.g. Wickham.

He's a pretty grounded lad. It's Mason Bennett I think we'll be having the discussion about. When he's some 17 year old kid scoring a few goals in the NPC he'll get a lot more attention than our Will Hughes with the decent pass completion rate.

Apart from getting called into the under 21 squad at 17, playing alongside a player that cost liverpool £16 million, a player that cost united £4 million, two youngsters from Chelsea and Tottenham, both top 6 sides, that will be playing premiership football in the next few years, and a winger that is rumoured to be leaving Blackpool in January for a 6 figure sum, and being at least a year younger then all of them, and in one case 5 years younger, so yes he is rather average

As I said, he stands out merely because of his age.

But its the ability he has at that age. And a thing called potential.

Totally agree but some on here seem to be under the impression that he has Premiership ability at the moment.

Ability and potential are two very different things and all too often nowadays that potential is thrown down the toilet.

Totally agree but some on here seem to be under the impression that he has Premiership ability at the moment.

Ability and potential are two very different things and all too often nowadays that potential is thrown down the toilet.

I can see him in the PL very soon. But only on the bench no way he'll be playing 90min every game like he does here.

Which is why he should stay.

He doesn't strike me as good enough for the Premiership at the moment, but he's certainly good enough for the Championship. See no point in him going until he's got at least a season, maybe two, of playing regular Champ football, by which time we'll have a much better idea of how good he really is.

People are confusing themselves. You don't think that the type of player Hughes is with his ability and intelligence that he would be good enough for the prem yet. Play him with players who play and understand the game like he does and he would have no problem what so ever. HIm playing with Carzola would be good.

I would love to see Hughes stay, but i would rather take a big fee for him now, than let him go for a knock down price or even free towards the end of his contract. How many times have we seen our promising and key players sold for basically nothing in the past (Huddlestone, Addison, Commons, Hulse, Barnes) are just a few. I'm sick of it. How are we meant to build a club if we have no money to do it.

I would love to see Hughes stay, but i would rather take a big fee for him now, than let him go for a knock down price or even free towards the end of his contract. How many times have we seen our promising and key players sold for basically nothing in the past (Huddlestone, Addison, Commons, Hulse, Barnes) are just a few. I'm sick of it. How are we meant to build a club if we have no money to do it.

He can't go for a free anyhow, unless the club never offer one of equal or greater terms. He won't be 24 at the end of his current deal so a fee would be involved.

Will Hughes would struggle to get into Forest or Leicesters side.. But he's being hailed as a PL regular already?

Just like mcsilks says.. Huge difference between potential and actual abiltiy..

To be playing regular NPC football at 17 is brilliant.. But he's not the best midfielder in the league.. In fact, he's not even our best midfield.. Bryson currently has a higher level than him.. But Will Hughes's potential is far greater IMO.

Will Hughes would struggle to get into Forest or Leicesters side.. But he's being hailed as a PL regular already?

Just like mcsilks says.. Huge difference between potential and actual abiltiy..

To be playing regular NPC football at 17 is brilliant.. But he's not the best midfielder in the league.. In fact, he's not even our best midfield.. Bryson currently has a higher level than him.. But Will Hughes's potential is far greater IMO.

VERY surprised to read that from you, thought you'd agree with me that he's our most important player.

I think Bryson is important to our style of play, but he's not available for the pass like Hughes is. Hughes is also our best forwards passer. A Joe Allen that passes forwards, if you like. Even though he wasn't playing that well by his standards on Saturday, he was still the one getting some players out of rather sticky situations, and he also had the ability, still, to dictate the tempo of the game.

Is he intelligent enough to make it to the top? Yes. Has he got the ability? Yes.

He's a firm starter in a top-half team in one of the best leagues in the world, and whether you think he's a Premier League starter or not, that says a lot.

Stranger things have happened anyway. I watched Liverpool play today and they started Jordan Henderson! I don't understand how anyone who has seen Hughes play could say he isn't better than Henderson.

VERY surprised to read that from you, thought you'd agree with me that he's our most important player.

I think Bryson is important to our style of play, but he's not available for the pass like Hughes is. Hughes is also our best forwards passer. A Joe Allen that passes forwards, if you like. Even though he wasn't playing that well by his standards on Saturday, he was still the one getting some players out of rather sticky situations, and he also had the ability, still, to dictate the tempo of the game.

Is he intelligent enough to make it to the top? Yes. Has he got the ability? Yes.

He's a firm starter in a top-half team in one of the best leagues in the world, and whether you think he's a Premier League starter or not, that says a lot.

Stranger things have happened anyway. I watched Liverpool play today and they started Jordan Henderson! I don't understand how anyone who has seen Hughes play could say he isn't better than Henderson.

Henderson was a good player for Sunderland who were fighting for a top half position in the PL.. Didn't he win play of the year for them?

He might not be playing fantastically well for Liverpool but you've got to take into account the difference between the two leagues is huge.. Like I said, Hughes has potential but his current abiility is that of NPC standard.. Would he get into any other team in the NPC? I don't think so..

Henderson may not be worth the money Liverpool paid for him but come on.. Henderson isn't a bad player and he'd easily get into Southampton or Readings side.. Would Will Hughes? Not a chance,,

It's ludicrous to think Will Hughes could get into Liverpools side or that he's better than Jordan hendersons current ability.. He's a 17 year old kid who doesn't look out of place in the NPC.. He's not some wonderkid whose taken the league by storm and is by far and away the best player..

Would Hughes get into Leicesters side over Marshall and Drinkwater? Probably not.. Would either of those two get into Liverpools side? There within lies the logic.. Will Hughes is playing beyond his years.. Not many 17 year olds can play regular NPC football.. But abit of realism is needed..

Just look at how the likes of Bale, Naughton, Waker, Hudds have turned out.. They all played in the NPC for a full season at a young age, got their move to a PL club but then followed the loans back to the NPC so they can improve further.. No-one is saying Will Hughes can't make it at Spurs in the future, but that's far different to saying he could make it now.. Potential and current ability can be poles apart..

Henderson was a good player for Sunderland who were fighting for a top half position in the PL.. Didn't he win play of the year for them?

He might not be playing fantastically well for Liverpool but you've got to take into account the difference between the two leagues is huge.. Like I said, Hughes has potential but his current abiility is that of NPC standard.. Would he get into any other team in the NPC? I don't think so..

Henderson may not be worth the money Liverpool paid for him but come on.. Henderson isn't a bad player and he'd easily get into Southampton or Readings side.. Would Will Hughes? Not a chance,,

It's ludicrous to think Will Hughes could get into Liverpools side or that he's better than Jordan hendersons current ability.. He's a 17 year old kid who doesn't look out of place in the NPC.. He's not some wonderkid whose taken the league by storm and is by far and away the best player..

Would Hughes get into Leicesters side over Marshall and Drinkwater? Probably not.. Would either of those two get into Liverpools side? There within lies the logic.. Will Hughes is playing beyond his years.. Not many 17 year olds can play regular NPC football.. But abit of realism is needed..

Just look at how the likes of Bale, Naughton, Waker, Hudds have turned out.. They all played in the NPC for a full season at a young age, got their move to a PL club but then followed the loans back to the NPC so they can improve further.. No-one is saying Will Hughes can't make it at Spurs in the future, but that's far different to saying he could make it now.. Potential and current ability can be poles apart..

My point was football isn't perfect whereby every single player is deserving of his place and there is a perfectly positive correlation between players' ability and the team and league they play in and for.

For the record, I think Hughes is as good as James Ward-Prowse, and Stuart Pearce actually thinks he's better. Ward-Prowse is half a year older than him, playing regularly for Southampton, but he didn't get called up for England U21s.

Does that prove anything? We no. I was using that example to say it proves nothing.

All I can say is that taking away age and all things being equal, I believe that our best and most important player is Will Hughes. It's funny, everyone says that young kids can do no wrong but sometimes they're underrated. I watched Liverpool on Sunday where Sterling did as much if not more than Suarez.

Henderson is the opposite of Hughes. He looked decent for Sunderland, he was ok and English and then everyone got an erection over him. All he does is sideways passes. Hughes' ability stretches way beyond that so for me he's already a better player, though very few Premier League managers would agree with me there.

Archived