Clough may sell Hughes for £1.8 due to board pressure

DcFc Dyycheee

Might well be that Arsenal are interested and one of their agents has let it be known to a matey journo...this ***** happens all the time. Makes no odds until a firm bid comes in, just a filler story for the Telegraph.

Players like Will are gonna be talked about - there's nowt anyone can do about it.

Exactly this.

Just IF he was to go, I'd like to ask Derby what happened to the plan to build a young hungry team and the academy providing our future.

I know ofcourse you can't turn down good money and that it would be unfair to hold a player back not to mention the negative effect on keeping an unhappy player etc..... but that's why you can't build a team from within unless you're at the top.

It's why it's a silly plan and a stupid thing the club has said.

So if Hughes does outgrow us. And does leave. I'd like to question how we get promoted. Just to be a cnut.

"££ would bring in 2/3 quality players"

Yes, but that wasn't the plan for the academy was it?

My whole problem with Derby is the ***** that they talk. Not Nigel. But Appleby or Glick etc. They come up with some proper silly stuff. I'd rather they either told it how it is or said nothing. I know people would complain then too but atleast you don't have to go back on your words.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Are we a global brand yet??? I wont forget that one!!!

Lol

That was good. A 9/10.

But the Glick parting shot of us being up there and seeing us soon was even better!! 10/10.

I can't believe Glick got away with "pushing for the Play Offs"... he said it, it was on letters they sent out too, and then on the Late Kick Off Show, he said "the season objective is top 12". Probably because few people watch it.

I'm not saying "Board Out, Death to Glick". Just stop saying stupid stuff. Its insulting.

Say, times are hard. We trust Nigel to work within a budget to gain promotion. We will have to rely on his knowledge and his team to bring in the right players without derailing the budget. The Academy will also have to provide good players, good prospects that can aid the clubs goals. We have to be realistic. We aren't in a position to turn down good offers that can be re-invested into the team.

Not bloody...

Up with Man City

Building a young hungry squad capable of gaining promotion and by development becoming an established PL team globally recognised.

They're in the wrong business to make money. I noticed Chelsea made a profit this year. Chelsea!!!! Chelsea abiding to FFP rules. The rules that will level the playing field?! They'll make the gap huge!!

Anyway, this is a Hughes 'rumour' thread that I'm derailing.

Apologies.

Exactly this.

Just IF he was to go, I'd like to ask Derby what happened to the plan to build a young hungry team and the academy providing our future.

I know ofcourse you can't turn down good money and that it would be unfair to hold a player back not to mention the negative effect on keeping an unhappy player etc..... but that's why you can't build a team from within unless you're at the top.

So if Hughes does outgrow us. And does leave. I'd like to question how we get promoted. Just to be a cnut.

My whole problem with Derby is the ***** that they talk. Not Nigel. But Appleby or Glick etc. They come up with some proper silly stuff. I'd rather they either told it how it is or said nothing. I know people would complain then too but atleast you don't have to go back on your words.

But the Academy would be providing for our future. The sale of one Will Hughes pays for Coutts, Brayford, keogh, Sammon, Bryson, O'Connor, Fielding, and more besides.

I can derail it even more,

If you had to put me in one of the extremes of Derby fans I would be a "happy clapper" but like yourself I have got some issues with some of the ***** the board have come out with, another one "we want to base our selves on the Aston Villa model" WHAT???

Again dont come out with anything stupid, just say you are glad you have a man in who cares about Derby County from the academy to the starting 11 and you intend to back him all the way with out putting the future of derby County at risk, that would do me.

Back to Hughes, he will be gone in Jan 1.25 million....

But the Academy would be providing for our future. The sale of one Will Hughes pays for Coutts, Brayford, keogh, Sammon, Bryson, O'Connor, Fielding, and more besides.

I know and I agree. If the price is right i'll give Hughes a lift myself

But it's not the way they have said it in the past.

I've not got quotes handy etc. But I remember Glick pointing to Cywka, Hendrick and a few others and saying it's something like "these young hungry players that want to play for DCFC that are our future. We can build a squad of these players....." that sort of thing.

So, yeah our academy will help. But not in the way they tried to put it. Same as pushing for top 6 and finishing in the top 12 are different objectives but yet can be sort of the same.

I like it how it is now. Where the club say virtually nothing.

When Tom Glick was here it was all talk!

Exactly this.

Exactly this.

I think that it still applies even if we sell Hughes. The Academy is about producing decent young players brought up on first team principles who can make good squad players or even match winners. Think Hendrick, O'Brien, Gjokaj etc.

Hughes is beyond that, he's just too good to keep. You can sell a player that's too good for you and still build your team around the Academy.

I think that it still applies even if we sell Hughes. The Academy is about producing decent young players brought up on first team principles who can make good squad players or even match winners. Think Hendrick, O'Brien, Gjokaj etc.

Hughes is beyond that, he's just too good to keep. You can sell a player that's too good for you and still build your team around the Academy.

But Hendrick and Co don't elevate us. Hendrick isn't too good for us. So we're producing Championship youngsters to stabilise us? To consolidate us.

This is my gripe. Hughes looks as if he will out grow us. To keep him would surely see him become our best player. That would fit with the plan to establish ourselves in the Premiership. To sell him and any other youngsters that also improve us would leave us with academy players of the same quality of the players we could buy?

That's why I hate 5/10/100 year plans. That's why our academy/hottest prospects can't do what Glick and others have suggested. Because they are too good. They will outgrow and need to move on.

I know we will make money if Hughes is sold and if our academy can throw those sort of players up frequently. I know that money can be invested. I love it! My problem is simply the things Derby have said about building for the future.

It's about money at the end of the day. And some of the comments from the higher ups seem to be trying to suggest it's not. It's about growth and planning.

5 years is a long time. And a club like us aren't in a position to keep our better players for long periods of time without matching their ambitions. I think a lot of the talk and planning has been fairy tale.

The plan is for Nigel to perform a magic trick. That salvage whatever he can.

But the talk is as if we have something nobody else has.

But Hendrick and Co don't elevate us. Hendrick isn't too good for us. So we're producing Championship youngsters to stabilise us? To consolidate us.

This is my gripe. Hughes looks as if he will out grow us. To keep him would surely see him become our best player. That would fit with the plan to establish ourselves in the Premiership. To sell him and any other youngsters that also improve us would leave us with academy players of the same quality of the players we could buy?

That's why I hate 5/10/100 year plans. That's why our academy/hottest prospects can't do what Glick and others have suggested. Because they are too good. They will outgrow and need to move on.

I know we will make money if Hughes is sold and if our academy can throw those sort of players up frequently. I know that money can be invested. I love it! My problem is simply the things Derby have said about building for the future.

It's about money at the end of the day. And some of the comments from the higher ups seem to be trying to suggest it's not. It's about growth and planning.

5 years is a long time. And a club like us aren't in a position to keep our better players for long periods of time without matching their ambitions. I think a lot of the talk and planning has been fairy tale.

The plan is for Nigel to perform a magic trick. That salvage whatever he can.

But the talk is as if we have something nobody else has.

Not sure Hughes can do much more growing here. After a dozen games, I think he already is our best player.

I'm not sure what you can expect of an Academy at a club like us other than to produce good players for our first team and brilliant players to sell.

Hendrick came in and was instantly better than Savage at just 19 years old. No one seems particularly interested in signing him and in the long term, he's only going to improve. He's just having a crap second album at the mo, nothing more, IMO.

For me, the idea of "building for the future" around academy players never applied to if we produced a genuine wonder kid of Hughes ability. You can't overestimate it. We have probably the second brightest 17 year old in the country currently running games in the second tier.

If we had a player of Giles Barnes' ability or even Huddlestone, I would ask questions if we sold them. They are the sort of players I'd expect to keep. But when you accidentally produce a player like Hughes, you simply can't expect to keep hold of him.

Hughes is in a different league. It's a special case that no one could account for.

When I went to the Q+A session with Clough and Glick in the summer, they compared trying to replicate Southampton Academy, in that they would be aiming to sell the best prospects for £10 million, there's a bloody big difference from £4 million and £10 million. Personally, I don't believe this £1.8 million bit of the story, however, I do believe that these big clubs will be tracking him no doubt, it's up to this Sam Rush guy and the other board that is we do sell him we squeeze them for every penny they've got!

I would also have no qualms in if they do make a substantial bid that the americans do 'pocket' a bit aswell, they did take a £7million hit last season for us, so they do need to make some return on investment. Maybe 50:50 split between them and Clough? The players Clough could buy with £3 million would be ridiculous - Shackell, Keogh and Barker, arguably 3 of the best CB's in the league cost £3 million, so it could allow us to buy a good striker, good left back and a good left midfielder.

All about weighing up the pros and cons, but I wouldn't sell him for a penny less then £7 million

Calm down Ginge, he's showed potential and a lot of ability but he's not in a different league, yet.

Hughes is lucky he's at a club that dont have a lot of squad depth so are prepared to give him a chance at a young age, a lot of other youngsters wouldnt get that opportunity. I bet plenty of other clubs have got youngsters of a similar mould. Arsenals academy have probably got a few, that Jon Toral who played against us in the youth cup last year looked and is suppose to be, absolute mustard, but obviously not many people would have even heard of him.

Its possible that some stuff has been leaked. It could be some Journo putting two and two together and making six.

The idea that the owners want to reduce the wage bill is not a new one. They have been doing this under Clough from day one.

The signings of Sammon and Keogh were not cheap and maybe the owners think there was a shortall in the money that came in to the club through transfers compared to what went out. Add to that the drop by 2-3,000 fans attending each home game, and maybe we are making losses again and with the Financial Crisis and so on, the owners are maybe not willing to foot the bill.

Noticed during my absence how the Sammon fee,which no doubt started life as "thought to be/believed to be in the region of £1.2m" (all three terms indicating "don't know",otherwise there's no need for them) appears to be now accepted as a fact.The DET appear to have given him a new christian name.The accounts will eventually give a global figure for all the signings-should be interesting reading.

The £1.8m does have a certain resonance,however.In 09/10 GSE made a loan of over £1.7m,this representing the first deviation from equity to loan capital.A substantial amount of interest has since accrued.I did think at the time that if this amount were converted to dollars,it wouldn't be a million miles away from the reported MICG capital call default-it may of course just be coincidence.If there's any truth in the "Telegraph" story,then it doesn't necessarily have to indicate an operations shortfall,and that's all I'm saying.It should be noted that any loan repayment,should it arise,wouldn't show in accounts made available to the public until a considerable time after the event

I agree with much of what Alpha has said.

Calm down Ginge, he's showed potential and a lot of ability but he's not in a different league, yet.

Hughes is lucky he's at a club that dont have a lot of squad depth so are prepared to give him a chance at a young age, a lot of other youngsters wouldnt get that opportunity. I bet plenty of other clubs have got youngsters of a similar mould. Arsenals academy have probably got a few, that Jon Toral who played against us in the youth cup last year looked and is suppose to be, absolute mustard, but obviously not many people would have even heard of him.

Just shows if you put a kid out there, especially an english kid, football clubs will take notice. Toral is quality, but Hughes has the upper hand when he can say i've played 'X' minutes of first team football this season, and coped admirably.

Players actually benefit from being in a team where they are too good for them.It raises their confindence when they are playing well but because they find it easy they can try new things and take risks such as killer through balls when normally young players pass sideways because they are nervous and dont want to make mistakes

But hughes is an odd one.Naturally a player like that would be in around the bench and come on occasionally and start agianst the easier teams and cup games.But he went from youth football straight to first team football.Looking at how he was rated before last season shows that his progress has all been in the last year.

The club think we wont get promoted or relegated this season.So they have put lots of youth players in around the team to bump up their value and really force their sale.There has been lots of games where he hasnt been in it and we have kept him on.The club want to advertise him and make him more well known.The england u21s will certainty do that and especially as hes the youngest there.

The question asked is

How much do the owners want? as they dont see hughes as a player but money.We will sell him in january to probally a team that no-one expected like fulham or west brom.Then from January to Summer we will bring Bennett into the team more pushing for his sale in the summer.

If fans were going to protest about shackell a player turned 29 years old a player whos best days and chances to play prem were behind him.I expect a full blown riot when this transfer goes through.

The year after it will kwame thomas and Josh lelan then Jeff and Ob.

When will we actually keep them.

A club can accept a fee but its up to the player whether he leaves he can be forced but still that might not work.

Hughes is doing his a levels at the club and has often posted comments about english players wasting careers on the bench.I dont see him moving.

Hughes actually value if you add up everything such as the amount of apps for his age.The amount of Youth internationals.His goal agianst Millwall(somthing out of nothing) and his potential to play for England at a teenager(19)

about 8 million with clauses would be fair for everyone.

But he wont want to leave.

I'm not sure what you can expect of an Academy at a club like us other than to produce good players for our first team and brilliant players to sell

Nothing at all! That exactly what I expect.

My gripe is purely that with what has been said as part of 'the plan'.

My gripe is purely with all the talk of making the PL with a team we've produced from within.

Whenever Glick spoke about our plans it was always based on young hungry talent leading the way. Well, if you're youngsters are good, they'll get taken. If they are average then they'll stay...... but if they're average then they aren't really helping the plan to be an established PL side. The minute an average youngster looks anything better than average then better teams will come take him. That's all I'm saying.

Thats all my problem is. The talk. I know Derby will do what every club like us would/does do. But it's actually hearing about a self sufficient team built with academy stars becoming a global brand where I think "Shut Up!!!".

I said at the start that I'm being an arse. I just want to ask Glick if selling Hughes falls in line with the clubs comments when he was here? Because even though I know what's realistic and what £4m could do..... It's not the avenue of thinking he used to go on about.

I've gone on too much now. I'm getting on me own nerves.

Basically,

Selling Hughes if it helps the squad in more areas = good

Then, because I hate listening to utter ******** I still want to pretend I'm upset and question previous comments.

I just hate some garbage like

"the next Pompey"

"FFP"

"Global Brand"

When the realities are

"Nothing like Pompey"

"my arse"

"..... Really?"

Just talk real to us!! We aren't stupid or unreasonable!!!

Clough's always had a set of 'untouchables' that is when he's bought them he's wanted to keep them, Brayford and Bryson are two of these. Hughes didn't cost them club a big transfer fee and I'd hardly think he's on massive wages, so why not keep him? When he's out the team we seem to lack creativity, and our structure seems to fall some what apart, which is worrying to say when it happens when a 17 year old is no longer on the field.

The only way supporters will be happy is if we get a much higher fee than his valuation. The Shackell transfer was uproar because he was work double his '£1 million' fee, I just hope that Hughes goes for considerably more then £4 million, he's not 4 times worse than Henderson!

Its just some journo trying to fill the page.He probally saw the FAtv video and thought that he must have a good future lets link him with a club.

Interestingly Arsenal and both Manchester clubs Enquired about him after he was the key player in the u17s tourdement

and derby rejected it.He was also asked on his askfm thing whether he would join those teams and he answered why would i move from first team back to youth football.

I think the club are more likely to loose a key player like jamie ward than will hughes.Derby should look to reach the prem in the next 2 years inwhich time we should have a new owner.

The only team inwhich by not playing first team and still reaching his potential would be Arsenal.

His passing you can't teach, you have it or you don't, it's not very often you find that on an English player. The fact he's even putting in performances at all given his physique and style of play says it all for me. Bueno is playing regularly in La Liga now but couldn't cut it in this league, Hughes for me is already as good as when we saw him at Derby. Better, in fact. He makes a mark on every game he plays.

.He's starting to carry a decent Championship side now too. I'm only 18 and the list of players who I've seen for Derby who I rate higher can be counted on one hand.

I'm not getting taking in by the wonderkid cult, I never normally do. Never rated Barnes that much, never liked Addison and the point has been overegged with Bennett.

I'd be flabbergasted if I never see him play for England.

Nothing at all! That exactly what I expect.

My gripe is purely that with what has been said as part of 'the plan'.

My gripe is purely with all the talk of making the PL with a team we've produced from within.

Whenever Glick spoke about our plans it was always based on young hungry talent leading the way. Well, if you're youngsters are good, they'll get taken. If they are average then they'll stay...... but if they're average then they aren't really helping the plan to be an established PL side. The minute an average youngster looks anything better than average then better teams will come take him. That's all I'm saying.

Thats all my problem is. The talk. I know Derby will do what every club like us would/does do. But it's actually hearing about a self sufficient team built with academy stars becoming a global brand where I think "Shut Up!!!".

I said at the start that I'm being an arse. I just want to ask Glick if selling Hughes falls in line with the clubs comments when he was here? Because even though I know what's realistic and what £4m could do..... It's not the avenue of thinking he used to go on about.

I've gone on too much now. I'm getting on me own nerves.

Basically,

Selling Hughes if it helps the squad in more areas = good

Then, because I hate listening to utter ******** I still want to pretend I'm upset and question previous comments.

I just hate some garbage like

"the next Pompey"

"FFP"

"Global Brand"

When the realities are

"Nothing like Pompey"

"my arse"

"..... Really?"

Just talk real to us!! We aren't stupid or unreasonable!!!

I'm not apologising for everything the board has ever said, but some things you take with a pinch of salt. My main point was, when they were talking about building teams around youngsters, I thought it would be reasonable to accept that if we produce a player of Hughes' quality, normal rules don't apply.

If the board were to say "we're not going to sell Gareth Roberts, for any price", but Al-Loadsamoney from Qatar bid £21billion for him, I wouldn't be upset with the board for selling him.

Archived