Eustace shows his value says Clough

Curtains

"John, Nigel here. I have a burning ambition and I think you are the man to do it. I have scoured the lower leagues of England, I have pranced and danced through the highlands of Scotland, I am yet to visit Barry Town but I know in you I have found the answer. Together, we will reach the Second Round of the Capital One Cup"

I'll go and lie down.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"John, Nigel here. I have a burning ambition and I think you are the man to do it. I have scoured the lower leagues of England, I have pranced and danced through the highlands of Scotland, I am yet to visit Barry Town but I know in you I have found the answer. Together, we will reach the Second Round of the Capital One Cup"

I'll go and lie down.

That deserves a lol in caps.

LOL!

Made me chuckle too!!

It all seems to have got petulant and tit for tat at derby, Clough seems to be eager to prove himself right all the time and his haters jump on him instantly!

Sunday frustrated me massively but it's not the end of the world, then we beat a league one side and Clough seems to be "I told you so" about eustace.

Just want a bit more humility all round, Clough needs to be more adaptable and admit mistakes more often. Equally when we do well people saying its in spite of Clough isn't on either.

Realise we're all striving towards the same goal, be it by different methods, at different speeds etc.

Made me chuckle too!!

It all seems to have got petulant and tit for tat at derby, Clough seems to be eager to prove himself right all the time and his haters jump on him instantly!

Sunday frustrated me massively but it's not the end of the world, then we beat a league one side and Clough seems to be "I told you so" about eustace.

Just want a bit more humility all round, Clough needs to be more adaptable and admit mistakes more often. Equally when we do well people saying its in spite of Clough isn't on either.

Realise we're all striving towards the same goal, be it by different methods, at different speeds etc.

I only disagree about one thing.

The manager shouldn't feel any need to admit to making mistakes. It's a football club, which is basically a dictatorship, not a debating society.

No you're both right, and my belief that ONE league cup  fixture win in 5 years is pretty poor is wrong! 

Next time I’ll not reply to what you write but will try to reply to what you might have wanted to write when you think about it later.

Next time I’ll not reply to what you write but will try to reply to what you might have wanted to write when you think about it later.

That is what I thought as well. A bit confusing but will try to work out what he is really wanting to write in future.

The manager shouldn't feel any need to admit to making mistakes. It's a football club, which is basically a dictatorship, not a debating society.

I tend to agree with this.

The Manager needs to be right all the time. If he starts admitting mistakes he starts looking weak. Maybe fans like it but players like to think the manager is confident in his decisions.

Next time I’ll not reply to what you write but will try to reply to what you might have wanted to write when you think about it later.

Well, it shouldn't have been that hard, given that you both replied mentioning cup upsets and there being no forgone conclusions in the cup. My comment was that we should be beating teams like Oldham (relegation battlers from the division below the one we are aiming for top 6!) at a canter. I accept the opposition will raise their game and not make it as easy as it could be sometimes, but it's pretty poor to big up the opposition, given that we NEVER beat teams in the league above us, and regularly lose against teams from below....

Reminds me of a passage in the book The Damned United when Clough is being questioned by John Giles about his team selection and retorts that he doesnt have to justify himself to him, Giles turns around and replies that he's right, but he does have to justify himself to the 40,000 fans on Saturday.

Same thing applies to all managers including Nigel Clough, they can admit with humility that they have made a mistake or tough it out but either way the paying supporters will judge whether they agree with him or not.

Well, it shouldn't have been that hard, given that you both replied mentioning cup upsets and there being no forgone conclusions in the cup. My comment was that we should be beating teams like Oldham (relegation battlers from the division below the one we are aiming for top 6!) at a canter. I accept the opposition will raise their game and not make it as easy as it could be sometimes, but it's pretty poor to big up the opposition, given that we NEVER beat teams in the league above us, and regularly lose against teams from below....

I am not sure that I 'bigged up' the opposition. I merely said that teams that are expected to win in the cup sometimes don't. How many times have we played a team from the league above in the last five years, I don't think it is anywhere near as many as us playing teams from below (maybe because the teams from below have knocked us out before we get to them eh?).

I don't think that we are too far apart, it is just that you sometimes exaggerate the point you are trying to make. 

One moment please…

".gawkerassets.com/img/18j4og006jshsjpg/original" alt="original">

…no mostyn, I’m not a fan of musical theatre and my parents were married well before I was born.

Archived