Classic Clough

Angry Ram

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Which is a problem, you just give it away and get put under pressure again. He has installed fear in the team and you can see them get nervous. How many time yesterday did he come bounding out to his technical area screaming at players.

Don't get me wrong, there will always be an occasion when you have to do this but it should not be plan A.

:angry:

I don't think it is plan A for a second. There were occasions on Sunday when i thought we looked a bit panicky but I would hope that was a bit of first day nerves etc. Blackburn looked to be a very good Championship side with some good Premiership experience in there. They are also a very physical side who know how to use their body strength and it was against that type of team that we tended to struggle against last year. In my view, our two centre backs dealt well with everything that was lumped into their area. We we also played some very nice and slick passing moving forward. I didn't see too much to distress me yesterday.

Clough neutralised us! Blackburn didn't have to do much to get back into the game!

Blackburn looked good with Rochina.. without him I thought they seemed devoid of any creativity other than lump it in the box. And our tactical choices allowed them to do that. Why the hell are people making Blackburn out to be this great side? The win was there for the taking for us, we had the momentum and then we fudged it.

I don't get this theory of us

If only having two men forward for a corner isn't inviting pressure on then I don't know what is.

I noticed straight after they scored we got a corner and had 5 players in the box. Why wasn't Clough trying to protect a draw at that point and keep everyone back?

I agree why are people holding Blackburn up as some great side. They are rebuilding, there midfield of morrow who couldnt get in at palace and was loaned to fleetwood, judge from notts county, a winger who while was at Man U hasn't played many games and spent most of his time out on loan and Lowe who is a young half decent player. Yet they had more possession then out midfield that people harp on about being so great.

It's not splitting hairs. There's no offside in goal-kicks.

Only can't be offside from a goal kick corner or throw in, can be offside from kicking out of hands or off the deck.

I was impressed with the formation we played immediately after the 4-4-2. Bryson and Hendricks in the engine room, Hughes behind the striker, Ward positioning himself in line with Martin, Russell switching from striker to winger as and when. It was looking good. Probably our best spell of the game. It looked sort of like a 4-2-1-3, I was thoroughly impressed with it it. Then after half time it became a 4-4-1-1, with Ward and Russell/Coutts playing as out and wide midfielders and we ended up with a 4-1-4-1 after Eustace came on.

I hope he gives the 4-2-1-3 another go and sticks with it throughout a whole match.

In your opinion.

I fail to see how inviting pressure on to a defence that can't keep clean sheets can be classed as anything other than suicidal.

To be fair Blackburn were hell bent on getting the ball into the box, not by fluid movement in midfield, but straight by-passing the midfield and hoping for a scrap in anyway possible, we could have played 4-4-2, 4-3-3... 1-1-8 for what its worth, they weren't at all interested in 'our tactics' they simply pushed on and went direct, I would have personally gone for another centre back to help the struggling buxton and keogh out (perhaps we don't have one of quality (my argument) but to say another striker or attacking player would have helped us see the game out doesn't quite sit right with me anyway.

we never had control of the ball, or the game - pushing forward would have just allowed them more space IMO, just one of them days I hope is a blip. 

I was impressed with the formation we played immediately after the 4-4-2. Bryson and Hendricks in the engine room, Hughes behind the striker, Ward positioning himself in line with Martin, Russell switching from striker to winger as and when. It was looking good. Probably our best spell of the game. It looked sort of like a 4-2-1-3, I was thoroughly impressed with it it. Then after half time it became a 4-4-1-1, with Ward and Russell/Coutts playing as out and wide midfielders and we ended up with a 4-1-4-1 after Eustace came on.

I hope he gives the 4-2-1-3 another go and sticks with it throughout a whole match.

Yes. It got the best out of Hughes and we should play to his strengths because of the old cliché, he can unlock doors. It would be fantastic if Clough gave it a real go. You could see that Hughes had options with the ball around their box. Second half he had to do it all himself and he nearly did. Best player on the pitch yesterday. This is what really frustrates me, you can see in spells that we could be so very good (attacking wise anyway). There was no reason to change yesterday, if Russell was shattered then put Jacobs or Davies on.

To be fair Blackburn were hell bent on getting the ball into the box, not by fluid movement in midfield, but straight by-passing the midfield and hoping for a scrap in anyway possible, we could have played 4-4-2, 4-3-3... 1-1-8 for what its worth, they weren't at all interested in 'our tactics' they simply pushed on and went direct, I would have personally gone for another centre back to help the struggling buxton and keogh out (perhaps we don't have one of quality (my argument) but to say another striker or attacking player would have helped us see the game out doesn't quite sit right with me anyway.

we never had control of the ball, or the game - pushing forward would have just allowed them more space IMO, just one of them days I hope is a blip. 

So if they were playing long ball then they must have had plenty of their players in and around our box.

Why not push two players high up the field and make them think about having to do some defending?

When they took corners EVERY single player was in our box...why not leave one up on the half line and make them have to leave two players back?

I know where you are coming from and I agree that they didn't really try and break us down at all but the above is just basics in my opinion.

Archived