Oldham Athletic v Derby County

-JW-

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He did, and that's why he was booked, either for kicking the ball away or time wasting or both.

It was towards the end of the game; we were playing out time and had won a corner, I think. Hughesy kicked it 20 rows back into the Oldham fans to waste a bit of time I guess. It wasn't done very hard or maliciously so I doubt it hurt anyone but I guess he probably had a chuckle to himself.

He's growing up is the lad.

So that's why he was getting abuse on Twitter. Will's favourited the comments though, so he's had the last laugh there then. Good on him.

Game would have been comfortable if the ref had given one of three stonewall Penalties we had. Martins was the worst, then to rub it, he gets booked for diving. Maybe that's his reputation coming out?

Anyway:

Grant - excellent game. Control, good kicking, couple of good saves, caught crosses.

Smith - quiet. Didn't do too much wrong but didn't do too much right.

Bucko - disappointed. Gave the ball away far too much and was caught out a few times in his positioning. A quality striker would have punished him tonight.

Keogh - very good game, won stuff, tackled and some great blocks.

Forsyth - caught napping a couple of times but excellent goal line clearence. Nice having a good left leg though as made good clearances without kicking out of play.

Bavies - was he playing? Didn't do anything. No desire to get forward either and wasn't much of an outlet ball for Forsyth.

Hendrick - very quiet game by his standards. Didn't dominate and not too many driving runs forward.

Eustace - pretty good actually. Controlled and sasses it around well. Got his foot in.

Coutts - poor. Wants to do too much in my opinion all the time and doesn't offer a lot.

Sammon - battled well with the usual frustrations. Seems to be a second or two behind play at times and had a few opportunities he should have made more off.

Jacobs - impressive. Wanted the ball and a good strikers finish.

Referee - awful. Oldham could have shot one of our attackers in their box and it still won't have been a penalty.

Just for me usual frustrations, 4-5-1 leaves our striker too exposed. We won't be the attacking threat we should be with this formation but it does offer more protection to a fragile defence. I am crying out for our players to make more runs beyond their defence but they seem scared too, especially the wingers.

Still we are through, it's a win, a clean heat away from home and Clough will deliver more cliches.

Pleased to be through. 

First half was poor IMO, second half we controlled the game. 

Pro's

John Eustace - very good performance. If he can play like that for the 10/15 minutes he'll be getting in league games then I'll be very happy. 

Jacobs - Looks like he's come on from last year, very lively. Good pace, skill, touch.. linked up well with others. 

Second half performance, controlled the tempo and rarely had to defend any serious situations. 

Con's

Defending in the first half - so so poor. Oldham looked like they were going to score every time they went forward. Bucko and Keogh well below par in the first 45. If it wasn't for a very good goal line clearance in the second half from Forsyth I'd be here slating Keogh for another "lapse"! Switch on!

Forsyth's first 45 minute performance, countless hoof's to nobody upfield. Easily beat, didn't track his man. Wasn't impressed at all. 

Sammon - Same old, hasn't got a clue what he's doing, his feet are all over the shop. Good assist mind. 

Ref - appalling. 2/3 good penalty shouts out of the 5/6 shouts we had. Inconsistent decisions, he was really poor. 

Adam Smith seemed solid enough, didn't see too much of him but when called upon he did his job fine. 

Hendrick looked much more comfortable, as expected, in the center of midfield. 

Decent racket made in our end, shame we couldn't have filled that end as it's not far. 

Pleased to be through. 

First half was poor IMO, second half we controlled the game. 

Pro's

John Eustace - very good performance. If he can play like that for the 10/15 minutes he'll be getting in league games then I'll be very happy. 

Jacobs - Looks like he's come on from last year, very lively. Good pace, skill, touch.. linked up well with others. 

Second half performance, controlled the tempo and rarely had to defend any serious situations. 

Con's

Defending in the first half - so so poor. Oldham looked like they were going to score every time they went forward. Bucko and Keogh well below par in the first 45. If it wasn't for a very good goal line clearance in the second half from Forsyth I'd be here slating Keogh for another "lapse"! Switch on!

Forsyth's first 45 minute performance, countless hoof's to nobody upfield. Easily beat, didn't track his man. Wasn't impressed at all. 

Sammon - Same old, hasn't got a clue what he's doing, his feet are all over the shop. Good assist mind. 

Ref - appalling. 2/3 good penalty shouts out of the 5/6 shouts we had. Inconsistent decisions, he was really poor. 

Adam Smith seemed solid enough, didn't see too much of him but when called upon he did his job fine. 

Hendrick looked much more comfortable, as expected, in the center of midfield. 

Decent racket made in our end, shame we couldn't have filled that end as it's not far. 

It's nearly 2 hours away, and finishing work at 5 or 6, it's difficult to get there if you have to go home and then battle possible traffic.

It's nearly 2 hours away, and finishing work at 5 or 6, it's difficult to get there if you have to go home and then battle possible traffic.

I agree, that'll apply for alot of people. Also won't apply for alot of the 20 odd thousand that watch us at home.

If we get a decent draw next round at a team an hour and a half away there will be plenty more that suddenly become available though! 

I agree, that'll apply for alot of people. Also won't apply for alot of the 20 odd thousand that watch us at home.

If we get a decent draw next round at a team an hour and a half away there will be plenty more that suddenly become available though! 

I agree, I'd have love to have gone last night, but time was just not on my side.

Some scores from me

Grant - 7 solid, excellent distribution.

Smith - 6 looked composed, stuck to his task well.

Forsyth - 6 shaky first half, not helped by Davies who didn't offer him much. Vastly improved second half, good clearance off the line.

Keogh - 8 dominant, not beaten in the air and nothing got past him

Bucko - 7 beaten a couple of times but intercepted well and good distribution inc. one excellent reverse pass with the left boot to send Sammon away

Coutts - 7 good performance, worked hard, carried the ball well, beat his man. Crossing could have been better

Hendrick - 7 some good runs, broke up play, some wayward passing but overall improved.

Eustace - 8 very effective performance. Protected the back 4 well, rarely misplaced a pass

Davies - 5 disappointing. Didn't help Forsyth enough, drifted inside, set pieces not great. I like him but not one of his better days

Sammon - 7 good performance, mostly good control, layed it off well. Excellent play for the goal.

Jacobs - 8 looked sharp and proactive. Gains an extra point for the celebration! Much prefer him.through the middle.

All in all it was a solid performance, the clean sheet was the most pleasing aspect. Few decent peno shouts turned down by a very average ref. Hopefully we can take some confidence into the brighton game and kick them while they're down!

I am planning on watching every game this season, and scoring players out of 10 for their efforts in each match (only starting 11) hoping to see some continuity (or not) in their performances, something I wanted to do last season but didn't persevere with.

I've just watched the full game, making a couple of observations during it - for instance how many times a player did something I like or dislike, and tallied them up. 

Grant - 7 - very solid, without being called on too often - confident and experienced goalkeeping.

Smith - 6 - Started slowly, but got into the game more and proved solid.

Buxton - 7 - first half did most things well when called upon, second half showed lapses in concentration. 

Keogh - 6 - busiest player for me in the first half, making quite a few mistakes (infact counted 12 negatives, but 14 positives, much better second half with only 3 negatives and 9 positives)

Forsyth - 5 - jotted a lot of negatives down for the same thing, namely blindly hitting the ball down the wing - did somethings well, and definitely improved in the second half but not enough to raise his score.

Coutts - 7 - definitely impressed with Coutts, was the busiest player on the pitch - hit a few good balls into the box, and contributed in the middle of the pitch a lot.

Eustace - 7 - very good second half performance, after an average yet solid first - much more busier than Hendrick by all accounts.

Hendrick - 6 - did most of his play positively, but, didn't get enough into the game for me.

Davies - 5 - workers performance, very laboured down the wing - first half was better for him, second half he looked leggy and he was bypassed a bit, missed 2 sitters also. 

Jacobs - 8 MOTM - very positive play, intelligent with good quality. I'm sure he would get goals with more game time - battled well.

Sammon - 6 - first half was torrid, had a lot of poor service to deal with but despite winning the majority of his headers they were without direction, second half was much better and a much sharper performance before getting pulled off for Martin.

and despite not doing the substitutes, it was hard not to notice Martin's quality - different man from the one I saw last season!

Also doing this allows me to keep an average of overall team performance, with 6 being bang on average.

Against blackburn the average for the starting 11 was 5.364 (below average) and against Oldham was 6.364 (above average, just)

I am ultimately hoping this will give me insight and something to look back at when the season is over!  

I am planning on watching every game this season, and scoring players out of 10 for their efforts in each match (only starting 11) hoping to see some continuity (or not) in their performances, something I wanted to do last season but didn't persevere with.

I've just watched the full game, making a couple of observations during it - for instance how many times a player did something I like or dislike, and tallied them up. 

Grant - 7 - very solid, without being called on too often - confident and experienced goalkeeping.

Smith - 6 - Started slowly, but got into the game more and proved solid.

Buxton - 7 - first half did most things well when called upon, second half showed lapses in concentration. 

Keogh - 6 - busiest player for me in the first half, making quite a few mistakes (infact counted 12 negatives, but 14 positives, much better second half with only 3 negatives and 9 positives)

Forsyth - 5 - jotted a lot of negatives down for the same thing, namely blindly hitting the ball down the wing - did somethings well, and definitely improved in the second half but not enough to raise his score.

Coutts - 7 - definitely impressed with Coutts, was the busiest player on the pitch - hit a few good balls into the box, and contributed in the middle of the pitch a lot.

Eustace - 7 - very good second half performance, after an average yet solid first - much more busier than Hendrick by all accounts.

Hendrick - 6 - did most of his play positively, but, didn't get enough into the game for me.

Davies - 5 - workers performance, very laboured down the wing - first half was better for him, second half he looked leggy and he was bypassed a bit, missed 2 sitters also. 

Jacobs - 8 MOTM - very positive play, intelligent with good quality. I'm sure he would get goals with more game time - battled well.

Sammon - 6 - first half was torrid, had a lot of poor service to deal with but despite winning the majority of his headers they were without direction, second half was much better and a much sharper performance before getting pulled off for Martin.

and despite not doing the substitutes, it was hard not to notice Martin's quality - different man from the one I saw last season!

Also doing this allows me to keep an average of overall team performance, with 6 being bang on average.

Against blackburn the average for the starting 11 was 5.364 (below average) and against Oldham was 6.364 (above average, just)

I am ultimately hoping this will give me insight and something to look back at when the season is over!  

Maybe start a thread for your ratings? Might an incentive?

Archived