'Derby County Training Centre in partnership with the University of Derby'

Ash

Rams strike exciting new deal with The University of Derby

The University of Derby have extended their strong association and relationship with Derby County Football Club for the upcoming 2013/14 season. 

After previously sponsoring the North Stand at Pride Park Stadium for the last three seasons, the University have agreed a new partnership deal which includes becoming the naming rights partner of the Rams’ Moor Farm Training Ground, the provision of education to Academy staff and players and the launch of a unique Sport Management degree. 

The agreement will see Moor Farm renamed as the ‘Derby County Training Centre in partnership with the University of Derby’. 

The University of Derby will also have a number of sponsorship elements at the Stadium along with access to the training ground and coaching staff for its football team. 

Derby County President & Chief Executive Sam Rush commented: “We’re delighted to announce the University of Derby as a Naming Rights Partner of our Training Ground.

“We’ve enjoyed a strong and successful working partnership with the University over the course of the last few years and its positive news that they’ve decided to take this to the next level.

“The Naming Rights avenue is one that we’ve looked to pursue in recent months and we feel the University of Derby is a perfect fit.”

In addition to renaming the Training Ground, The University of Derby is also launching a new BA (Hons) Sport Management degree - the first of its kind in the UK - which will be working in conjunction with Derby County Football Club to give students ‘real-world’ experience in the business of Football.

Vice-Chancellor of the University of Derby, Professor John Coyne, remarked: “As a long standing supporter of Derby County, the University is delighted to build further on our excellent relationship and we are particularly excited by the prospect of working more closely with Academy staff and players.  

“The Club shares both the philosophies and approach of the University of Derby, as highlighted by its continued investment in its Academy and the opportunities given to young players to progress to the first-team.

"We offer our full support to the Rams and wish them every success in their quest to challenge for the top six this season.”

On the BA (Hons) Sport Management degree, Coyne added:“It is fantastic to be launching the degree which is the first of its kind in the UK to apply a field based ‘learning lab’ at a professional Football Club. 

"It is a unique degree of two halves, offering students the opportunity to immerse themselves within business and football. 

"Lectures will take place at the University of Derby, with work related sessions giving students an insight into HR, finance, media, PR, Sport Development and the Community being held at Derby County. 

"Graduates of this degree will have an excellent basis for a career in national and global sport, event and business management industries.”

Sam Rush was joined on the pitch at Derby’s pre-season friendly against West Bromwich Albion on 27th July 2013 with Liz Barnes, Pro-Vice Chancellor and Russ Langley, Acting Director of Marketing & Communications of the University of Derby to officially announce the new naming rights partner of the training ground and to launch the BA (Hons) Sport Management degree. Places are limited on this unique degree course.

Read more at http://www.dcfc.co.uk/news/article/partnership-with-university-of-derby-announced-954881.aspx#2YFAeA0iJjsABYzF.99 

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Stupid name but that aside it's a similar project to the one between Leeds Met and YCCC and the two Leeds rugby clubs.

As far as i can tell it's worked out well for the clubs and not so well for the uni as they shelled out way too much on the sponsorship. The clubs have benefitted from the sponsorship revenue and their players have been able to access a degree course to provide a bit more depth to their post sports career employment opportunities.

Cant be a bad thing for DCFC though, good stuff

This is my first post on this forum but, I believe, an important one for myself and my family. The name Moor Farm cannot be allowed to disappear just because Derby County and the University of Derby want to indulge in chequebook waving and this is the reason, personal one that it is but valid in my estimation. My father, who sadly passed away in 2011, worked on Moor Farm when it was a working farm for almost 40 years until his retirement. His blood and sweat are in that land, along with the blood, sweat and memories of lots of good people, the farmer Bill Hardy, his wife Rene, their children Richard and Rachael (who both tragically died on the farm) Harry Kiddy and lots more, too numerous to mention. My family and I believe that with the erasing of the name Moor Farm, the memory of all these people will also disappear and we are going to do everything and anything to stop this from happening. To Derby County and to the University Moor Farm is just a training ground, to my family and I and to others Moor Farm is part of our life, part of our history and part of our heritage. Dont get me wrong, I have nothing whatsoever against the sponsorship deal and anything that raises the awareness of the Rams and brings cash into the club is a good thing but not at the expense of trampling blindly over people memories. I am in the process of writing to Sam Rush and to Vice-chancellor Coyne with regard to this matter and hoping that the name Moor Farm lives on.

This is my first post on this forum but, I believe, an important one for myself and my family. The name Moor Farm cannot be allowed to disappear just because Derby County and the University of Derby want to indulge in chequebook waving and this is the reason, personal one that it is but valid in my estimation. My father, who sadly passed away in 2011, worked on Moor Farm when it was a working farm for almost 40 years until his retirement. His blood and sweat are in that land, along with the blood, sweat and memories of lots of good people, the farmer Bill Hardy, his wife Rene, their children Richard and Rachael (who both tragically died on the farm) Harry Kiddy and lots more, too numerous to mention. My family and I believe that with the erasing of the name Moor Farm, the memory of all these people will also disappear and we are going to do everything and anything to stop this from happening. To Derby County and to the University Moor Farm is just a training ground, to my family and I and to others Moor Farm is part of our life, part of our history and part of our heritage. Dont get me wrong, I have nothing whatsoever against the sponsorship deal and anything that raises the awareness of the Rams and brings cash into the club is a good thing but not at the expense of trampling blindly over people memories. I am in the process of writing to Sam Rush and to Vice-chancellor Coyne with regard to this matter and hoping that the name Moor Farm lives on.

It will still be called moor farm in one way or another - believe me. You have nothing to worry about! 

Will try and post sensitively here...didn't the place really lose it's status as a farm when it was sold on to build football pitches on?

No... I live across the road and the amount of bloody mowing and digging that goes on (not to mention the sheep running round)...

This is my first post on this forum but, I believe, an important one for myself and my family. The name Moor Farm cannot be allowed to disappear just because Derby County and the University of Derby want to indulge in chequebook waving and this is the reason, personal one that it is but valid in my estimation.

Without meaning to sound callous, a name is just a name... and the name "Moor Farm" is just a name as well... The fact that you and your family have some great memories of it is great and the legacy of Moor Farm will live with you guys forever...

However the name Moor Farm doesn't mean a lot to the majority of people (not fans here, we're odd people who get very attached to weird things) so unfortunately now it isn't actually a farm a name change is kinda inevitable... There used to be a farm on the land which my parents street is on, but I have no idea what it was called...

Sadly things change as life goes on and I think the most important thing to remember is that if you want Moor Farm to be remembered for the grat times/hard work your family and friends put into it then make sure you tell your kids... I'll certainly tell mine all about the Baseball Ground, sicne that doesn't exist any more...

Archived