Nigel in no rush to land central defender

David

He then had a trial with Crewe, Crewe FFS and they didn't think he was good enough for them and the only other offer he had was a conference team.

Oh please come on. I'm sure we could produce a list of thousands of footballers who have been released after a trial at a club and gone on to much bigger better things.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh please come on. I'm sure we could produce a list of thousands of footballers who have been released after a trial at a club and gone on to much bigger better things.

It's not just though is it

- relegation from the football league

- failed trial at Crewe

- no interest/offers from championship level since here

- our shocking defence

- slow

- drops too deep because too slow

- give the ball way

- hoof

- countless late goals

- making Glenn Murray look like a 100M sprinter

Positives

- honest

- try's his best

See positives to show my opinion is balanced

I agree we need a new centre half to play at side of keogh but slating buxton is very harsh. The man has come on leap and bounds and has scored very important goals for us. Everyone needs to stop pointing out the obvious. Dont you think clough will want a centre back maybe the funds arent there, who knows?

- relegation from the football league HE DID THIS ALL BY HIMSELF? I LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING PROMOTION IN THE POSITIVES THEN

- failed trial at Crewe WHAT DO YOU MEAN BY FAILED? WHAT DID HE DO WRONG?

- no interest/offers from championship level since here SOURCE?

- our shocking defence MADE UP OF 3 OTHER PLAYERS AND A GOALKEEPER. HOW MANY GOALS DIRECTLY ATTRIBUTABLE TO HIM IN RECENT TIMES?

- slow WON'T DISPUTE THIS FACT, ASSUME HE GETS SKINNED WEEK IN WEEK OUT THEN? YOU DESCRIBED DARREN MOORE AS SLOW BUT THEN WENT ON TO SAY IT DIDN'T MATTER BECAUSE HE WON A LOT OF HEADERS

- drops too deep because too slow REALLY?

- give the ball way AS MUCH AS SHACKELL USED TO?

- hoof PLEASE WATCH HIM PLAY RATHER THAN JUDGE ON WHAT HE DID WHEN HE FIRST CAME HERE

- countless late goals IS THIS EVEN A VALID POINT? DO YOU HOLD THE SAME POINT AGAINST KEOGH, BRAYFORD, LEFT BACK, GOALIE?

- making Glenn Murray look like a 100M sprinter SEE POINT NUMBER 5 (ALREADY COVERED)

Positives

- honest

- try's his best

- failed trial at Crewe

- our shocking defence

- slow

- give the ball way

- hoof

- countless late goals

Positives

- honest

- try's his best

Does the "countless late goals" refer to his winners against the gumps and the dirties?

Does the "countless late goals" refer to his winners against the gumps and the dirties?

A couple of goals doesn't cover up season after season of ***** defending.

It does for some people by the sounds of it.

Our defence is WEAK so so WEAK and can't believe anyone would suggest we're good at the back.

Grant - Above Championship Average keeper

Smith - ?

Freeman - Below Average

Keogh - Average

Buxton Average

Forsyth - Below Average

So our 2 CB's are average for the division and the fullbacks are below average standard. Our GK is class but overall I agree our defence is not top 6 and is average for the division.

We are not good at the back and I don't actually think Keogh has been as good as shackell but that's another matter. Buxton is ok and he was the better of the two for me on Sunday but clough has never quite sorted the defence out in his spell here for me, we have always looked like we could concede.

I think Buxton has improved loads since arriving. Originally thought a bit embarrassing and jobs for the boys from Clough in my eyes. He has improved a lot though, genuinely wouldn't mind him and ob being our back up at centre back.

He is very short of pace, and very limited technically. However has a great attitude and work ethic. Is very honest and always gives his all. I personally don't think anyone can fault Buxton. You can do no more than try your best.

Ultimately the manager should see areas we need to improve on, if he doesn't then he's making his own bed as it were. The problem is Cloughs stubbornness, he changes players that he blames and tries the same negative tactics season after season! Hopefully he'll get it right at some point, I doubt it personally though.

- failed trial at Crewe

- our shocking defence

- slow

- give the ball way

- hoof

- countless late goals

Positives

- honest

- try's his best

Yes Buxton was relegated from the Football League while playing as one of Mansfields two centre halves. The other? Alex Baptiste, a defender we all wanted.

Clough confirmed that before we gave him a new contract there'd been a number of enquiries about him from Championship clubs.

I'm not even going to bother replying to the point about our defence being ****. Mainly because it doesn't make sense.

You emphasise how slow he is three times, yes he's slow, but pace isn't a necessessity at this level… his playing style is perfect for the Championship. It would help of he was quicker though.

Let's be honest, Buxton's distributions been good for a season now, he hoofs when necessary, like a centre halves should.

Remember in the 2011/12 season what Clough's tactic was when he wanted to shut up shop? He would bring Buxton on, and do you know what? It actually worked back then as well. I don't remember one home game where it didn't (I'm not sure about away games).

A couple of goals doesn't cover up season after season of ***** defending.

It does for some people by the sounds of it.

Our defence is WEAK so so WEAK and can't believe anyone would suggest we're good at the back.

If you're talking about the team as a whole then fair enough, plenty of debatable performances to discuss.

If you're talking about Jake then you're wrong. Simple as. The bloke as had maybe two dodgy games out of the 70 odd he's played.

Archived