Nigel in no rush to land central defender

David

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On a positive note about Clough not wanting to improve the centre backs if he sticks with what we've got and we are too far adrift of the top 6 at Xmas.

He will be sacked and the new manager gets the Brayford funds.

Winner winner chicken dinner

@SNicholsonDT: For those who keep asking about a CB, Rams will only make a move if there's an injury to Keogh/Buxton or the right CB is available #dcfcfans

BCO

In fairness - as I said somewhere else, it's a risky move from Clough and the board, a bad start and the fans will heep on the pressure.

Should have just come out and said the Brayford money won't be spent, and it was always in mind to fund the Russell transfer.

even if it's not true?

It would have eased pressure, nothing worse than saying 'yeah we will look to re-invest the money into the team from the sale' to then go, well, actually we're happy with what we have.

Now unless we win the league, there will be question marks - if we finish second (well that extra player could have helped us to our first league title since blah blah) if we finish 3rd.. (well that extra player could have seen us finish top 2), lose in the play-offs (well that extra player could have been the difference).. finish outside the play-offs and people will be saying 'why didn't we -reinvest that money) and if we have a bad season, this will be the stick that beats clough and rush, and ultimately seals rush's reputation as a liar!

you think i'm being extreme? Because from my time of being on forums, and watching Derby - our fans are miserable and will not forget this IMO!

This is the worst thing that we could have said, especially if we're not 100% sure we're going to go through with it IMO

Rams boss Nigel Clough added: “We’re sad to see John go but he wanted to play in the Premier League and once Cardiff came in with an offer, he made it clear to us it was an opportunity he wanted to take up.

“We have got a very good fee for John and that money will ensure the squad is strengthened as a result.

Read more: http://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/John-Brayford-completes-Derby-County-Cardiff-City/story-19576021-detail/story.html#ixzz2apdf5MBZ 

Follow us: @DerbyshireNews on Twitter | thisisderbyshirenews on Facebook

It would have eased pressure, nothing worse than saying 'yeah we will look to re-invest the money into the team from the sale' to then go, well, actually we're happy with what we have.

Now unless we win the league, there will be question marks - if we finish second (well that extra player could have helped us to our first league title since blah blah) if we finish 3rd.. (well that extra player could have seen us finish top 2), lose in the play-offs (well that extra player could have been the difference).. finish outside the play-offs and people will be saying 'why didn't we -reinvest that money) and if we have a bad season, this will be the stick that beats clough and rush, and ultimately seals rush's reputation as a liar!

you think i'm being extreme? Because from my time of being on forums, and watching Derby - our fans are miserable and will not forget this IMO!

This is the worst thing that we could have said, especially if we're not 100% sure we're going to go through with it IMO

Agree totally,going into a season with two recognised centre backs is lunacy to me! Personally don't rate Buxton either so not a great start to the season.

All Cloughs or rushs response will be is that the money is there when we want to invest, if the right player isn't available we won't buy for the sake of it etc. now can add loans of quality if needed during the season or invest in january.

Just frustrates me that we're not going all out for the top six, don't see how we can not find a centre back of better quality than Buxton. Actually think Buxton is ideal as cover! We're always making do and happy with what we've got. Surely there is always room for improvement.

Matt mills springs to mind.Leon Barnett and jack hobbs would've been perfect but have already moved on.

Could of got Felipe Santana for 800k, Champions League Runner up, a couple of Bundesliga winner medals. A snip. 

I'm joking of course, his wages would be extortionate but it goes to show just how cheap you can get a good centre half for. Can't be that hard surely? 

Agree totally,going into a season with two recognised centre backs is lunacy to me! Personally don't rate Buxton either so not a great start to the season.

All Cloughs or rushs response will be is that the money is there when we want to invest, if the right player isn't available we won't buy for the sake of it etc. now can add loans of quality if needed during the season or invest in january.

Just frustrates me that we're not going all out for the top six, don't see how we can not find a centre back of better quality than Buxton. Actually think Buxton is ideal as cover! We're always making do and happy with what we've got. Surely there is always room for improvement.

Matt mills springs to mind.Leon Barnett and jack hobbs would've been perfect but have already moved on.

Could not agree more with this post, spot on, desperate need of a pacy centre half as we are so vulnerable to the ball over the top/shoulder. We need clean sheets and unfortunately if Keogh and Buxton is first choice centre half pairing then we might BBW shipping a few goals again.

Not at all - if you've looked at that derbymad forum at all in the last few days you'll see a bunch of posts by some absolute cretins, demanding this that and the other, shouting the odds, making close-to libellous comments and performing histrionics more in line with us saying we're going to rename ourselves 'Nottingham Forest B' than what we've actually said.

I agree with your point, just not claim that we did infact spend the Brayford money on Russell - we sat down to do interviews well after we'd concluded that deal, seemingly pretty confident that Brayford would be staying and no Premier League interest was forthcoming - I don't think we'd agree to a EMT inteview about him staying if we did think he was about to leave.

If and when Nigel wants one -

Not shifting the blame, the buck or anything. It's more a case of if and when Nigel finds one that would be better than we have.

Why sign one when we have Barker and OB to come back from injury (I spoke to OB on Saturday before the WB game and he said he'd be fit by September.

We have Gjokai to cover for injury until then.

Why pay out for a player we may never need.

If and when Nigel wants one -

Not shifting the blame, the buck or anything. It's more a case of if and when Nigel finds one that would be better than we have.

Why sign one when we have Barker and OB to come back from injury (I spoke to OB on Saturday before the WB game and he said he'd be fit by September.

We have Gjokai to cover for injury until then.

Why pay out for a player we may never need.

Agreed. But then if we are genuine about pushing the Top 6 we cant afford to find out a quarter of the way through the season that any of our centrebacks are not up to scratch and have a points tally deficit to make up accordingly - it will be difficult enough to make the Top 6 without giving ourselves a handicap to start off with

Agreed. But then if we are genuine about pushing the Top 6 we cant afford to find out a quarter of the way through the season that any of our centrebacks are not up to scratch and have a points tally deficit to make up accordingly - it will be difficult enough to make the Top 6 without giving ourselves a handicap to start off with

The point is that Clough thinks that they are up to scratch. Can only judge that decision on the performances of the players.

I've not been convinced of the need to sign a permanent CB - particularly with OB on his way back, Gjokaj looking promising & Barker back around Christmas time. Ideally, if a CB comes available who is superior than what we have then fine, get him bought (subject to it suiting our budget). I don't think we need extra cover at CB just for the sake of "numbers".

And re Clough's comments, it hardly makes sense advertising our potential need for a new player when we just banked £1.5m from the Brayford sale. Any selling club would obviously seek to take advantage of that fact.

Archived