Nigel in no rush to land central defender

David

Agreed!

Now please point me to the article where they promised a Premier League centre back would be signed within 4 days.

It's been well suggested by people in the know supposedly that the money we sold Brayf for would be reinvested in a replacement.

I won't be sold by a loanee for the season, lay down some cash because if we down how are we going to be any better away from home? We'll be the defensive whipping boys again.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's been well suggested by people in the know supposedly that the money we sold Brayf for would be reinvested in a replacement.

I won't be sold by a loanee for the season, lay down some cash because if we down how are we going to be any better away from home? We'll be the defensive whipping boys again.

'Been well suggested by people in the know'

A bit different from calling people lying barstewards and quoting 'promises' don't you think?

So you think 4 days is adequate time for them to find 2 replacements?

Do you think the season long loan has been free?

And how does a permanent signing make us any less vulnerable at the back than a loanee?!

No, I'm always right actually smartie pants.

We NEED a centre half.

The loan signing shouldn't be the priority here.

Time and time again we're given hints that things are going to happen and they don't. Hopefully we can get a defender before the window is finished and all will be swell.

However,

Sometimes it feels like strengthening the squad in every needed area over the summer is over ambitious as a fan? Another season without adding the finishing piece to the squad.

Presumably if NC signed this Barnett chap and we narrowly avoided relegation next season he'd be for the axe.

If we don't strengthen all areas required it leaves them with the excuse that they couldn't find the right man at the right time and we amble on to another season at mid table.

We needed both, 4 days isn't very long at all but from that article and quotes we can see an underlying truth which usually means, we'll make do with what we have.

Pre season signings so far have been cracking no doubt, but the defense is where we should of started. We made a lot of chances last season but didn't defend particularly well away from home.

Put the last brick in the wall and give it a good go is what I want to see!

Whether anyone agrees with me is another thing but that's opinions for you.

No, I'm always right actually smartie pants.

We NEED a centre half.

The loan signing shouldn't be the priority here.

Time and time again we're given hints that things are going to happen and they don't. Hopefully we can get a defender before the window is finished and all will be swell.

However,

Sometimes it feels like strengthening the squad in every needed area over the summer is over ambitious as a fan? Another season without adding the finishing piece to the squad.

Presumably if NC signed this Barnett chap and we narrowly avoided relegation next season he'd be for the axe.

If we don't strengthen all areas required it leaves them with the excuse that they couldn't find the right man at the right time and we amble on to another season at mid table.

Put the last brick in the wall and give it a good go is what I want to see!

Whether anyone agrees with me is another thing but that's opinions for you.

Wouldn't disagree that we need another centre half.

Shouldn't you be questioning what NC is saying about the situation though rather than accusing Rush of reneging on promises that have never actually been made?

Wouldn't disagree that we need another centre half.

Shouldn't you be questioning what NC is saying about the situation though rather than accusing Rush of reneging on promises that have never actually been made?

It was a knee jerk reaction to the fact that we might go through another season without strengthening the main area where we struggled last season. Surely first port of call to make any progress.

It was a knee jerk reaction to the fact that we might go through another season without strengthening the main area where we struggled last season. Surely first port of call to make any progress.

But what makes you think the blame lies with Sam Rush?

Surely it should be NC saying that this is our priority rather than he is happy with what we've got but will keep a look out?

My main issue with that article is the frequent use of the word 'cover'.

I have no issue with them not rushing into a signing. Starting the season with Keogh and Buxton is not going to be a problem, but like many have said, we need a commanding centre half to really give us a top 6 squad.

Let's all just chill out a bit, we have a decent squad as it is, none of this 'broken promises' milarky.

The overwhelming consensus is that we need a solid centre half, but do we need one overnight? No.

Spot the difference:

SATURDAY:

DERBY County are talking to Premier League clubs as they look to add two defenders to their squad – a right-back and a centre-back.

They will be either loans or permanent deals, depending on the view of the other clubs.

“So we are looking at getting two loans in, or permanent signings, and they are from Premier League clubs.”

MONDAY

"We are OK at the moment with Richard and Jake, and they played very well against West Bromwich Albion on Saturday," said Clough.

"Now we have got Adam Smith in, Kieron Freeman can cover both full-back positions and Craig Forsyth, John Eustace or Valentin Gjokaj could go to centre-half, if needed."

This is what really narks me about DCFC, the fact they say something and then contradict it a few days later. The Saturday story has interestingly been removed from the DET site now.

Spot the difference:

SATURDAY:

DERBY County are talking to Premier League clubs as they look to add two defenders to their squad – a right-back and a centre-back.

They will be either loans or permanent deals, depending on the view of the other clubs.

“So we are looking at getting two loans in, or permanent signings, and they are from Premier League clubs.”

MONDAY

"We are OK at the moment with Richard and Jake, and they played very well against West Bromwich Albion on Saturday," said Clough.

"Now we have got Adam Smith in, Kieron Freeman can cover both full-back positions and Craig Forsyth, John Eustace or Valentin Gjokaj could go to centre-half, if needed."

This is what really narks me about DCFC, the fact they say something and then contradict it a few days later. The Saturday story has interestingly been removed from the DET site now.

To me that is saying we aren't going to rush into a signing just for the sake of spending some money.

Just because the top paragraph says we were in talks does not mean that they are contradicting themselves, have you considered that it might mean the players/teams we may have been talking to turned us down?

To me that is saying we aren't going to rush into a signing just for the sake of spending some money.

Just because the top paragraph says we were in talks does not mean that they are contradicting themselves, have you considered that it might mean the players/teams we may have been talking to turned us down?

Exactly. And the last thing you want to do as a buyer is advertise desperation.

Two of the players listed for CB cover do not naturally play there, the only one who does he left until last (talking about reading a lot into what he says). It also isn't like Buxton has been injury free during his time here.

I think many people see a good quality CB as the final piece for this team, should that happen, we should be challenging top six, heck we should be anyway.

I think we will just have to wait on this one, like some have said wait and see what squads the Prem teams pick.

But what makes you think the blame lies with Sam Rush?

Surely it should be NC saying that this is our priority rather than he is happy with what we've got but will keep a look out?

I'm not laying the blame yet but I can't help but feel were going to go another season hearing all about a new signing a significant signing that will make the difference and it never actually happen.

It scares the **** out of me as we've all been sold a tale by the club a fair few times in the past, leaves you a bit wary!

I'm usually the optimistic type! wouldn't want us to fall short on all the graft we've put in to get the players we have though.

I think it's obvious we need to offload the transfer list before we can invest the Brayford money.

Theo - Someone will come in before August 31st.

Tyson - No, no clubs interested would match his wages.

Bailey - League 1 will sign him surely.

Oconnor - Not sure

Legzdins - Doesn't look like anyone needs a goalkeeper??

Naylor - not sure

Tyson will be on a high wage

Legzdins, Theo and Bailey medium

Oconnor Naylor a low wage

Exactly. And the last thing you want to do as a buyer is advertise desperation.

This is the point i was going to make, NC/SR may be just playing down their hand, so people dont ask for silly money as the season starts, also as has been said the prem sides havn't named their 25 yet, so a few players may become available then ? also, we may know who has/is going off the wage bill then too, so understand the budget better... just cos it aint happened yet doesn't mean it wont ....... softly softly catchee monkey, as my dad used to say  :wacko:

But we're stuck with the big oaf of a aircraft carrier turning donkey Jake Buxton.

Why don't you tell us what you really think instead of pussyfooting around the issue?

Archived