Nigel in no rush to land central defender

David

NIGEL Clough says Derby County are searching the transfer market for a centreback but feels the form of Richard Keogh and Jake Buxton is providing breathing space.

John Brayford's move to Cardif City means Derby have lost some of their cover at the heart of the defence.

Mark O'Brien and Shaun Barker are currently sidelined as they recover from knee surgery and James O'Connor has slipped out of the first-team picture.

Any new centre-back would likely arrive on loan.

"We are OK at the moment with Richard and Jake, and they played very well against West Bromwich Albion on Saturday," said Clough.

"Now we have got Adam Smith in, Kieron Freeman can cover both full-back positions and Craig Forsyth, John Eustace or Valentin Gjokaj could go to centre-half, if needed.

"So it is not a desperate situation and it would have to be the right player but we are still looking to try and get some cover in. We are making calls.

"With John Brayford going, it gives us some leeway to bring another defender in."

http://m.derbytelegraph.co.uk/#!/articles/news/article/19582413

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

disappointing. 

hope to see a CB arrive at some point, we need one.

we have 1m+ to spend.. right? 

Does it mean we (the club) have to spend it?

If you were to sell a car / a house / a painting / your bum whilst up against a wall on Saturday night, do you have to spend it all on Monday?

I was obviously joking about some of the items for sale. You'd never sell a painting.

:lol:  

Does it mean we (the club) have to spend it?

If you were to sell a car / a house / a painting / your bum whilst up against a wall on Saturday night, do you have to spend it all on Monday?

I was obviously joking about some of the items for sale. You'd never sell a painting.

:lol:  

No, we don't have to... but the line we were fed is that the money would be invested in the team. And personally, stop gap loans with no hope of permanent transfers do not count.

No, we don't have to... but the line we were fed is that the money would be invested in the team. And personally, stop gap loans with no hope of permanent transfers do not count.

Doesn't mean it won't be.

Alternatively, BCO.

Doesn't mean it won't be.

Alternatively, BCO.

Well he won't sign another striker, we have excellent centre mids, and he doesn't seem interested in wingers. Having signed a LB, RB and GK, that leaves centre back. And they are in no rush to sign a loan.

So it won't be this window.

what Srg said.

the club said the money will be there to strengthen, if in fact it's not, then don't say it! Would sooner them say we're not spending all the money, we're only going to spend a few hundred thousand on loans, than tell bs.

still time yet to get a CB in though, but going from what's in the DET, if we do get one, it'll be for another loan, and although you have to pay for loans, does it really cost £1.5m in fees to get two players on loan? 

oh, and by the way, I'm all for the loans where we actually have a chance to buy him at the end of the loan spell (Jamie Ward, Frank Fielding etc) with Smith (recently signed a new 3 yr deal with Spurs) I highly doubt we would be able to buy him. 

Lying barstewards! We want our permanent signing from the premier league!

If Keogh and Buxton were the suitable pairing to get us to places then why would any of us be talking about getting someone new in.

Don't fancy being cheaped out again. We deserve what we were promised.

To be honest, did anyone expect any different? Them quotes in that article are pretty consistent with what NC has said all summer about the CB situation. I would like a player in quickly as you can't afford to drop any points in this league and seeing the first choice LB and a CM being classed as CB cover as a bit worrying.

The Brayford money is going on the wages of Tyson, Robinson, O'Connor, Naylor, Legzsdins and Bailey and we will probably pay off of couple of these players on 31 August as nobody wants them.

No point bringing in another CB unless he is going to be better than Buxton. Would far rather we used Gjokaj as our main cover than resort to playing Eustace there.

I hope that this season Clough does not go for square pegs in round holes but that interview suggests it will happen.

Tad disappointed by this actually. I appreciate the conundrum they face with a fair few CBs on the books but it's a position i've felt was key to this top 6 drive. For me the pairing of Bucko and Keogh isn't quite good enough and i would have liked to see a commanding CB come in to improve the side.

Hopefully it's just a case of getting the likes of Tyson, Robinson et al off the books before we can bring in another body.

There's still time but i think we're a quality CB away from top 6 contenders. Patience is a virtue...

Lying barstewards! We want our permanent signing from the premier league!

If Keogh and Buxton were the suitable pairing to get us to places then why would any of us be talking about getting someone new in.

Don't fancy being cheaped out again. We deserve what we were promised.

Agreed!

Now please point me to the article where they promised a Premier League centre back would be signed within 4 days.

Archived