Home atmosphere

Anag Ram

I know we have discussed this topic on many occasions but I was at the Anniversary Games at the Olympic Stadium on Saturday and the atmosphere was amazing. This was drummed up by an enthusiastic presenter (Colin Murray) and two big screens showing the former glory of our athletes.

I think that rather than having the same tired 'motivational' songs at home games, showing some goals and images of former stars might get the crowd going. Also a bit of competitive noise-making Us v Them to show at an early stage we are just as up for the game as the team.

Could this work?

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know we have discussed this topic on many occasions but I was at the Anniversary Games at the Olympic Stadium on Saturday and the atmosphere was amazing. This was drummed up by an enthusiastic presenter (Colin Murray) and two big screens showing the former glory of our athletes.

I think that rather than having the same tired 'motivational' songs at home games, showing some goals and images of former stars might get the crowd going. Also a bit of competitive noise-making Us v Them to show at an early stage we are just as up for the game as the team.

Could this work?

They already show goals and images of former players!

The way to improve the atmosphere is having more young people in... Drop the ticket prices so that more youngsters can afford it...

Read a few football history books recently and they all say that the average age of football crowds is going up as no young local people can afford to go...

Anyone over the age of 50 who goes regularly... How much did you used to pay to go to games in the 70s and 80s?

The way to improve the atmosphere is having more young people in... Drop the ticket prices so that more youngsters can afford it...

Read a few football history books recently and they all say that the average age of football crowds is going up as no young local people can afford to go...

Anyone over the age of 50 who goes regularly... How much did you used to pay to go to games in the 70s and 80s?

I'm not over 50 but started going in the 80s, my first season ticket was £50, match by match basis (in the key club) was £3 I think

Disagree that attracting more youngsters would improve the atmosphere, I actually think they are the worst offenders for sitting there on their mobile phones checking scores at other matches or seeing who has just tweeted or facebooked (if that is the correct term!)

I would personally offer away fans to purchase tickets at the early digonex prices we get as home fans. Rather have 2000 away fans than 4/500 at times, know it won't happen due to obvious restrictions from FA etc. But we could be innovative here and maybe us lot who travel from time to time would get a big deal back from opposition teams when we travel there.

The only way it can be like it was would be to have an area that was ticketed but unrestricted as in first come first served on the seat, so fans would get in early to secure the seat, they would build the atmosphere just like when you stood, the south stand would have a been a great idea this season to try it out but obviously we can't due to legislation??

The only way it can be like it was would be to have an area that was ticketed but unrestricted as in first come first served on the seat, so fans would get in early to secure the seat, they would build the atmosphere just like when you stood, the south stand would have a been a great idea this season to try it out but obviously we can't due to legislation??

how do you build an atmosphere with music blaring out?

They already show goals and images of former players!

Yes - but not with the commentary booming out so loud you cannot avoid it. That's what builds the atmosphere. We need to have the hairs on the back of our necks standing up. We want passion!

The only way to improve the atmosphere is to have more people.

Simples

How you go about this is a hard choice, the most effective way is to get promoted and have a sell out every week but this is well, difficult.

If we ever manage to get to the premier league, I will be desperate for us to get Safe Standing across the whole of the South Stand flat area and create a Kop like Dortmund, increasing capacity, atmosphere and also ticket revenue. How good would it be to be the first Prem club to implement safe standing and be renowned for having a quality atmosphere.

At the moment I think Flagman and Rush and Clough are trying really hard with the football league but I guess being in the championship we don't have as much bargaining power as we would pushing this forward say if we were a premierleague side. I don't know but I think the safe standing could help pride parks atmosphere in the long term.

I'm not over 50 but started going in the 80s, my first season ticket was £50, match by match basis (in the key club) was £3 I think

Disagree that attracting more youngsters would improve the atmosphere, I actually think they are the worst offenders for sitting there on their mobile phones checking scores at other matches or seeing who has just tweeted or facebooked (if that is the correct term!)

Adjusted for inflation that season ticket would be £181.56, as of 2012

Archived