Brayford replacement

-JW-

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't doubt that one or two have been lined up. I can see Theo going before long, which gives a bit of wriggle room, wages wise.

It's just nerve wracking now, as the selling clubs now hold the aces and know we need to buy.

Looking at it positively, the new additions 'allowed' as a result of Brayford swift departure could benefit us.

I'm not happy about him going because he was good and I liked him but I trust Clough and Derby to bring in someone of equal quality. It's going to be interesting to see what happens, will we hand it to Freeman? Or will we bring in someone new? 

What do we need? A RB? A CB? Or what? I'm confused.

I suppose it was just a matter of time before he went really, shame thou, as this will def effect our season

perhaps this was another reason for the Eustace signing as well. Hopefully we can get a top CB, I do think

however that Freeman can step up.

Thanks. 

I'm not worried, are you?

:unsure:

Nope. This is a transfer that's been happening for weeks.

From the club's perspective they have always said 'sign a contract extension or we will sell you'. That's their policy with everyone and very sensible too.

JB's agent has been touting him around for at least the last four months through the close season. They have, rumour would have it, had talks before when Cardiff looked like they were going up. The agent probably said to Cardiff - we want to wait to see what other options there are rather than sign for you now, but we may well be interested. Or he just dragged the discussions out.

On the face of it there weren't any/many alternatives - Wigan didn't want to pay Derby's valuation and were a Championship rival and weren't a very exciting alternative to JB and they wanted Perch anyway. Who else has been interested? From what we know, no one serious.

Derby knew this fandango was going on - JB's agent was probably telling them - so they have known for some time that JB probably would go and for roughly how much. Nigel and Sam Rush will have been discussing what they would do for some weeks, and what they can afford. One of the options will be not replacing him at all, which will largely be a football decision I would guess, rather than a financial one. And from a timing point of view there's plenty of time - there's 10 days to kick off and more until the window closes, then there's the loan system and we have a manager that likes to develop the younger players, give them a chance if he can. No reason to worry.

To my mind it would be no bad thing to invest the money in a solid centre back and take a gamble on a Freeman/O'Connor competition for the right back position. As I'm sure some other people have pointed out, O'Connor is naturally a right back and he's never even played there for us; he always seemed solid enough there for Doncaster. A centre back of real quality to play alongside Keogh will benefit us a hell of a lot more defensively and I don't think the attacking side of the game will suffer at all from last season when you take into account that we've signed both Russell and Martin.

From the chap who claimed Brayford and perhaps Ward will be off:

'Soon it will be revealed that we will take 1 loan player and one pernament signing to replace the 2 who will depart. Yes one is obviously a right back and his name has been mentioned before its Flannagan from Liverpool, 6 month deal. The other player we want in is an England international (he is not current but not that long ago since his last cap), this is a player who will excite if the club can pull it off, and yes he will make a big difference, if he signs it will be like a Dave Mackay signing and will be real coupe, so lets start thinking positive we might just do this.'

Hmm I have had a look and I'm thinking it could be Zat Knight but there are one or two other possibles but that's my guess for now...

Actually he says the two that will depart so if he's meaning Ward, this England international may not be a defender afterall!

It would be annoying if Ward went too...I can handle players leaving and if we had a decent price for Ward, fair enough but at this stage in the season and having to change so many personnel around again! There's never enough stability at the club - so much chopping and changing.

When you have players who know the set-up, the rest of the squad and have performed in this team, then sometimes it's better the devil you know...I guess that's business but it's not easy to create a promotion winning team if you're having to change so much every pre-season.

Archived