Derbyshire/Staffordshire/Dorset and surrounding areas including France/Africa wildlife

froggg

• 1 year later...
13 hours ago, froggg said:

Poor Pike gets nabbed by Great White Egret in the New Forest today.

D74A4910-E506-492D-B614-924BB786B7BA.jpeg

I guess this is like those Derby and Burton fans, you like birds and you like fish, are you happy to see the bird fed or are you feeling for the fish being eaten? Why you should only have one club, so you don’t end up in a Pike and Egret situation, you’ll only regret it.

3 hours ago, David said:

I guess this is like those Derby and Burton fans, you like birds and you like fish, are you happy to see the bird fed or are you feeling for the fish being eaten? Why you should only have one club, so you don’t end up in a Pike and Egret situation, you’ll only regret it.

Funny thing is that the roles could have been reversed if that pike had been a thirty pounder.

• 3 years later...

Anybody twitching at the minute? Have a soft NY resolution to attract more wildlife/birds to our small Sheffield garden, mainly because we are over run with magpies and pigeons most of the time. Taking it all rather slowly and seeing what works but been out and got some feeders to compliment a rowan tree. We’ve had stuff coming to the feeders and fat balls but have not been at home to see what exactly, anyway yesterday I had a look out and saw a mistle thrush out there enjoying the berries on the rowan. It’s a little thing but I have to stress we’ve barely seen anything like that around us aside some swifts in summer, along with the result yesterday it made my day. 

Anyway advice on what to add would be appreciated. I’m going to get a small bird bath for now and we are looking to add some hawthorn to get more berries/shrubbery then have a look at it all again in spring when it’s a bit warmer.

Also I picked up a bird house that I need to attach to the side of our house at some point.

Sounds like you are doing the right things. The water bath is probably as important as putting feed out, particularly if we get another very frosty spell and there is little water for birds to drink or keep the insulating properties of their feathers in good order.  I always say if you are going to feed birds in the garden, you need to do it consistently and certainly into spring to help them go into the breeding season in good condition.  I like the idea of planting more berry producing shrubs, hawthorn is excellent but cotoneaster although not native, is a good producer of berries for thrushes.  Think about  increasing the flowers in the garden as these will attract insects which birds need during the summer to feed their young. Good luck!