Gus Poyet

Day

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Brighton have sensationally suspended boss Gus Poyet and banned him from the club.

Poyet and his assistants, Mauricio Taricco and Charlie Oatway, have all been instructed to stay away by the Championship side.

They have also been ordered not to contact any of Albion's players, after Poyet told the squad he was likely to quit.

The 45-year-old informed the players of his decision on Tuesday - the day after their Championship play-off exit at the hands of arch-rivals Crystal Palace.

Poyet feels he has taken the club as far as he can, after being told the budget for next season was just £10million.

Angry chairman Tony Bloom has now responded by suspending Poyet in a messy row which effectively ends the Uruguyan's reign.

A parting is inevitable with Poyet in the frame for both the Fulham and Everton jobs - and possibly Stoke too if Tony Pulis leaves after a difficult season.

Former Chelsea and Tottenham star Poyet is highly-rated thanks to the job he has done at the Seagulls since taking charge in 2009.

Brighton were in League One and playing at the humble Withdean Stadium then, but he took them up to the Championship, where they finished fourth this season.

Poyet is ambitious to manage in the Premier League and feels he has earned a crack after success at Brighton despite one of the smaller budgets.

He has a £2million compensation clause in a five-year contract signed in September 2011.

Although Poyet turned down a switch to the Premier League with since-relegated Reading in March, he is now certain to leave Brighton.

The Mirror, who revealed on Tuesday that Poyet was set to leave, contacted Brighton for a response, but they declined to comment.

Check out all the latest News, Sport & Celeb gossip at Mirror.co.uk http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/everton-fulham-candidate-gus-poyet-1893586#ixzz2TU66ili8 
Follow us: @DailyMirror on Twitter | DailyMirror on Facebook

I watched his interview and I can only say he's probably brought it on himself. He was very open in stating that he didn't feel Brighton were good enough or ambitious enough to take the next step. That he felt they had reached their ceiling and he wouldn;t stick around if that were the case.

I like Poyet, I liked him as a player and I like him so far as a manager as well.

He's jjust dropped a major ******* though.

I think he's going on to become a very good manager but he needs to realise he can't hold a gun to his employers heads or he will get a reputation he doesn't need. Brighton gave him his chance and they've backed him fairly well financially as well.

I wonder if there's a clause in his contract blocking him from talking to anyone without Brightons permission. If there is they could easily scupper his proposed move to Everton or wherever it his he wants to go to.

Fascinating rumour going around that human faeces was found in the crystal palace changing room at half-time in the play-off match and that the suspension of the Brighton coaching staff is linked to that.

Honestly the weirdest football rumour I've ever heard.

Fascinating rumour going around that human faeces was found in the crystal palace changing room at half-time in the play-off match and that the suspension of the Brighton coaching staff is linked to that.

Honestly the weirdest football rumour I've ever heard.

Where you hear that?

Cant even see that on their message board, although admittedly I didnt look very hard.

I quite like Poyet but he needs to learn when to keep his mouth shut, fair play to Tony Bloom for not taking any **** (no pun intented), blokes a legend. 

Has no-one seen the fees and wages needed to bring in some of those players? Of course he's had a huge amount of money to spend, £2m on Ulloa for a start in January.

Wayne Bridge? Matthew Upson? Kuszczack from United? The ability to have Vicente barely playing on the sidelines for God knows how much?

He has had alot of cash to work with, far more than most. No wonder they weren't doing too badly.

Archived