Carry on defending Addison

David

MILES Addison is set to carry on playing at centre-half for Derby County this season despite impressing as a midfielder for much of the campaign.

Addison was a defender as a youth team player but former Rams manager Paul Jewell handed him a midfield role in August.

Thirty of his 33 appearances have come in the middle of the park but his last three starts against Nottingham Forest, Birmingham City and Coventry City have been at the heart of the defence.

And manager Nigel Clough sees that as Addison's position, certainly for the rest of the season with Paul Green and Robbie Savage doing well as a midfield partnership.

"Miles will be considered more as a centre-half. There might be times when, if Greenie or Robbie get injured, we might consider him in there but predominantly he will be regarded as a centre-half," said Clough.

"Robbie is doing very well indeed in midfield. He saw a lot of the ball against Forest the other night and was instrumental in the first and third goals.

"We just feel it is a better balance in there. Miles and Greenie were doing very well but Robbie just gives us a little bit more calmness, he puts his foot on the ball at times.

"The two young lads. Greenie and Miles, are all action, but we just needed a better balance."

Addison is fit for today's Championship clash against Plymouth Argyle at Home Park after a tight hamstring kept him out of Wednesday's victory over Nottingham Forest in the FA Cup fourth round replay.

But the 20-year-old is walking a suspension tightrope.

He is one yellow card away from reaching 10 which brings a two-match ban.

Savage and Lewin Nyatanga are on four yellows. Five results in a one-match suspension.

Three of Savage's four bookings came while on loan at Brighton.

Jay McEveley picked up his fifth yellow against Forest and will miss the FA Cup tie against Manchester United a week tomorrow. Three of McEveley's cards came during his loan spell at Charlton.

[url=http://www.thisisderbyshire.co.uk/sport/Carry-defending-Addison-told-Rams-manager/article-678715-detail/article.html]http://www.thisisderbyshire.co.uk/sport/Ca...il/article.html

Looks like Savage has earned a regular spot in the first team now, fair play to the guy. Where this all leaves Leacock when he's back fit I'm not sure.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think I prefer Addison as a centre back, in midfield, sometimes he strikes me as someone playing out of position. I'd like to see Leacock giving Addison and Albrechtsen competition. Clough's a sensible enough manager to know that we need more than two good centre backs to cover two positions, which is probably why he's brought Addison back there.

In addison we have an awesome young player that can play in 3 positions, Centreback, Defensive midfield, centre midfield, that means we have cover for all 3 positions. More worryingly is a hard fought match today and we could have 3 more suspensions, 2 of which are key players and one who would have probably been on the bench if not on the pitch.

Archived