The Big Sammon Thread

Rich3478

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

if we're going to play 4-5-1 we need a player as close to sammon as possible..

Cloughs 4-4-1-1 with 4 CMs as the midfield and Ward who naturally drifts out wide just isn't going to work.. Ameturish decisions once again by Clough who never seems to learn..

With the players we've got we should put our best widemen outwide (Ward, Jacobs) we should put or best CMs in CM (Bryson and Hendrick/Coutts) and have our best passing player close to Sammon to give him options (Hughes - He could play the Wilshire role quite comfortably)..

If not, drop a CM, play Hughes further back, play Couttsdown the right, Jacobs down the left and either play Ward as close to Sammon as possible and down the middle, or play Theo there..

Either way, whatever way you're looking at it, it's square pegs in round holes.. Cloughs buys don't match the formations he's trying to play.. It's awful.. We've been needing a decent RW and creativity for 3 years now..

Shocking performance today from the lads, 4-4-2 started ok but as has been said he drifted today and bris came in and oh hey, its our old friend the 4-5-1. Drop hughes, and get a striker on. Know robo was out today but we do have alternatives... Where is tyson? if hes injured or loaned forgive me (have not been keeping up-to-date much over christmas) but hes not a bad striker give him a chance. Maybe when robo's back start him and sammon then bring on tyson 60-70 mins? as I know he cant last 90 minutes.

Just got a half season ticket. Have I made a bad mistake? Hope Not.

Also Roger Davies on RD summed it up today for me "Their 2 strikers and Danny Graham's wages equal our entire team's wages" We were probably gonna lose today but not this bad seriously.

Sammon was indeed awful, but so were seven others.

Just three players performed up to any acceptable level today - Hendrick, Brayford and Legzdins. The rest I wouldn't pay in washers. Sammon I wouldn't pay in maggots.

Its been said multiple times. Sammon isn't awful. But he's not that good, he needs a partner. Already said square pegs in round holes. Clough needs to realise player play best in their natural position. 451 isn't working if no one is there to support sammon. Ward may have had permission to roam but he didn't leave that touchline a lot. The worst thing sammon has against him is his price tag and thae fact savies left just before (?) He arrived.

I'm surprised a manager like Roberto Martinez signed him.

at least Roberto was man enough to drop Sammon to the bench for most of his tenure, and not be afraid to admit a mistake in front of the owners.

If he did pay £1.2 million, which I doubt, would you trust him with another million quid investment?

I bloody wouldn't, stubborn man.

Just out of interest what do you think he should be doing when receiving the ball 30 yards out with his back to goal and without a team mate within 30 yards of him?

I certainly think his control needs working on but most of the time he is fighting a losing battle.

One thing i noticed yesterday. The balls passed into sammon were rubbish. A good ball to a forward wouldn't need good control. I think people need to look at the poor balls / service he receives before shouting about how poor he is.

Problem in attack for me yesterday was that we got the ball into some decent areas and only Sammon was in the box, Ward hid for most of the game and the midfield didn't gamble enough to pick up on the scraps.

Get Theo or Jacobs back in the side and play them close to Sammon. He's not a fantastic player but he puts himself about, causes mistakes and can bring others into play if given half decent service. You could still play Ward on the left and give Hughes a rest.

Shocking performance today from the lads, 4-4-2 started ok but as has been said he drifted today and bris came in and oh hey, its our old friend the 4-5-1. Drop hughes, and get a striker on. Know robo was out today but we do have alternatives... Where is tyson? if hes injured or loaned forgive me (have not been keeping up-to-date much over christmas) but hes not a bad striker give him a chance. Maybe when robo's back start him and sammon then bring on tyson 60-70 mins? as I know he cant last 90 minutes.

Just got a half season ticket. Have I made a bad mistake? Hope Not.

Also Roger Davies on RD summed it up today for me "Their 2 strikers and Danny Graham's wages equal our entire team's wages" We were probably gonna lose today but not this bad seriously.

***** name.

Haven't three of his goals been offside?

By definition none of them have been.

Ok, how do you know his wages are at least twice as much...and even if they were, why spend 1.2 mill on a player who is not a proven goal scorer, just because his wages are low (ish). id rather buy a league 1/2 striker.

How do you know that we spent £1.2 mil?

People seem to forget that there are different types of players. Most think little more about strikers than goals. Sammon can score goals, but he's never going to be a 20 goal a season player. He's the kind of striker who does a job up front, works hard, brings others into play and unsettles the opposition defence. As such he's more useful when he has supporting players. In a case where he's on his own up front, and the midfield aren't helping him out, he's going to look hopeless, because he can't do his job if there's no one else to bring into play. He's not going to bring the ball down, turn, beat 3 players and slot it on home, he's trying to control the ball, and pick out a team mate, before moving into another position, if that team mate doesn't appear, he's not the kind of player to go on from there.

4-4-1-1

Midfield _ Jacobs - Bryson - Hendrick - Ward

Attacking Midfield (centre)_ Hughes

Striker_Sammon or Theo

Playing Theo up front would be the worst possible thing we could do. He offers nothing but goals and the rawest of raw pace. That's useful in and of itself, but not as a loan front man.

By definition none of them have been.

How do you know that we spent £1.2 mil?

People seem to forget that there are different types of players. Most think little more about strikers than goals. Sammon can score goals, but he's never going to be a 20 goal a season player. He's the kind of striker who does a job up front, works hard, brings others into play and unsettles the opposition defence. As such he's more useful when he has supporting players. In a case where he's on his own up front, and the midfield aren't helping him out, he's going to look hopeless, because he can't do his job if there's no one else to bring into play. He's not going to bring the ball down, turn, beat 3 players and slot it on home, he's trying to control the ball, and pick out a team mate, before moving into another position, if that team mate doesn't appear, he's not the kind of player to go on from there.

Playing Theo up front would be the worst possible thing we could do. He offers nothing but goals and the rawest of raw pace. That's useful in and of itself, but not as a loan front man.

Does it mean that Clough is plain stupid cos he likes to play him as a lone striker?

An above average back-to-goal striker surrounded by average players being played out of position by an average manager... unsurprisingly he's not set the league on fire.

If Sammon had decent support he'd be a good target man in this division. Shame we're just three attacking midfielders and a tactically assured manager short 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/rolleyes' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':rolleyes:' />

Does it mean that Clough is plain stupid cos he likes to play him as a lone striker?

No, we seem to lack a bit of attacking drive from midfield in recent weeks. I also think it's more of a forced issue as Theo is not a useful striker in a team sense. As it stands Ward and Sammon are probably our best front partnership, but ultimately when the team isn't playing particularly well behind him, Sammon isn't going to look particularly good. Sadly the media figure of £1.2 mil draws considerably more attention than it really should, so people are going to get on his back after a poor performance.

With Hughes playing as an attacking midfielder behind him, playing the ball in behind defenders?

With Hughes playing as an attacking midfielder behind him, playing the ball in behind defenders?

Theo can't bring others into play as well as Sammon can, and the midfield would be considerably less effective. It would basically be a waste of possession. Theo is also more effective when we are creating chances, something that he wouldn't help by being up front on his own. Think Leicester away last season.

Archived