Kevin-Prince Boateng leads team off pitch in protest at racist chanting

Day

A friendly match featuring AC Milan and Pro Patria was brought to an abrupt end on Thursday afternoon when Kevin-Prince Boateng kicked the ball angrily towards a section of the crowd who had been racially abusing him and then later left the field along with the rest of his team in protest.

Milan's match against fourth-tier side Pro Patria was abandoned when Boateng, in possession on the left wing in the 26th minute, suddenly picked the ball up and smashed it towards the stand behind him.

The Ghana midfielder then tore off his shirt and walked off the field at the opposite end. On his way, he applauded other sections of the crowd, who then appeared to react angrily towards the corner of the ground from which the chants came.

Pro Patria's Dario Alberto Polverini attempted to talk to Boateng as he departed, but the midfielder carried on walking and the rest of the players and officials followed him off the pitch.

It was quickly established that play would not restart. Milan's official website, acmilan.com, was running a text commentary on the game, the headline on which was changed to read "Pro Patria-Milan suspended definitively".

The entry for the 26th minute read: "AC Milan leaves the pitch after racist abuse by a minority of Pro Patria fans at Boateng, (Mbaye) Niang, (Urby) Emanuelson and (Sulley) Muntari. The rest of the fans in the stands disassociated themselves from such racist events."

Milan coach Massimiliano Allegri told reporters: "We are disappointed and saddened by what has happened.

"Milan play for the right to respect all players. We need to stop these uncivilised gestures.

"We are sorry for all the other fans who came here for a beautiful day of sport. We promise to return, and we are sorry for the club and players of Pro Patria, but we could not make any other decision.

"I hope it can be an important signal."

The match was goalless at the time, with Muntari having had a goal disallowed for offside.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSbQTmbdFsA

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/sportvideo/9778415/AC-Milans-Kevin-Prince-Boateng-leads-team-off-pitch-in-protest-at-racist-chanting-in-friendly-match-with-Pro-Patria.html

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Whilst I agree with what he did, I'd rather the perpetrators be removed rather than the football game as it's unfair on others. Having said that, if it's not possible to locate and remove the racists, then by all means this is the right thing to do. Well done KPB.

Well if I was one of the other fans who had paid to go and watch the match I would be almightily p***ed off!

Why? This racism in football is FAR bigger than you alone. Respect to the fella.

Only issue I have with the ' all players should do this' under extreme provocation is that there would be idiots in certain games willing to chant distasteful abuse just to get a game abandoned if their team was losing!!

Racism in football is not a major problem in my personal opinion.

Where do we draw the line? Can players start walking off if the fans are calling them fat? Can the referee walk off if the fans start calling him a w**ker?

Racism in football is not a major problem in my personal opinion.

Where do we draw the line? Can players start walking off if the fans are calling them fat? Can the referee walk off if the fans start calling him a w**ker?

There are places where racism is rife, and there are places where racism is still a major problem even if it is not rife.

The first black player I can ever remember seeing in this country was Albert Johanneson of Leeds, and pretty well everywhere he went the monkey chants followed. The treatment Derby fans handed out to Cyrille Regis still makes me feel ashamed when I think back on it - same with the way that Viv Anderson of Forest was treated.

It's not gone from the game - and it's not completely gone from Pride Park either. I would have no hesitation in reporting anyone to the stewards for either racist or homophobic chanting - as far as being fat, ginger or having freckles is concerned, **** that for a game of soldiers. If you can't tell the difference, you must be a fat freckled ginger and all I can offer is my sympathy.

There are places where racism is rife, and there are places where racism is still a major problem even if it is not rife.

The first black player I can ever remember seeing in this country was Albert Johanneson of Leeds, and pretty well everywhere he went the monkey chants followed. The treatment Derby fans handed out to Cyrille Regis still makes me feel ashamed when I think back on it - same with the way that Viv Anderson of Forest was treated.

It's not gone from the game - and it's not completely gone from Pride Park either. I would have no hesitation in reporting anyone to the stewards for either racist or homophobic chanting - as far as being fat, ginger or having freckles is concerned, **** that for a game of soldiers. If you can't tell the difference, you must be a fat freckled ginger and all I can offer is my sympathy.

I am neither, and if I was I would take them sort of insults and laugh them off, and I'm sure there would not be A Society Of Fat Freckled Ginger Lawyers article in the news every day saying how bad the treatment I was receiving is.

I think it gets blown out of proportion most of the time, knob-ends like Darren Byfield and Stan Collymore still act like they're working the fields, does my ******* head in.

In this instance he did the right thing, in my opinion - can't believe he plays for AC milan though, saw him at Spurs and Pompey and thought he was absolutely tripe, seems to be okay now.

Archived