You don't know what you're doing!

Day

Huddersfield manager Simon Grayson says referee Mick Russell's failure to send off the Sheffield Wednesday player he booked twice is "staggering".

Russell showed midfielder Jeremy Helan a second yellow card in the 26th minute of the 0-0 draw between the sides but did not produce a red card.

Grayson said: "Something quite simple like that shouldn't be happening in Championship football.

"He's not done it deliberately, but you can't make major mistakes like that."

Russell booked 20-year-old Helan for a foul on Huddersfield winger Adam Hammill, but the Hertfordshire official did not realise he had already booked the Frenchman for diving in the penalty area in the ninth minute.

Grayson said that the referee apologised for his error at the end of the match.

"I think he's probably written the wrong number down in his book, which is staggering.

"I also think he should have been helped by his officials.

"I'm not going to say Wednesday going down to 10 men would have guaranteed us winning the game, but it would have certainly helped us."

Former Football League official Tony Leake told the Press Association a replay of the fixture was not out of the question if Huddersfield made a complaint.

But Grayson was unsure about this possibility, saying he would be "very surprised".

Wednesday boss Dave Jones was adamant that Helan, who is on loan from Manchester City, should not have received his first booking for diving in the ninth minute.

Jones said: "I don't know about the first booking. It was a penalty. That's the controversy.

"Helan has been clipped and he's not the type of lad to dive. I think we should have won the game. That's what I'm perplexed about."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/20866989

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived