Players that Derby "almost signed" that turned out to be good.

North_Stand_Ram

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yakubu (under John Gregory?) is the one that sticks out in my mind, probably because there was a lot of media talk about him at the time. Couldnt get work permit whilst on trial here, later signed for Portsmouth and was unplayable whilst there.

Dont think he was ever consistent enough in premiership to be 'big' i suppose...

It kinda depends on what the definition of big is, theres the like of Kenwyne Jones and David Nugent who we were linked with who may have looked premiership class for a short time but have never kicked on with their careers. Struggling to think of anyone who really went on to a top club.

Yakubu (under John Gregory?) is the one that sticks out in my mind, probably because there was a lot of media talk about him at the time. Couldnt get work permit whilst on trial here, later signed for Portsmouth and was unplayable whilst there.

Dont think he was ever consistent enough in premiership to be 'big' i suppose...

It kinda depends on what the definition of big is, theres the like of Kenwyne Jones and David Nugent who we were linked with who may have looked premiership class for a short time but have never kicked on with their careers. Struggling to think of anyone who really went on to a top club.

Ok, lets change the word "good" to well known players haha

Hooper would have been good, we did bid for him but scunny rejected it.

Hey I have an idea! If we re-mortgaged Pride Pro thats what like 22 million? We could be Wilfred Zaha, that's is asking price ad he is the third best player in the world behind Ronaldo and Messi

Biggest Miss... Gary Hooper !!!

We needed 1.6 million and we didn't cough up. Then a month later he signed for celtic when they hadn't made a formal approach when we did.

To be fair we werent to know how good he was going to be but i am in no doubt we would have made the playoffs the season after or better. He would have been like a rickie lambert scoring a riduclous amount of goals.

Now you would be asking for double figure (millions) for him i.e. liverpool. We missed out big time.

I think I missed something, is Gary Hooper a footballer?

Biggest Miss... Gary Hooper !!!

We needed 1.6 million and we didn't cough up. Then a month later he signed for celtic when they hadn't made a formal approach when we did.

To be fair we werent to know how good he was going to be but i am in no doubt we would have made the playoffs the season after or better. He would have been like a rickie lambert scoring a riduclous amount of goals.

Now you would be asking for double figure (millions) for him i.e. liverpool. We missed out big time.

Did we not go for Austin who is at Burnley now???? also who was the famous Argentine guy, think it was Esteben and he even trained with us and could not get a work permit or sonething, but not too sure with this story TBH. and of course Baggio, I heard we were so close to signing him, but we would not pay him the money he wanted so deal was off.

Did we not go for Austin who is at Burnley now???? also who was the famous Argentine guy, think it was Esteben and he even trained with us and could not get a work permit or sonething, but not too sure with this story TBH. and of course Baggio, I heard we were so close to signing him, but we would not pay him the money he wanted so deal was off.

Do you mean Esteban Fuertes?

We paid £2.3m for him in 1999 and he made 8 appearances. He was granted a work permit due to his Italian passport. One evening the team were returning through costoms (not sure where they'd been) and it was noticed that his Italian passport was a fake. He was deported and his work permit revoked. Fortunately he looked half decent and we got our money back by selling him to to Lens. It could only happen to Derby County!

Archived