Mark Burton: "Brian Clough would be turning in his grave" at Derby style of play

CumbrianRam

Well football in England has survived on it for over 100 years so not everyone finds it boring.

Give me direct attacking football over tippy tappy boredom any day of the week.

Why waste 50 touches getting the ball to where you can get it in 1?

And don't forget, Barca are the best team in history IN YOUR OPINION.

I dont mind people having this attitude, but people who do can never, ever moan about England being ****.

If you dont want the English game to be about passing football, fair enough, but passing football is gunna beat the English style a large percentage of the time.

The style you're supporting might be entertaining to you, but it's never gunna be the best or most effective.

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If the footballs so good in those other countries why don't you p1ss off to one of them??? You certainly don't like it in this one. Everyone on here, bar Sideshow, say we've been playing some decent stuff this season so they can't all be deluded can they. And if your only going to change your stance once we're playing to the level of Barcelona who's being delusional now???

Erm.. I live in one of them already.. Football in England can be entertaining, but only at the top level.. I've seen Wigan, Swansea and Fulham a few times this season and find them entertaining..

And we have been playing some decent stuff this season (in comparison), we've managed to string 5 passes together (be it along the backline) which is certainly 3 more than we have been doing for the past 4 years..

Also don't be ridiculous.. How can I expect a midtable nothing club like Derby to play football like the best team in history? When amazing clubs like Atletico, Valencia, Bayern, Arsenal etc. won't reach that level..

I just want Derby to promote technical ability, play the ball out from the back, play the ball on the deck and be full of movement.. If the likes of Brighton can attempt this then it isn't beyond the realms of reality for Derby to do so.. We did it before under George Burley... (And budgets can't be used as an excuse because he spent a pittance of what NC has).. It will never happen though at Derby, especially under this management, so I just have to get used to the average football or hope that someone takes over DCFC and sacks our average management team..

Erm.. I live in one of them already.. Football in England can be entertaining, but only at the top level.. I've seen Wigan, Swansea and Fulham a few times this season and find them entertaining..

And we have been playing some decent stuff this season (in comparison), we've managed to string 5 passes together (be it along the backline) which is certainly 3 more than we have been doing for the past 4 years..

Also don't be ridiculous.. How can I expect a midtable nothing club like Derby to play football like the best team in history? When amazing clubs like Atletico, Valencia, Bayern, Arsenal etc. won't reach that level..

I just want Derby to promote technical ability, play the ball out from the back, play the ball on the deck and be full of movement.. If the likes of Brighton can attempt this then it isn't beyond the realms of reality for Derby to do so.. We did it before under George Burley... (And budgets can't be used as an excuse because he spent a pittance of what NC has).. It will never happen though at Derby, especially under this management, so I just have to get used to the average football or hope that someone takes over DCFC and sacks our average management team..

Bris nobody minds about how you think we should play. It's the little digs you make about the players, manager, club and league that piss everyone off. Your pretty much insulting the club that everyone on here loves. If you stop flagging the club off less people will get annoyed by your posts

Same for sideshowbob

Sorry Bris you do talk some cr@p sometimes.

Ive just watched us score another 3 goals at Pride Park.

None resulted from "hoofball" one a gerat run and shot from Jacobs another a great apoassing movement. Hiughes doesnt play hoofball and we havent done much of that this season.

Final ball still needs improvement, but hey this is the Championship and i dont think we play any lower quality of football than any other NPC teams , including Barnsley.

Mr Burton?? I ve forgotten hs name already should stop talking such cr@p. Cloughie senior wil know that Cloughie junior still has a long way to go, but turning in his grave??? F()ck off.

Sorry Bris you do talk some cr@p sometimes.

Ive just watched us score another 3 goals at Pride Park.

None resulted from "hoofball" one a gerat run and shot from Jacobs another a great apoassing movement. Hiughes doesnt play hoofball and we havent done much of that this season.

Final ball still needs improvement, but hey this is the Championship and i dont think we play any lower quality of football than any other NPC teams , including Barnsley.

Mr Burton?? I ve forgotten hs name already should stop talking such cr@p. Cloughie senior wil know that Cloughie junior still has a long way to go, but turning in his grave??? F()ck off.

You've just seen an average display with plenty of hoofing against an awful Brum side that has conceded a hatful this season as proof..

Hughes doesn't play hoofball? I saw him hoof it quite a few times actually, but as a rule of thumb, I don't think you'd find many CMs in the NPC that just hoof it when they get it.. The hoofing comes from the inability to play the ball from the back and through the midfield.. Even in Stokes side, the most hoofball team in England, the likes of Glenn Whelan and Charlie Adam don't recieve the ball to hoof it.. They might not have much quality in passing it around, but most of the time they retain possession to give it back to the defenders to hoof it again.. I saw plenty of that today..

We haven't done much hoofing this season? Really.. A few passes along the backline before a long punt forward isn't passing the ball.. Of course we don't hoof it in the final 3rd, that's where you can see the passing along the floor for the 3rd goal.. But to get from the first 3rd to the final 3rd we hoof it.. Rarely do we play it through the midfield.. Percentages is what Cloughs all about.. It looks ugly and it rarely brings success.. But NC will continue with it until the fans finally have enough of watching averge displays year in year out.

In the style of Colombo " and remind me bris !! Just when was the last time you came to pride park and watched our mid table nothing club play" did you watch it today ?

We are playing some great football now with a team of lads who may not have that much talent as they were bought on a tight budget but they are willing to try and to learn how to play football by passing it on the ground, things are changing slowly but for the better, stop being such a neg !!

I think our second goal is a good example of a long pass rather than a hoof.

The ball falls to Roberts I believe, Sammon points to his left where Bucko is, Roberts hits the ball long aimed at that far side where Bucko is, Bucko wins it - heads it towards Sammon and Sammon does the biz. Nice to see us mix it up, I don't mind that at all.

What I do mind is hopeless, clueless, waste of possession punts to no one. Thats a hoof for me!

You've just seen an average display with plenty of hoofing against an awful Brum side that has conceded a hatful this season as proof..

Hughes doesn't play hoofball? I saw him hoof it quite a few times actually, but as a rule of thumb, I don't think you'd find many CMs in the NPC that just hoof it when they get it.. The hoofing comes from the inability to play the ball from the back and through the midfield.. Even in Stokes side, the most hoofball team in England, the likes of Glenn Whelan and Charlie Adam don't recieve the ball to hoof it.. They might not have much quality in passing it around, but most of the time they retain possession to give it back to the defenders to hoof it again.. I saw plenty of that today..

We haven't done much hoofing this season? Really.. A few passes along the backline before a long punt forward isn't passing the ball.. Of course we don't hoof it in the final 3rd, that's where you can see the passing along the floor for the 3rd goal.. But to get from the first 3rd to the final 3rd we hoof it.. Rarely do we play it through the midfield.. Percentages is what Cloughs all about.. It looks ugly and it rarely brings success.. But NC will continue with it until the fans finally have enough of watching averge displays year in year out.

If you don't like it, don't f**king watch it!!! Nobody has got your arm up your back you miserable sod. Stick with drooling over Barca all the time.

You live abroad??? Well good for you, just a shame you can still bore us all from so manyiles away. It just goes to show that despite allowing you to do all your Xmas shopping at home and all the free the Internet isn't all good...

I dont mind people having this attitude, but people who do can never, ever moan about England being ****.

If you dont want the English game to be about passing football, fair enough, but passing football is gunna beat the English style a large percentage of the time.

The style you're supporting might be entertaining to you, but it's never gunna be the best or most effective.

Disagree with this. The reason England are so poor is because they try and play a European style that none of the players are comfortable with.

Did you not find today exciting?

Disagree with this. The reason England are so poor is because they try and play a European style that none of the players are comfortable with.

England played a traditonal English style in 2010 WC and came way short, the players of England are not good enough.

They dont try and play a European in the slightest, if you think this then you cant understand what a European/passing style is. When has Roy Hodgson ever managed a side that played possession football.

Every game at the Euro's we were bossed in terms of possession, even Ukraine dominated us in possession.

In regards to this whole thread i dont think people understand the difference in styles of play. Bris isnt saying we play hoof ball, he's saying we play percentage football, they're very different things. It's like last year when people were comparing Swansea with Arsenal, they both played a different brand of football.

They dont try and play a European in the slightest, if you think this then you cant understand what a European/passing style is. When has Roy Hodgson ever managed a side that played possession football.

Every game at the Euro's we were bossed in terms of possession, even Ukraine dominated us in possession.

In regards to this whole thread i dont think people understand the difference in styles of play. Bris isnt saying we play hoof ball, he's saying we play percentage football, they're very different things. It's like last year when people were comparing Swansea with Arsenal, they both played a different brand of football.

That is exactly what he is saying.

No he didn't, he makes the majority of his posts for a reaction, anyone who is a derby fan would have enjoyed today's game, English football is not just about passing or hoofing, it's the passion and excitement no other league can match.

Of course you do have the odd person who claims to be a supporter, yet instead of enjoying the game has time to count the number of passes at a certain point of the game, who gives a monkeys when you win, it makes sitting in the cold and rain worth while.

I'm not cloughs biggest fan, but when they win I don't care how they do it, I just enjoy the moment. If I want to see a football match with lots if passing I will go and get one of those groupon offers, yup the greatest team ever can't even sell all their seats, shows what there own fans think of that brand of football.

Archived