Technology fans (Daveo...) - which is the better buy Nexus 7 or Galaxy tab 2?

Ram@Lincoln

I'm looking at buying a tablet for entirely work reasons (ok...playing on the long train journeys I do!). I'm not very technology savvy so thought it would be best to ask you lot on here your opinions.

The Carphone Warehouse are currently selling the Galaxy tab 2 (8gb expandable, wifi) for £149, Samsung are offering £30 cashback so the price comes down to £119. The Nexus 7 (16gb, non expandable) is available for around the £160/170 mark. Without knowing too much about the technicals of either tablet I have no idea about which to buy, all I know is that I'd like one.

I'll be using it for browsing the internet, watching movies (when I learn how to put them on it!) and general playing around on it.

So...are there any technology fans out there willing to lend their opinions?

Thanks.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm in the same boat as you & have been looking at the Nexus & Kindle Fire HD.

The Kindle is edging it for me because it has better sound & HDMI output, so you can connect it to a TV but I'm told it comes with Amazon adverts - which can be annoying.

I'm looking to replace a dying laptop with a tablet & will mainly be used for internet, email and general messing around, though would be good to stream movies to my TV as well.

I'm in the same boat as you & have been looking at the Nexus & Kindle Fire HD.

The Kindle is edging it for me because it has better sound & HDMI output, so you can connect it to a TV but I'm told it comes with Amazon adverts - which can be annoying.

I'm looking to replace a dying laptop with a tablet & will mainly be used for internet, email and general messing around, though would be good to stream movies to my TV as well.

Thanks, I'll have to have a look at that one. Haven't heard much about it but if its better than I'm obviously interested.

Daveo will say ipad as he is apple mad. Samsung are very good. Not sure on the nexus. If you go for a samsung i know of a good and easy way to put movies on it and will pm you if you want.

Thanks again, a iPad would be ideal but the missus has given me a strict budget of £150, obviously a tenner here over or so wont harm relations to much. She's buying some handbag for £300+, crazy stuff when a carrier bag does the same thing!

I'm leaning towards the Samsung one, purely because its white. I don't like the Nexus 7 colour that much. The screen quality isn't too big of a deal, I've read a review that says that you can only tell the difference if you've been using the Nexus 7 for a long time then swap onto the Samsung one.

Will a dual core processor be good enough for general use or will I need the quad core processor? Similar question with the other thing, ice cream sandwich or jelly beans? (Boycie I'm not onto about food here!!! 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/tongue' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':P' />) I have no idea about any of them!!!!

Thanks, I'll have to have a look at that one. Haven't heard much about it but if its better than I'm obviously interested.

Thanks again, a iPad would be ideal but the missus has given me a strict budget of £150, obviously a tenner here over or so wont harm relations to much. She's buying some handbag for £300+, crazy stuff when a carrier bag does the same thing!

I'm leaning towards the Samsung one, purely because its white. I don't like the Nexus 7 colour that much. The screen quality isn't too big of a deal, I've read a review that says that you can only tell the difference if you've been using the Nexus 7 for a long time then swap onto the Samsung one.

Will a dual core processor be good enough for general use or will I need the quad core processor? Similar question with the other thing, ice cream sandwich or jelly beans? (Boycie I'm not onto about food here!!! 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/tongue' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':P' />) I have no idea about any of them!!!!

Honestly, I dont know much about the techy side. But, from past experience on other devices, you won't kniw the difference unless you go from 1 to the other.

Go for the one you prefer visually and price wise, both will be more than fine at browsing the Internet, watching films and playing games.

Performance wise one might load a website a second quicker but nothing you would notice unless you're a full on nerd with a stopwatch wanting the fastest chip outside NASA.

The nerds are complaining about the iPad Mini screen at the moment for example, it's the same screen as a iPad 2 which I've got and the screen looks bloody perfect to me.

Go for the one you prefer visually and price wise, both will be more than fine at browsing the Internet, watching films and playing games.

Performance wise one might load a website a second quicker but nothing you would notice unless you're a full on nerd with a stopwatch wanting the fastest chip outside NASA.

The nerds are complaining about the iPad Mini screen at the moment for example, it's the same screen as a iPad 2 which I've got and the screen looks bloody perfect to me.

Thanks for your input Daveo. I went to look in the shop yesterday and found 7" to be tiny compared to the 10" ones. But then they are twice the price.

I'm probably going to go ahead with the purchase anyway and see what its like. If I'm not liking it, eBay to recoup the majority of it. 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

• 2 weeks later...

I'm buying an ipad mini.

I thought the screen size and resolution was ok and looks good value when compared with second hand ipads which are still £200 on ebay.

P.s. i know bugger all about anything.

It's actually slightly better than the 2 gen iPad, but quite a bit behind the latest ones and slightly behind other 7" I believe, or so I was told, but I have the lower spec and its fine to my eyes.

I would always spend that bit extra on apple, but only because I have one.

Archived