Ian Holloway

Day

Blackpool boss Ian Holloway has accepted an offer from Crystal Palace to become the club's new manager.

The 49-year-old is believed to have signed a four-and-a-half-year deal at Selhurst Park.

He will take charge of Palace with the London club currently fourth in the Championship, six points above 12th-placed Blackpool.

Assistant boss Steve Thompson will be in charge for the Seasiders' game with Derby County on Saturday.

Holloway leaves Blackpool after over three years in charge, winning promotion to the Premier League via the play-offs in May 2010 although they were relegated the following season.

And Blackpool chairman Karl Oyston holds no resentment towards Holloway regarding the decision to leave.

"I wish Ian all the best in his new role," Oyston told BBC Radio Lancashire.

"He has done a fantastic job for us during his time here and will be remembered as the most successful manager in the club's history.

"Things happen in football very quickly, as in this case, so I am not shocked by his decision. It suits him to be nearer his family and I am sure he will enjoy the new challenge he has set himself.

"There is no animosity, he goes with my best wishes having served our club so well and the success he brought to the club during his three years here.

"Steve Thompson will take charge of the team at Derby this afternoon. I will then be making an appointment as soon as possible."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/mobile/football/20176036

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Blackpool are a good team, in a bit of a bad spot, but it doesn't mean todays game is going to be easy, they'll come out fighting.

I still reckon todays match will end in a draw.

Blackpool are a good team, in a bit of a bad spot, but it doesn't mean todays game is going to be easy, they'll come out fighting.

I still reckon todays match will end in a draw.

or could have the opposite effect, he took training yesterday, 24 hours later he has gone. May badly effect the players

or could have the opposite effect, he took training yesterday, 24 hours later he has gone. May badly effect the players

Yep, good point well made Huckers. It depends on 2 things I s'pose. If Thompson can get them motivated, and if the team have a good captain and mates who they want to play for.

Wouldn't say no to the 3 points of course if they are carp, but I don't think that's going to happen.

I think its an incredibly bad decision personally, blackpool are the more financially secure and viable team with the better players, palace in a similar boat to us in a good run of form, it'd be like if we lost clough and then got holloway during that run early last season which saw us top!

Very odd decision based on the past month of football, we'll have to wait and see how this one turns out! Hope we can take advantage..

I think its an incredibly bad decision personally, blackpool are the more financially secure and viable team with the better players, palace in a similar boat to us in a good run of form, it'd be like if we lost clough and then got holloway during that run early last season which saw us top!

Very odd decision based on the past month of football, we'll have to wait and see how this one turns out! Hope we can take advantage..

But they don't spend money - like us.

They Got Adam cheap, went up through loans etc... It's hard enough to do it once let alone twice with minimal budget.

Archived