Connor Sammon Success or Failure?

upinsideyouhead

Connor Sammon Success or Failure?  

93 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Based on our 2 goals at Ipswich light blue wig makes good points. First goal he got the ball to feet, turned and shot from the edge of the box. Second goal he played a 1-2 with Bryson and squared for Tyson. Good play Mr Sammon!

• Replies 394
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Based on our 2 goals at Ipswich light blue wig makes good points. First goal he got the ball to feet, turned and shot from the edge of the box. Second goal he played a 1-2 with Bryson and squared for Tyson. Good play Mr Sammon!

it does worry me when they know more than some of our own. 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />

Hi guys

Kilmarnock fan here.

Connor was with us straight out of Irish league. I'm not sure of his scoring record there but with us he didnt score a lot of goals until the half season prior to his transfer to Wigan. He started in our first team under the worst manager UK football has produced - Jurrasic Jim Jeffries. He had him stuck out on the wing, left midfield. He stood around waiting for the ball not a clue what to do. When JJJ got bagged. Mixu Patalinan joined Killie as manager and played Connor as a lone main striker and Mixu also brought a brilliant to watch passing game to the club. He fined players for hoofing the ball forward. Connor Sammon thrived on his coaching. I'm not sure how you guys play but if the ball is getting pumped forward all day Connor will be rubbish .... if youre a passing team then he will either take and shield then play players in or his movement will mistify defenders. He's strong and fast and will score goals galore if he is fed through channels. Pumping the ball up and expecting him to hold it up he can do but is less effective and he is not a poaching type player either.

Only one thing to say to your midfielders Feed the fish, Feed the fish, Feed the fish and he will score.... Feed the fish and he - will - score....

Really interesting post and a great thread. Just read it all for the first time while obviously knowing what he did vs Ipswich. Makes some of the people who werew writing him off look even more foolish.

Really interesting post and a great thread. Just read it all for the first time while obviously knowing what he did vs Ipswich. Makes some of the people who werew writing him off look even more foolish.

One swallow does not a summer make.

I have seen far too many poor CF at Derby and he is one of the worst. Richie Barker and coach Garner weren't brilliant but they at least knew where the goal was.

O'hare, Toshak and even Kuqi are good examples of what Sammon's fans claim his strength is yet they also weighed in with goals of their own which Sammon doesn't.

Sorry I just don't rate him, we have had 1 fan from 1 of his previous clubs praising him, coincidently that club saw his only decent season in the senior game to date. Look at his stats, hardly ever plays a full season as a starter (did once) and his goal tally for a CF is abysmal even in the Scottish pub league.

1 good game in every 10 isn't good enough.

Tbh, somehow Mixu Paatelainen can make players fulfill their potential. So it's not so big suprise that Sammon and Bryson got their games to much better level too. It's different thing can they hold on to it with different management. Bryson has shown that he can, Sammon is still more or less question mark.

I have seen far too many poor CF at Derby and he is one of the worst. Richie Barker and coach Garner weren't brilliant but they at least knew where the goal was.

O'hare, Toshak and even Kuqi are good examples of what Sammon's fans claim his strength is yet they also weighed in with goals of their own which Sammon doesn't.

Sorry I just don't rate him, we have had 1 fan from 1 of his previous clubs praising him, coincidently that club saw his only decent season in the senior game to date. Look at his stats, hardly ever plays a full season as a starter (did once) and his goal tally for a CF is abysmal even in the Scottish pub league.

"I have seen far too many poor CF at Derby and he is one of the worst." Yeah right.

So you think that Conor Sammon is a worse player than Bobby Cambell, Wayne Biggins, Mikkel Beck, Stern John and Danny Dichio do you ?.

If you're old enough to have seen "many" poor CFs at Derby, then you should be old enough, wise enough and experienced enough to know that you shouldn't write off a player at this stage.

If you're old enough to have seen "many" poor CFs at Derby, then you should be old enough, wise enough and experienced enough to know that you shouldn't write off a player at this stage.

It works the other way too it seems.

I was loving our loan of Tamas Priskin.

"He's class"

"He tortured Djourou in League Cup"

"There's no such thing as buying a 20 goal striker at our level. You find potential and if the team provides the opportunities, then he becomes "A 20 goal per season man""

Cheers Priskin. No, no, thank YOU Mr Priskin.

Warrasausage

Shefki Kuqi wasn't brought to the club as a prolific goalscorer, yet how many fans were gutted to see him go?

For me, Sammon offers a similar roll to the team - his workrate brings other people into the game. Would we be seeing our midfield have such an impact on games if we had Theo and Tyson starting games up front? Sammon to me is better with his back to goal, bringing those around him (in particular Jamie Ward) into the game. I'd rather have a striker who may only get 10 goals a season but create 20 for the team rather than a Rob Hulse style striker who may bag 15-20, but will create very few for anyone else.

I’ve not been impressed by him either. Not like I was by Kuqi.

Against a decent defense last Saturday he was useless. Not sure it was possible for him to breathe he was so deep in their pockets. A few days later against a struggling bottom of the table team he did pretty well (I’m told). So thankfully he’s not completely useless.

At present the problem could be his fitness, his lack of games over the past year, the team needing to get to know him and a new style of play - and vice versa. Or it could be that he’s just not very good and Clough got this one wrong. Who knows.

Given we’re limited to gambling on combinations of the (relatively) cheap, the unknown, the Scottish, the youth team, some OAPs, and players prone to injury I think Clough’s doing a very good job. So I’ll trust his judgment and hope Sammon is a bit like Roberts. Not great at first but impressive when finally fit and bedded in.

Tbh, somehow Mixu Paatelainen can make players fulfill their potential. So it's not so big suprise that Sammon and Bryson got their games to much better level too. It's different thing can they hold on to it with different management. Bryson has shown that he can, Sammon is still more or less question mark.

Bryson was out captain at the theatre of pies. he was excellent particularly in his last 2 seasons. No disrespect but he is probably worthy of a bigger stage and how that numbnut Levin continues to overlook him is a mistery. I liked "Fish" because he grafted not stop and movement off the ball was great. £1.2m???? I think English footballs valuations are inflated because the TV and sponsership money drive that value up. He left us for less than half that and did nothing near to doubling his value.

Glad he did though cos we got weighed in from the sell on clause. Good luck guys. I watch out for you on TV tonight

Meh, done nothing to excite me as yet, but he's better than what we had so it's an improvement. + Holds the ball well (Sometimes) and brings others into play. Which we haven't really had in a good few years.

Need a proper goal scorer though, because he's not it.

Better than Steve Davies? 6 goals in 6 games

Archived