Connor Sammon Success or Failure?

upinsideyouhead

Connor Sammon Success or Failure?  

93 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 394
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think he'll prove himself to be worth that sort of fee. He's not had an amazing start to the season but he's been far from awful so far. Plenty of time for him to prove himself yet.

Baldocks a good shout, wages are the main thing though as you say Alex. He's also very similar to Theo though, got to have options upfront, we'd have no height bar Tyson.

We needed a striker in Sammons mould, whether he's the man for it we're yet to see but I wouldn't write him off yet.

Not a fan of Madine, struggling to get into relegation placed Wednesday too.

It's a shame Savies wanted out, he hasn't lost his goalscoring touch it seems.

I might aswell stop posting. Youre doing it for me.

Savies was the best we could do within budget, within fee.

To get a player who scores more, gives more than Savies I think you're looking at Becchio's and Austin's. The fee is then out of our reach.

People harp on about Sammon being a "target man", yet so was Stevie Howard and how many goals did He score in his first season?

Steve Howard had a range of players playing off him.. During his time here he had Lupoli, Ryan Smith, Tommy Smith, Giles Barnes, John Stead, Craig Fagan and occasionally Matt Oakley pushing up to feed off him..

Billy was clever in that he used Howards threat in the air to perfect use by deploying players in or around him that can do something with the ball.. In certain games Barnes, Lupoli and even Stead during his loan period had field days recieving the ball 25 yards from goal just because Howard was able to perfect the job asked of him.. It wasn't pretty, but it sure was effective..

Just like Alex touches on, we currently don't have the players or the formation (midfield is far too flat) to make use of Sammons ability in the air.. Without Wartd buzzing around him you're asking him to control a high ball, bring it down, hold off the defender, wait 5-10 seconds before a midfielder can catch up then lay it off..

Sammon would look far ebtter if he had the players Kuqi and Howard had.. Even Hulse had the likes of Commons, Green and even Teale in close support.. Sammon has a flat midfield in which is literally 4 dictating CMs..

Clough needs to address this or he'll waste Sammon.. Or Clough made a rash error in signing a player that doesn't fit into his intended style.. Just like Porter didn't either..

Just a side note.. I hate playing 4-4-2 and it's such a boring formation.. But if you're going to do it, at least have speedy wingers that can stretch the opposition.. 4-4-2 with 4 CMs is ridiculous and plain and simply unimaginative

It's just becoming apparent to me that Nigel is setting his teams up a little bit like Brian did back in't day. Conor Sammon is our Roger Davies.

How well did he do when he first started playing for us?

Or could he be our mikel beck?

I might aswell stop posting. Youre doing it for me.

Savies was the best we could do within budget, within fee.

To get a player who scores more, gives more than Savies I think you're looking at Becchio's and Austin's. The fee is then out of our reach.

What about Davies from Barnsley?

Trouble with your 1.1m being better spent, is that at the moment sammon is looking like being over valued by about 700k, therefore there is a bigger pool of players that are doing as well.

Will he be worth his transfer fee in the long run, hope so.

Good analysis Bris.

I think Nigel knows what needs to be done in this case. It's how to do it.

Yesterday he saw the 4-4-2 become 4-4-----------------2. He tried Robinson on the wing and it worked a little better. However Sammon was awful, so he wasn't holding the ball beyond a single touch.

I know in interviews Nigel has spoke about getting Bryson forward. About getting Hughes in the middle. About getting Ward in and around Sammon.

But when Sammon plays like that nobody has anything to work off. Bryson has to be wary of leaving runners because Sammon became unreliable, so Bryson gets pinned back further isolating Sammon. Hughes can't help without breaking shape. We began to rely on Brayford, Coutts and Robinsons dribbling to bridge the huge gap.

Somehow Bryson started to get forward. Then Hendrick and Hughes started to find spaces and options.

I think the plan is in place. Just we can't have Sammon playing like that if he's 'the plan'

Howard was hugely reliable to make it stick. Kuqi too. Strong and experienced. All you had to worry about was soft free kicks given against them.

What about Davies from Barnsley?

Trouble with your 1.1m being better spent, is that at the moment sammon is looking like being over valued by about 700k, therefore there is a bigger pool of players that are doing as well.

Will he be worth his transfer fee in the long run, hope so.

Well yes, for £1.1m id like to think we've bought a Davies (a striker you'd expect to see in mid-lower team doing the business) or a potential Austin, Becchio (a striker who is a known handful and a top scorer.

It's a bit over-priced for a Davies type. So I do expect him to take my mind off Steve Davies. I hope he will in time.

It's a bargain for a potential Sharp. He's not looking like a top scorer yet. He's not got teams nervous.

But it's a right waste of cash if he's going to make us all say "Steve Davies was handier".

Only time will tell. A million pounds plus is a lot of money for us. I think the expectation is rightly quite high.

I really like Sammon and think he was an inspired signing, we're holding the ball up top much longer and there isn't a constant wave of attack against our defence like there was before he came - for me his presence structures our side 10 fold!

A constant figure head upfront and keeps himself busy, if you want him to become a goalscorer you change his role completely because at the minute he is the target man, he provides the players round him with balls and chances whereas a goalscorer should play off him, him and Savies would of been a good duo, but one went for the other to come in, different types of player.

Well yes, for £1.1m id like to think we've bought a Davies (a striker you'd expect to see in mid-lower team doing the business) or a potential Austin, Becchio (a striker who is a known handful and a top scorer.

It's a bit over-priced for a Davies type. So I do expect him to take my mind off Steve Davies. I hope he will in time.

It's a bargain for a potential Sharp. He's not looking like a top scorer yet. He's not got teams nervous.

But it's a right waste of cash if he's going to make us all say "Steve Davies was handier".

Only time will tell. A million pounds plus is a lot of money for us. I think the expectation is rightly quite high.

Indeed.

Sammon is suffering from two things. Being over priced, (he's really only worth 500k) and the being being bought in after NC spent the summer banging on about a goalscorer (which Sammon certainly isn't).

Don't get me wrong I think Sammon is an ok squad player. He works hard and he does have attributes that contribute to the team, however for 400k we could have got a lower league or scottish player to do the same job

A mate a work made a good point about Sammon. We we're talking about this exact subject and he said "no, he's not a 15-20 goal a season striker, but he'll make Ward one. Not a goalscorer at any stretch on the imagination. We'll have to see

This is very good point indeed. Ward, eventhough playing winger, was touted one of our main attacking threats last season.

Wiki says (yeah, I know these are only stats but...):

11-12 39 games 4 goals, two assists. Doesn't sound very good, sounds more like Pearson than attacking threat.

12-13 8 games 4 goals. That's more like it.

And now it starts, Ward's not going score in next 31 games. You can blame me.

Hi guys

Kilmarnock fan here.

Connor was with us straight out of Irish league. I'm not sure of his scoring record there but with us he didnt score a lot of goals until the half season prior to his transfer to Wigan. He started in our first team under the worst manager UK football has produced - Jurrasic Jim Jeffries. He had him stuck out on the wing, left midfield. He stood around waiting for the ball not a clue what to do. When JJJ got bagged. Mixu Patalinan joined Killie as manager and played Connor as a lone main striker and Mixu also brought a brilliant to watch passing game to the club. He fined players for hoofing the ball forward. Connor Sammon thrived on his coaching. I'm not sure how you guys play but if the ball is getting pumped forward all day Connor will be rubbish .... if youre a passing team then he will either take and shield then play players in or his movement will mistify defenders. He's strong and fast and will score goals galore if he is fed through channels. Pumping the ball up and expecting him to hold it up he can do but is less effective and he is not a poaching type player either.

Only one thing to say to your midfielders Feed the fish, Feed the fish, Feed the fish and he will score.... Feed the fish and he - will - score....

Archived