Connor Sammon Success or Failure?

upinsideyouhead

Connor Sammon Success or Failure?  

93 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Cos you can tell whether a player has got a good touch or not after watching them for 5 minutes. Like after watching Theo for 5 minutes you can tell he couldnt control the ball.

Sammon has got useful attributes, but you know already his ability on the ball isnt one of them, which straight away will hold him and the team back.

His touch looked alright when he barged past 2 defenders and scored against Watford.

You may be right, and he might be a total failure. Alot of people seem too keen to come to that conclusion too quickly though.

• Replies 394
  • Created
  • Last Reply

His touch looked alright when he barged past 2 defenders and scored against Watford.

You may be right, and he might be a total failure. Alot of people seem too keen to come to that conclusion too quickly though.

Hardly a great example, his goal against Watford, his first touch flew off his foot definitely where he didnt mean to, but managed to over power the defender and poke it home. Of course a professional footballers are going to show good touches, but players like Sammon, Tyson and Theo have a larger proportion of bad ones.

He could succeed but i cant really see how at the moment, he's a target man with a poor touch and 2 goals in his last 42 appearances. I want him to do well, but at the moment there's not much suggesting he will. Theo might be ****, but at least he's quick and works hard which creates openings for himself which he can occasionally put away.

He's a target man that's designed to bring others into play.. His first touch is vital, if that's poor then it's not a good start..

But target man like him are better suited to having attacking midfielders close to him.. Kuqi succeeded here because he had one of Bueno, Commons or Cywka within 10 meters of him at all times..

What use is Sammon if Bryson, Hendrick, Coutts and Hughes are playing like a flat midfield 25 plus meters away from him and the other forward player is stuck outwide.. Tactically Clough isn't helping Sammon and if his first touch is poor he's going to look like a donkey contributing nothing..

It's true that you can't judge a player properly after 10 games but a players first touch never gets magically better just because he's got a run in the team. It's something you can work on, but essentially, you have it or you don't.

Sammon doesn't.

Hulse didn't either though. He was better in the air than Sammon but his first touch was never brilliant.

Really dissapointed in what I've seen so far for a £1.2m+ player. I know in the context of the current British transfer market that's not actually a great deal, but can't help feeling a scouting mission abroad could have got us a player twice as good.

Sammon? At least he's bald.

By the way, I've heard there's one spaniard in Chelsea who's slowly getting better after having bad start... And someone has said he ain't as bad as he seems to be. Could be only rumours, though.

A player though who has proven quality, compared to one who as yet hasn't made it or proved he can at an English club....not really a comparison.

However I do agree its to early to judge.

Sammon works well with Ward because Ward plays off of him, Theo can't do that as well. Sure, Theo can run with the ball and can feed off of a target man atleast partially, but far better for him to be sent running on goal, which requires someone to play him in.

As Bris says, a flat midfield means only Theo would be playing off of him, everyone else is too far behind play to have an effect on loose balls, meaning neither striker is being played through. That leaves you with very little creativity coming off of any ball to Sammon directly when trying to start attacks, we'd be far better off using Jacobs and Coutts all game and crossing it into the box or cutting the ball across goal with those two upfront.

That way Sammon can use his strength and lead the line, and Theo can work off of the knock downs in the box and try to beat his mean to centres or passes inside the box. With Ward back, he can pick the ball up and feed Sammon where necessary, or Theo for that matter. Expecting Sammon to win a ball in the air, then control it and be able to feed Theo all in one go isn't going to be a success if he doesn't possess great control.

Who do you think we could have brought in for that?

Gary Madine, possibly. Baldock was £1.5m, only £300k more, that could've been appearance based if we'd wanted him.

Though our targets have to fall within the wage bracket, which limits us further.

I think he'll prove himself to be worth that sort of fee. He's not had an amazing start to the season but he's been far from awful so far. Plenty of time for him to prove himself yet.

Baldocks a good shout, wages are the main thing though as you say Alex. He's also very similar to Theo though, got to have options upfront, we'd have no height bar Tyson.

We needed a striker in Sammons mould, whether he's the man for it we're yet to see but I wouldn't write him off yet.

Not a fan of Madine, struggling to get into relegation placed Wednesday too.

It's a shame Savies wanted out, he hasn't lost his goalscoring touch it seems.

Gary Madine, possibly. Baldock was £1.5m, only £300k more, that could've been appearance based if we'd wanted him.

Though our targets have to fall within the wage bracket, which limits us further.

A mate a work made a good point about Sammon. We we're talking about this exact subject and he said "no, he's not a 15-20 goal a season striker, but he'll make Ward one. Not a goalscorer at any stretch on the imagination. We'll have to see

I think he'll prove himself to be worth that sort of fee. He's not had an amazing start to the season but he's been far from awful so far. Plenty of time for him to prove himself yet.

Baldocks a good shout, wages are the main thing though as you say Alex. He's also very similar to Theo though, got to have options upfront, we'd have no height bar Tyson.

We needed a striker in Sammons mould, whether he's the man for it we're yet to see but I wouldn't write him off yet.

Not a fan of Madine, struggling to get into relegation placed Wednesday too.

It's a shame Savies wanted out, he hasn't lost his goalscoring touch it seems.

Not a bad overhead for the lad it seems. I hope he does well. Obvious cares about the club and hates the red dogs 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':D' />

Archived