Connor Sammon Success or Failure?

upinsideyouhead

Connor Sammon Success or Failure?  

93 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

The "peak" of Kuqi's career was as a bit part player in a poor premier league team... which is, wait for it, exactly what Sammon was for Wigan... So... yeh, SOOOOOOO much better...

Very few players in the world can hold up a ball with 2 CBs breathing down their neck when the nearest player is 20 yards away...

When we play 4 5 1 he's up against 2 CBs meaning one can pressure him and the other can make the challenge...

He doesn't have pin-point control, but very few championship players do... In fact not a lot of Premier League players do...

Kuqi scored 20 goals in a Championship season, commanded a £2.5 million transfer fee and signed by a number of Premier League clubs at different points in his career. Not bigging him up, cos i dont even really rate him very highly, but Sammon will never achieve anything close to what Kuqi has.

The nearest player isnt 20 yards away the majority of the time. They're usually within passing distance but he fails to make the pass cos his first touch is usually the ball bouncing off him giving the opposition player the chance to tackle him.

Your last point is just acceptance of your argument having no weight. I could name you at least 15 Championship strikers with better ball control than Sammon. I could name you at least 5 players in our starting 11 with better ball control than Sammon.

• Replies 394
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kuqi scored 20 goals in a Championship season,

No he didn't...

commanded a £2.5 million transfer fee

That worked out pretty well for him (17 goals in 78 appearances)

I could name you at least 15 Championship strikers with better ball control than Sammon.

Any of them just had an international call up?

Problem is, people comment on footballers they don't have a clue about and haven't watched. Fans tend to look at stats and take them as bread and butter.

One thing Sammon has in his advantage is people don't like to play against him, that much is obvious enough - he is constantly visible on the pitch, again, there is about 80% of strikers that go missing in this division, his touch isn't anywhere near as bad as made out and the agreeable point out of all of this is, he isn't being used correctly because he isn't a target man, he can't play 4-5-1.

He is always up against 2/3 defenders and this is because he is expected to win the ball get it down and knock it to someone even against these 2/3 defenders, now switch the roles, if you was the defending side and the other team had a player that was doing this consistently in a game, you'd be screaming blue murder at the defence for allowing it.

I think the key is to get him a partner, play it in to feet and for me I would perhaps play him 20 yards deeper into our formation and put someone infront of him but I'm no football manager, neither is anyone on here.

How anyone can say le fondre, or anyone would be better is beyond me, highlights aside has anyone seen him play? Anyone actually watched him enough to be confident on this, I don't know about the rest of you but I don't make a habit of going to Rotherham or Reading games... So couldn't say either way.

Well done on completely losing your argument by making three points that were either pointless, or wrong.

Best he ever did was 19 in a season... Once...

The move to Palace for a 'reported' £2.5 million didn't go well, He scored less a season that Sammon already has and he then got sent out on loan to places where he also failed to score...

Sammon has just been recognised by a manager who is rather well respected to represent his country... I'm not sure what your scouting pedigree is but I'm pretty sure it's not as good as Trappatoni's... I may be wrong about that... but, well... I'm not...

Also, this is Sammon's first season in the Championship... He's 26... Don't see any reason he couldn't get 19 at some point...

Kuqi scored 20 goals in a Championship season, commanded a £2.5 million transfer fee and signed by a number of Premier League clubs at different points in his career. Not bigging him up, cos i dont even really rate him very highly, but Sammon will never achieve anything close to what Kuqi has.

The nearest player isnt 20 yards away the majority of the time. They're usually within passing distance but he fails to make the pass cos his first touch is usually the ball bouncing off him giving the opposition player the chance to tackle him.

Your last point is just acceptance of your argument having no weight. I could name you at least 15 Championship strikers with better ball control than Sammon. I could name you at least 5 players in our starting 11 with better ball control than Sammon.

Not sure commanding a fee makes you a good player, does it?

At 26 I find it amazing how you can so quickly claim Sammon will acheive nothing. He's got 5 years left before he starts to deteriorate, and he's just been called up to the Ireland squad. His future doesn't look bad to me.

On Saturday in the first half he was completely isolated upfront - not sure if you were there but that is a fact, whether you like it or not. One of the few times anyone was anywhere near him, he laid the ball off to Ward who shot high and wide.

The equaliser wouldn't have happened without him. I can't think of a player in our team who would have had the b*llocks and the strength to win that ball and run with it before feeding Ward. His touch and weighted pass looked ok to me in that instance.

'His first touch is usually the ball bouncing off him giving the opposition the chance to tackle him'. I'm sorry to p*ss on your parade but I'm afraid that's just not accurate information. You're implying that with the ball at his feet over half of the time the ball bounces off him. Rubbish.

I know you don't like the bloke because he has a poor goalscoring record (and the fact he was signed by Clough, who you clearly have a problem with), but the bigger question is was he ever bought for his goals? If we had a fit Jamie Ward we'd have a striker who would get us 15 goals a season - Sammon's a great foil for him, and that could easily blossom in to a 25/30 goal a season partnership.

I see him as a team player 1st, striker 2nd. He's not a goalscorer but, not for the first time, on Saturday he showed how important his contribution can be.

He has weaknesses, plenty of them, but he also has strengths. Try looking at them.

Best he ever did was 19 in a season... Once...

The move to Palace for a 'reported' £2.5 million didn't go well, He scored less a season that Sammon already has and he then got sent out on loan to places where he also failed to score...

Sammon has just been recognised by a manager who is rather well respected to represent his country... I'm not sure what your scouting pedigree is but I'm pretty sure it's not as good as Trappatoni's... I may be wrong about that... but, well... I'm not...

Also, this is Sammon's first season in the Championship... He's 26... Don't see any reason he couldn't get 19 at some point...

I was going on Wiki, if it was 19, then fair enough i apologise, doesnt make a difference, still more than Sammon has ever achieved. Dont know why you're focussing on Kuqi so much, it's neither here nor there who's better. All I've said is that Kuqi achieved more in his career than Sammon has so far and is likely to, which you cant argue with.

You're definitely scraping the barrel now using his international call up, for the ROI, in a friendly match as weight behind your argument. Cos Trappatini has got an abundance of talent to choose from.

Also as always, it doesn't matter who scores the goals as long as someone does - Sammon may not have goals to his name but IMO has improved our attacking threat as a team - whereas Savies was more clinical and technically the better player but used to play in his own little hole and his own little game... He scored more goals, and has continued to impress at Bristol but as a team we have improved with Sammon contributing more of the less 'glam' jobs..

Of course this is my opinion and nothing can be proved to back this up...

All I've said is that Kuqi achieved more in his career than Sammon has so far and is likely to, which you cant argue with.

Yes I can... Unless you're from the future?

You're definitely scraping the barrel now using his international call up, for the ROI, in a friendly match as weight behind your argument. Cos Trappatini has got an abundance of talent to choose from.

Erm, International call up for a side which isn't too bad (Walters, Long and Doyle are all pretty decent names to be alongside)

Also as always, it doesn't matter who scores the goals as long as someone does - Sammon may not have goals to his name but IMO has improved our attacking threat as a team - whereas Savies was more clinical and technically the better player but used to play in his own little hole and his own little game... He scored more goals, and has continued to impress at Bristol but as a team we have improved with Sammon contributing more of the less 'glam' jobs..

Of course this is my opinion and nothing can be proved to back this up...

Our midfield is better than any Savies played with (he was injured during our good run in late 2010).

Our midfield is better than any Savies played with (he was injured during our good run in late 2010).

Savies just needed Bavies.. Cracking partnership, remember last season Bavies had been out he team and Savies had been injured, we was on an awful streak and it was Savies first Mae back, Bavies came on with 15 minutes to go and the two combined to win us the game.. Good pair!

I would like to see Sammon and Savies together, don't know why he moved - could of been the difference this season IMO

Yes I can... Unless you're from the future?

Erm, International call up for a side which isn't too bad (Walters, Long and Doyle are all pretty decent names to be alongside)

Ok, you can, but there's absolutely no basis to, his entire goal scoring record up till now suggests he wont score 19 goals in a season at this level of football. Any predictions to say he will is pure speculation with no creditable basis.

The International call up means nothing, tons of average players get call ups for Wales, ROI, Scotland etc. Plus it's only a friendly for the manager to have a look at him. If he's starting in qualifiers then there's some weight behind your point.

This season I've been to 7 games and watched 5 through sky/steaming as well as a few of the 90 minute highlights on ramsplayer.

I'll address Asanovic's post later, trying to play poker and getting distracted.

Archived