Connor Sammon Success or Failure?

upinsideyouhead

Connor Sammon Success or Failure?  

93 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 394
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think he's half as bad some some fans make out. People say he can't hit a barn door etc, I'd probably agree if he was missing chance after chance but he hasn't had a sniff today. Nor did he against BHA as the supply to him is absolutely pants at the minute. He plays the majority of his game facing away from the opposition's goal and he's the best striker we have for that. His touch, passing etc might be wayward sometimes but he's still much better than we have got.

I'm not going to get too critical when we simply aren't creating anything for him.

You say that, but Ward has 4 goals, Bryson 3, Robinson 4, Buxton 3, I mean if we're not creating goals then how have they scored 3x and 4x more than him? If you're telling me that Sammon is a player who can't "create a goal out of nothing" then is he good enough? Should it ALWAYS be down to other players to create the goals for him? Now lets say we're not creating enough goals for Sammon, surely you can't deny that we've created chances for him to have say 3 or 4 more goals this season? Also you've got to realise the mental side of the game too. Players need to have confidence in strikers, they need to know that they have a player, or players on the pitch that can get the ball in the back of the net if they create a chance. Sammon doesn't give them this confidence, when he got given the ball today he did nothing but waste it. He had a bad game, and he's had many before it. You've got to put most of the blame on him for his lack of goals, not the rest of the team.

reckon thats abit harsh. he only needs a little run of goals and he'll remember what its like. he contributes much more than robinson for example but robinson somehow manages to score. and i cant explain that... because he is simply one of the crappest footballers i have ever seen. but he finds the net...so fair play to him. sammon will score a few before the seasons out. 10 or so.... and when he gets settled he'll improve as he'll know his role in the team better. abit like robinson did last season. cos he was SHHHHEEEET when he first came

He was useless yesterday. He might aswell stuck a Blackburn shirt on. A pass to Sammon was a pass to Rovers. Awful.

Yesterday was not an acceptable performance from him. He even lost the ball 20 yards out by being out muscled which finally ended in the goal I think.

2/10.

I'll stick with him for a bit though. But I've never been so happy to see Tyson

Callium Ballbag has the physical attributes to play the hold-up role but doesn't use these attributes as well as he could so got loaned to cov.

We paid a million plus for Sammon and I think he is exactly the same to be honest.

Needs a goal for confidence? He got one and that didn't work!

Early days and he doesn't get much service but I too am a bit disappointed so far.

What him and Theo did in large chunks of the first half was try to make Bryson, Hendrick and Hughes look awful.

Ok so some passes were obvious, but lots of times our midfield had the ball and Sammon and Theo would go and hold Givet's hand.

Sometimes the best way to find space in football is to stand still. SOMETIMES!!

Those two were standing targets. And when they did run it was to go and stand behind the nearest defender.

Eventually when Theo started moving them around a bit some space opened up. Coutts and Bryson started moving into gaps and Hendrick and Hughes had gaps to play into.

Seriously, I thought Sammon was a Blackburn CB sometimes.

I don't judge goals or assists. Just performances. I don't care who scores. If we are good or bad, WHY are we good or bad.

Kuqi was no scorer for us. The best bit about Howard wasn't his goals. Sometimes scoring isn't enough. Either score goals (Savies) or work for the team (Kuqi).

Or both if you can.

You say that, but Ward has 4 goals, Bryson 3, Robinson 4, Buxton 3, I mean if we're not creating goals then how have they scored 3x and 4x more than him? If you're telling me that Sammon is a player who can't "create a goal out of nothing" then is he good enough? Should it ALWAYS be down to other players to create the goals for him? Now lets say we're not creating enough goals for Sammon, surely you can't deny that we've created chances for him to have say 3 or 4 more goals this season? Also you've got to realise the mental side of the game too. Players need to have confidence in strikers, they need to know that they have a player, or players on the pitch that can get the ball in the back of the net if they create a chance. Sammon doesn't give them this confidence, when he got given the ball today he did nothing but waste it. He had a bad game, and he's had many before it. You've got to put most of the blame on him for his lack of goals, not the rest of the team.

Out of the players you name, only Ward creates his own goals. Every other player has had the luxury of tapping a ball in or taking penalties and freekicks for the main.

Your entitled to heap the blame on him, I'm entitled to heap the majority of the blame on the people supplying our strikers. Noticeably our goals have dried up from freekicks and corners which is down to the lack of quality of delivery, It's not like we're setting up our strikers for them to miss chance after chance, our goals in the last few games have been very scrappy bar the Bryson Forest one. Nigel even addressed this in his post match interview and I agree with him, our final ball isn't as good as it should be. Arguably the best cross yesterday was from this man himself!

He has missed chances in previous games, Wolves and Burnley the stand out but I wouldn't say he's had "many bad games". He's just doing enough to keep his place.

Yesterday he didn't play well enough, neither did Theo for that matter. He's just got the knack of being in the right place at the right time, and abit of help from the GK.

way too early to tell imo - but he had a stinker yesterday.

Agreed. He had a stinker.

Then again, the Blackburn defence was solid and always looked more likely to be troubled by a bit of pace and trickery than by the likes of Sammon.

So far Sammon hasn't looked like a bargain. Maybe we paid too much for him. On the other hand he did seem to be forming a useful partnership with Ward. He may have tried to form a siimilar understanding with Theo – but of course that’s doomed to failure as Theo has no idea what Theo's going to do from one Theo second to the next.

Sammon will probably do a consistent enough job for the team eventually – but, like Tyson or Theo, no one seriously believes he is a quality striker. Clough knows we need a quality striker. All of PP knows we need a quality striker. Clough has said he can’t afford a quality striker.

Over to you Mr Appleby.

How can you decide already whether he's a failure or not?

He had a bad game yesterday. He's had 2 or 3 decent games since he joined.

The problem is, he's not a traditional goalscorer. His job is to hassle people, hold the ball up, try to bring people in. He couldn't do it yesterday, but he has shown glimpses of it since he came here. Might take a while but it seems to early to press the panic button just now.

How can you decide already whether he's a failure or not?

He had a bad game yesterday. He's had 2 or 3 decent games since he joined.

The problem is, he's not a traditional goalscorer. His job is to hassle people, hold the ball up, try to bring people in. He couldn't do it yesterday, but he has shown glimpses of it since he came here. Might take a while but it seems to early to press the panic button just now.

Cos you can tell whether a player has got a good touch or not after watching them for 5 minutes. Like after watching Theo for 5 minutes you can tell he couldnt control the ball.

Sammon has got useful attributes, but you know already his ability on the ball isnt one of them, which straight away will hold him and the team back.

Archived